Wolfsburg Wizard
Disciple of Kol

No Avatar

Threads: 48

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Hungry!

wink.gif posted on May 21st, 2003 at 08:47 PM
REALLY REALLY cheap Paint job

A few ppl have been asking about cheap paint jobs - to tide 'em over till the $$$ roll in for the real thing.

I am considering 2 possibilities.

1. POR15 Hardnose available in a number of colours, brush on with no brushmarks and VERY TUFF. 1 litre covers 11 m2 so I am guessing that 2-3 litres would cover my kombi @~ $46 per litre.

2. Coach Paint at this stage it looks as though I would have to order from the UK. It is also brush on with no brushmarks and needs to be done on a cool day. It has a wide coverage with ~ 1 litre per Kombi and a cost ~20 English Pounds per litre, best of all for you "Stockists" it can be mixed to orignal VW colours.

The reason I am looking at brush on is that I can't spray, dont have any gear to learn, dont have anywhere to practice, but want to do the work on my bus myself ($$$$)

This site has a lot of info about Caoch paint http://www.kampaman.co.uk 

I have emailed the Kampaman for info and will post it here - I also gave him our website address so he may even show up himself.

" Captain Picard, why are there no Indians on the Enterprise ? Don't you need IT Support ? "
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on May 21st, 2003 at 08:52 PM

If your trying to buy paint from overseas
Quote:

Coach Paint at this stage it looks as though I would have to order from the UK

then you will have to pay for special packaging as paint is considered DANGEROUS goods
and has to be handled as such seeing all mail to Aussie comes in via aeroplanes nowdays.

Memberfatboy
Wolfsburg Wizard
Disciple of Kol

No Avatar

Threads: 48

Mood: Hungry!

posted on May 21st, 2003 at 08:56 PM

BUGGA - Mind you at 40 pounds to paint a kombi you afford to spend a bit on postage.

" Captain Picard, why are there no Indians on the Enterprise ? Don't you need IT Support ? "
Memberhool
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 8

Mood: moody

posted on May 22nd, 2003 at 12:08 PM

surely you could rent the spray equipment for a day? i helped a mate spray his car a couple of years ago (neither of us had ever done it before), only took about 2 days to remove all the bits, sand it down, spray it a few times in primer then colour (acrylic, not 2 pack) then put it back together again.

we did it in the open in his backyard and it came up really well (not as good as a pro job, but good enough for what it cost)
Memberwarb
Custom Title Time!
gimme some butter im on a roll.....

Threads: 118

Mood: ORR50M

posted on May 22nd, 2003 at 12:50 PM

i agree. see if u can get your hands on some loan equipment, have helped mates do some awesome work in the backyard,

grab a spray kit, a 'how-to 'book and i'm sure the results will suprise you :D:D:D
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on May 22nd, 2003 at 01:40 PM

I believe You will have problems getting a litre or so of inflammable paint from the UK to Australia... Its going to end up costing approx $200.... I would go with the Renta-air compressor and spray gun..
Its not too difficult to do.... although You won't do a perfect job.... it should look better than brush on....
I'm lucky, My son is a spray painter by trade... but I like to fiddle around, especially with undercoat or primer...
:thumb:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:thumb

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Memberwrecker67
A.k.a.: craig
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 160

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Green
Mood: fishing,beach,sun,fishing,

posted on May 22nd, 2003 at 04:46 PM

paint jobs of the 60s,with a brush,just heat up some enamel,then brush on.i have not tryed it but guys,im in sydney west,just let me know how cheap you want a spray over,if you want just a clean quick blow over,but with a good finish.u2u me,i will give you a price....

hey dave,have not meet you yet ,will soon.paul got me started in the club vee dub,you have seen my quick job on lizs colourfull bug,still looks good after 2 years..cheers:beer:beer

Go To Top