Member58camper
A.k.a.: Bill Moore
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 110

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Curt but friendly

posted on April 1st, 2008 at 08:47 PM
TYRES FOR COUNTRY BUGGY

Has anyone recently purchase rubber for their CB.?
There are a couple of guys looking for a suitable tyre to run on their CBs which are close to the original 5.60 X 15 but have a but of an off road capability. They needs some chunk.
Four years ago I purchased a Dunlop which were made in NZ which did the trick but they are not available now.
Any help with atyre brand or distributor will be appreciated.
Countrybuggybill
Membermackaymanx
A.k.a.: Brent
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 97

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Brad'ed Off :td:

posted on April 1st, 2008 at 08:59 PM

Try here http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/tyres.html 

Quote of the week
"Do I wish to send them to you again, nope, no interest can't be bothered really, to much hassle for little or no return."

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-18600.png
MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

Threads: 235

Mood: happy to help

posted on April 1st, 2008 at 09:02 PM

I've got those Cooper Sportsmans on mine (not on road yet) but they don't have much 'chunk'...

Pay your debts, CxxT
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on April 1st, 2008 at 11:34 PM
WINTER TREADS ???

did they have "winter treads" originally Bill ??

Lee

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Member58camper
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on April 2nd, 2008 at 08:10 PM

Lee.
I have seen the old Dunlop Winter Treads listed as an option for the original release. Many of them came with BF Goodrich Silvertowns from what I can see.

Its damn difficult to find something right to fit these days.

Had a look at Antique Tyres website and there is nothing really there with some "meat"
Super ModeratorBUGBOY
Super Moderator
Chief Toy Dude / Head Cruiser

Rank Avatar

Threads: 403

Mood: A wise German once said

posted on April 7th, 2008 at 03:37 PM
tyre groover

we made our own chunks! LOLs

Everything 36HP !
Change over king and link spindles
6-12volt semaphores
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/BUGBOY1976/13349829.gif
Find us on Facebook
MemberCB CRAIG
A.k.a.: Craig Archer
Commited Dubber

Threads: 3

Mood: Indecisive

posted on April 8th, 2008 at 08:23 PM

Hi Bill,
There are two tyres i have seen that are a winter tread and are the corect size.One tyre is called a"Victoria"and the other is"Concord"they boath have almost the same tread pattern.They are a European tyre,i picked up a set from a swap meet.I dont know who brings them into the country orif they bring them in anymore.
Regards Craig.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/CBCRAIG1/Picture004-1.jpg
Memberztnoo
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 120

Mood: Dazed & Confused

posted on April 9th, 2008 at 08:56 PM

When you gents refer to "winter treads", I must admit I am fully amused.

Since the bulk of continental Australia is much closer than where I live to the equator.......I imagine that only a few of you truly know about "winter".....and thus the need for "winter treads", meaning snow tires; significant energy (cost) expenditure to heat one's home, and just plain fighting cold, wet elements for a prolonged period. Where I live that means about five months worth of winter fun. Here we generally call the tires you are discussing "Mud and Snow" tires, and they often come with a "M & S" designation cast into the sidewall lettering on the tire. Although mud is likely a more common occurrence in Oz, I do know with the years of drought and the ensuing wildfire danger associated with prolonged arid conditions, I bet that mud is not often a problem one encounters, even beating around in the bush. Although I know southern Oz cools down a bit during your "winter", our "winters" don't begin to compare, IMO.
I view Australia as this:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/152/ARV-895-endless-summer-post~The-Endless-Summer-Posters.jpg

My location @ 40.49N -85.63W ....is roughly the same latitude North as that of Stanley in the northwest Tasmania is South @ 40.45S -145.17W. Actually Smithton is closer to the same latitude @ 40.50S. I know conditions in Tasmania can be difficult at times, but I doubt many of you really have a good understanding of "winter". ;)

So, being a "temperate" climate in the middle of a huge continental land mass, we are subject to wide ranging conditions on a year round basis. I am 59 years old and in my lifetime here where I reside in north central Indiana, I have seen temperature variations from about 105 degrees Fahrenheit to -25 degree Fahrenheit (40.5 Celsius to -31.6 Celsius).
In February of 1978 we had a blizzard here which was one of those once in a hundred years or once in a lifetime events. We had between 15 and 20 inches of snow, winds were blowing in the 50-70 mph range, and temperatures of -25 Fahrenheit. The conditions added up to wind chill values of approximately -70 Fahrenheit (-56.6 Celsius). I guarantee you, that is damed COLD!!!!
We had drifts of snow as high as 10 feet. I was stranded 90 miles north of my home for one week, and even though I was only a few miles off an Interstate highway, you couldn't go anywhere because none of the roads were passable, including the Interstate.

Frankly those are conditions when even M&S treads aren't of much use on a vehicle, because of the danger of being out very long in those conditions unless one is very appropriately dressed to meet the climatic conditions.
I'd rather fry for a while in the Oz sunshine, even without M & S treaded tires.
;)

Regards,
Steve

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/ztnoo/laidbackroo.jpg
Fine tuning the proper daily ratio of Maxwell House to Bacardi 151.........

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
Member58camper
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on April 10th, 2008 at 02:05 PM
WINTER TREAD TYRES

Steve,
I can appreciate your US winter having spent two winters in and around Boston and New Hampshire. We here in Oz are blessed with winters where the thermometers sit on the right side of zero across most of our big brown land.
Yes, Mud and Snow is probably a more description of what I am looking for the Country Buggy. Problem is getting tyres here 165 ( 5.60) X 15 or similar with some sort of off road capability.
I have scoured the internet and have even tried to follow through with the brands "Victoria" and "Concord" that CB Craig referred to in this thread. Still not much luck anywhere.
Will keep trying and someone will have the answer.
Regards,
Bill.

Go To Top