Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 20822 | Total Replies: 251 | Thread Id: 67927 ]
 Pages:  1  ..  7  8  9
Author: Subject:  BajaChris's Adventures. CB turbo manifold arrived. CT26 mock up
Membergrinderman
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 50

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on April 21st, 2015 at 09:27 PM
Feeling the VW love

Awesome photos Chris. It was a pleasure to meet another veedubber over at straddy and it looks like you had a great time as well.
What is it about VW based weddings on straddy................
(hope you dont mind this pic from our 24th anniversary at the same location the next day !)
Cheers, Greg

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Memberbaghall
Custom Title Time!
Ben Hal Outlaw Bushranger

Threads: 131

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Kids think I'm obsessed!

posted on April 21st, 2015 at 09:52 PM

Congrats, nice photos at the beach!

68 Baja - It's a growing pain!
58 Baja ute - and the pain spreads!
85 T3 Kombi - still growing
89 T3 Kombi - parts car
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on May 15th, 2015 at 05:02 PM

haha was great meeting ya Greg! and good to have a yarn too. I appreciated the convo as I needed it to take my mind of things with the usual wedding rat race to the finish line. I never want to go through that prep/stress again :lol:

Great photo! looks like u had a great time :D, yea the vw and fun thing on the island go hand in hand ay?

I think it warrants a rename of Deadman's reserve... thinking something German haha.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on May 15th, 2015 at 05:04 PM

And so now we finally have a 2054cc SP long block :S, only took a yr and a half since achieving short block geez! 0.050'' deck height, 8.4:1 comp ratio, Big delays from head work (porting, unshrouding, machining to 61cc each, 3 dremel-knock offs later) and getting deck right. Will it pay off? Who knows!!?! Now onto rocker geometry... eep.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/bajachris88/IMG_2155_zpshma3xwxb.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/bajachris88/IMG_2158_zpsj7fyu9cr.jpg

I love the Jaycee pushrod bling. Pity it ain't topside

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/bajachris88/IMG_2159_zpswfd1fshb.jpg

Yes the garage needs a good clean / sort :D

Chris.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Membergrinderman
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 50

posted on May 15th, 2015 at 07:04 PM

Engine looks like it's coming along nicely Chris, will be very interesting seeing your induction setup. 31's or larger tyres in soft sand will be the test. Hopefully a light touch of the throttle in second gear will see you clearing every sandtrap or hill climb
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on June 26th, 2015 at 03:32 PM

Thanks! yea she worked hard on the sand last time i drove her with the 31's, even with teh 3 rib. The engine is so tired... you could smell the heat after a 10 minute drive up Main Beach on Straddie.

Engine progressing slowly but surely. just finalised rocker geometry, but need to grind the swivel foot studs to channel oil a little further down to meet the hole. Finally got my hands on a lathe and cut the push rods accordingly.

Pics below!:

CB Turbo manifold came in yesterday. Thought i'd throw a quick mock up for motivation. I will need to rotate the compressor wheel housing (just a v-band). Can't get to excited yet, got plenty more to go. water injection, air to air intercooler, wide band and CB black box with turbo retard still on the 'to be procured' list. Let alone downpipe and fueling.

Carbs are Dual 32DIS SOLEX on Weber ICT manifolds. straight fit. Will need to clearance the fan shroud for the one the right.

Should have a bit of zing hopefully :D

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/bajachris88/IMG_2335_zpszxcuvlww.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/bajachris88/IMG_2336_zpsspd5m5hw.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/bajachris88/IMG_2337_zps0vj7l4ac.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/bajachris88/IMG_2341_zpsrgie3djg.jpg

I found reports of a 1.8 litre (not vw) with a CT26 starting spool around 2000 rpm, so this 2054 should crank this puppy according for sorting the SP top end drop. With the low ratio gearbox this spool should come quick i'd assume. Turbo came from a GT4. Turbo was a low km freebie so worst case just swap over the flanges for a smaller turbo if not suitable.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on June 28th, 2015 at 01:53 PM

*likebutton* :smirk:

Is there any reasons you went carb instead of EFI?

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on June 28th, 2015 at 02:24 PM

Thanks Pete!

I originally bought the carbs simply for familiarity on the vw application, tried & tested and the upfront costs were a bit gentler at the time. Different senario now though, and efi isn't a bad idea. Might be the next upgrade. Haven't seen many SP efi dubs. Will work with what i have so far, but will see what the future brings. A vw is never finished right:?: :lol:

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on July 7th, 2015 at 03:54 PM

Actually, SPs are a nightmare to put injectors on the ports right. So going carb might be a bigger blessing than you think.

A quick search on thesamba or shoptalkforums has a gaggle of SP turbos. Check this out...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271444&postdays=0&po...

140hp at the wheels from a mostly stock motor at 20PSI! 158ft/lbs of torque, which is where the real fun is. Your's should spool a bit faster and give a really big torque curve. There was a similar SP stroker on youtube a while back. I went looking for it but couldn't find the car. Lots of boost, drag racing and he couldn't kill it. The SP heads really restrict the flow, but that's what saves the engine's life.

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on July 9th, 2015 at 12:28 PM

The SP heads i'll be using are the big valve heavily ported / polished ones from this thread that I used the manometry test on: http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=102675#pid962366  I got them to flow just shy of 12% better than stock DP heads prior to unshrouding the valves.

15 psi would be my max I rekon, which I won't be hitting all the time, but it could get addictive. I'd be starting low and then seeing what the limitations are of heat and fuelling. I think the three rib trans might say no :lol: I'd love 120 hp personally. It would probably be triple what i currently am getting from the tired 1600.

I assume with SP injected one would have to have 2 big injectors, one for each side a fair distance from the head and to simply spray a constant stream similar to a carb jet under vacuum.

Anywho, sooner i finish her, sooner I can get to Fraser Is! (tis the dream; map is on the wall).

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
MemberSmiley
A.k.a.: Daniel Stephens
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 110

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Synchro'd

posted on July 9th, 2015 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajachris88Anywho, sooner i finish her, sooner I can get to Fraser Is! (tis the dream; map is on the wall).

Count me in!!! :cool:

Smiley :)

If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on July 10th, 2015 at 12:56 AM

sweet!!! Pete you in? :lol:

The dream of hittin Fraser in teh baja will be a life achievement for me :D, something to tell the kids.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
 Pages:  1  ..  7  8  9

Go To Top