Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 810 | Total Replies: 3 | Thread Id: 73971 ]
Author: Subject:  Need a (free) hand with any bug work? Maybe I can help. Brisbane.
Memberpaladin
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 12

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Abandoning my search for truth and now looking for a good fantasy.

posted on January 11th, 2009 at 03:10 PM
Need a (free) hand with any bug work? Maybe I can help. Brisbane.

Hey all. I'm slowly starting to do some work on my '70 beetle.

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to all stuff mechanical and body related. I figure a good a way as any to learn is to assist someone who knows what they're doing and might be doing some resotration or mechanical work on their own car. So. . . if anyone needs a weekend hand on their project, please let me know. As I said, I'm no expert, but am keen and friendly and learn fast.

I don't want money or anything - just looking to get my hands dirty. I'm in Kenmore in the western suburbs, but can travel within Brissie.

Thanks!

Craig.
Membereraser
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 128

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Powder

posted on January 11th, 2009 at 03:35 PM

Im sure there would be a VW club up there in Brisy, they can often be worth joining for the people there.

On the other hand i taught / am teaching myself i found the VW-diy videos to be good starting point on how to pull a motor down (problem being these videos are from the 70's and alot of the stuff they say you cant do (e.g 40 year old motor just exchange for new case really means rebuild motor.)

http://www.vwgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/banner.jpg

Memberpaladin
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 12

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Abandoning my search for truth and now looking for a good fantasy.

posted on January 11th, 2009 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eraser
Im sure there would be a VW club up there in Brisy, they can often be worth joining for the people there.

On the other hand i taught / am teaching myself i found the VW-diy videos to be good starting point on how to pull a motor down (problem being these videos are from the 70's and alot of the stuff they say you cant do (e.g 40 year old motor just exchange for new case really means rebuild motor.)

Cheers, Eraser! Yeah, I'm wanting to hook up with the Bad Little Buggers club as they seem the liveliest in the Brissie scene. I figure if I get to Bugs at the Pub in Feb then I can join up there.

Have you seen the Bug Me videos? I bought myself some for Chrissie, and they seem pretty good and up to date. The family who makes them seem good value. They seem pretty informative to me, even if all I've done so far is watch them rather than try them out :) There are previews on their site:

http://www.bugmevideo.com/ 
Membereraser
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 128

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Powder

posted on January 11th, 2009 at 08:01 PM

yeah thats them the bug me videos, they were showing how to tell if a motor needs a rebuild or not by showing the bearings, and mine sure did so i called the VW machining shop and asked for an exchange motor :P (after what i heard on the video) they just laughed haha :P they havent done them for 30 years :P But all good. I have found the videos great (worth getting a cheap dvd player with screen from dick smiths and keeping it next to your car while working :P) But yeah keep in mind that some things they say are cheap to replace are no longer cheap or easily available :P

But yeah its great if you have a shed just ump on into it there isnt much you can stuff up. And any questions these guys on the board normally have seen it heard it or done it . So always ask :P

GL

http://www.vwgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/banner.jpg

Go To Top