Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1812 | Total Replies: 7 | Thread Id: 73021 ]
Author: Subject:  Lift spindles in Australia?
MemberGeneral_Failure
A.k.a.: Tristan
Custom Title Time!
Use your head, don't abuse it!

Threads: 107

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: Not too bad. Thanks for asking!

posted on November 21st, 2008 at 08:29 PM
Lift spindles in Australia?

G'day.

Just wondering if lift spindles are legal here? I want them for my bay, or the torsion bar adjuster or something. I don't actually care about it being adjustable. I just want to take it up, and stay somewhere near road legal.

I know I've posted on this in the past, but my project is starting to take shape in a backyard mechanic style beer, music and tools kind of way. It'll always be a rat as it had a hard life and the original 70's camper conversion was pretty bodge, so I'm just saying to hell with originality and doing things my way.

I do want to use it for camping and travelling, suited to me so a lift is really pretty necessary. I think I can get away with lifting the rear a little and putting some nice big wheels on the back, but we all know how small the arches for the front are.

If at first you don't succeed. Build, build again.
Vehicle: 1975 Special order delivery walkthrough panel based LCA pop-top camper. Motor: Nippon 1.8L Single port Wasserboxer, Transmission: 3 rib 002.
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on November 21st, 2008 at 09:30 PM

Custom Vee Dub - http://www.customveedub.com.au  do a Lifted Front Beam for a bay Window kombi and also do rear flares for them :

http://www.customveedub.com.au/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=12 

http://www.customveedub.com.au/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=18 

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberGeneral_Failure
Custom Title Time!

posted on November 21st, 2008 at 09:59 PM

Wow. Thanks!

Where does the lift come from in the baja beam?

And what benefit does it have over an adjustable beam where the price comes out about even. Not defending any particular type. Just trying to understand what's out there and the pros / cons.

Vehicle: 1975 Special order delivery walkthrough panel based LCA pop-top camper. Motor: Nippon 1.8L Single port Wasserboxer, Transmission: 3 rib 002.
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

posted on November 21st, 2008 at 10:29 PM

The lift in the CVD Beam is from th e12mm drop plates welded to the mounting points which allow you to fit it 3" lower thus raising your bus. These beams alos have adjusters for height and adjustable bump stops.

The beaty of them is that you can drop them up or down to suit. They were making them at 2", 3" and 4" on the one beam so you could pick your height.

If you wanted one without adjusters I am sure they would drop about $300 - $350 in price.

Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberGeneral_Failure
Custom Title Time!

posted on November 22nd, 2008 at 10:51 AM

So they adjust too? Very nice. Couldn't tell what was going on in the pic too well with all the black on black.

What allowances have to be made for steering when doing this? Realignment for height change, elongated rods, different rods for different heights?

Teach me, Master!

MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

posted on November 22nd, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by General_Failure
So they adjust too? Very nice. Couldn't tell what was going on in the pic too well with all the black on black.

What allowances have to be made for steering when doing this? Realignment for height change, elongated rods, different rods for different heights?

Adjust too - Yes

Picture is a car part not a fashon shoot.

Steering does not change as uch. You dog leg your idler shaft and cut the bottom off the cross member where it currently passes through. As it is jointed both ends with an idler on the beam there are no issues at all.

So in summary if you bought one of these beams then you could pull yours off, bolt this one on, dog leg your idler shaft and bolt your arms etc on and walla up to about 5 " of lift if you want it. Enough to clear 31 x 10.5 x 15 inch tyres. Although most only go 235 x 75 x 15 as with the 31's steering is a biatch

Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberGeneral_Failure
Custom Title Time!

posted on November 22nd, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Heh. Yeah I know it's not a fashion shoot :) Nice looking beam though. Might have a career in modelling.

what method is used to put the dog leg in?

Just went hunting because I couldn't really visualise the 31x10.5x15 tyres. Those things are massive! Can't say I'm surprised there are steering issues.

Still need to find a set of 15" rims too. Victoria is pretty dry for merc parts.

Thanks for all the info.

Memberphilsmanx
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: excited

posted on January 7th, 2009 at 01:00 PM

the guy at sharpbuilt does these droped spindles 3 inches he tells me and they have brackets for disk brakes not sure on cost contact him

on the rebuild ej25 monster bug on the way

Go To Top