Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 4183 | Total Replies: 10 | Thread Id: 75250 ]
Author: Subject:  Kombi gearbox strap/mount kits for ur buggies bajas... PICTURES ANYONE?
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

question.gif posted on March 9th, 2009 at 09:29 PM
Kombi gearbox strap/mount kits for ur buggies bajas... PICTURES ANYONE?

hey hey. Got piccies of ur kombi gearbox strap setup?

was too rainy to get out there and finish the buffin on the body. so stuffed with my pan instead.

i got the kombi box mounted, I just can't work out the straps. The kit i bought has been stress the whole time.

I understand one strap that goes over the bell housing right on the edge, but got this other strap and tensioner setup, with a flat plate at the bottom, that seems to want to bolt just behind the bellhousing. Unfortunately at that position, it has no room for the starter.

So i thought, surely it would more likely go towards the nose cone, seeing the point of the strap is to prevent it from moving around too much so it doesn't break it. But the the strap doesn't fit near the nose cone cause of the trailing arms in the way.

Its a sharpbuilt kit. I can go without it, cause i got some stiff new urethane mounts already but i forked out more than i should have for this kit and its a bit of a waste to leave it sitting around. The kits been a stress the whole time, even the bloody shifting rod connector that was suppose to 'adapt' it needed a bloody bash and weld up to modify it to make it work. Its not mike sharps fault, its a 2nd hand kit i bought of a fella who knew my setup, but obviously didn't give a stuff.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Memberphilsmanx
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: excited

posted on March 9th, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajachris88
hey hey. Got piccies of ur kombi gearbox strap setup?

was too rainy to get out there and finish the buffin on the body. so stuffed with my pan instead.

i got the kombi box mounted, I just can't work out the straps. The kit i bought has been stress the whole time.

I understand one strap that goes over the bell housing right on the edge, but got this other strap and tensioner setup, with a flat plate at the bottom, that seems to want to bolt just behind the bellhousing. Unfortunately at that position, it has no room for the starter.

So i thought, surely it would more likely go towards the nose cone, seeing the point of the strap is to prevent it from moving around too much so it doesn't break it. But the the strap doesn't fit near the nose cone cause of the trailing arms in the way.

Its a sharpbuilt kit. I can go without it, cause i got some stiff new urethane mounts already but i forked out more than i should have for this kit and its a bit of a waste to leave it sitting around. The kits been a stress the whole time, even the bloody shifting rod connector that was suppose to 'adapt' it needed a bloody bash and weld up to modify it to make it work. Its not mike sharps fault, its a 2nd hand kit i bought of a fella who knew my setup, but obviously didn't give a stuff.
mines a custom vw 1 i drilled holes 375mm from end of forks is it like this one..

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error

on the rebuild ej25 monster bug on the way
MemberMickH
A.k.a.: Michael Hutchinson
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

Threads: 29

Mood: Grow a brain...walls don't hit back...

posted on March 9th, 2009 at 10:56 PM

First hands experience.....those types of mounts suck. You're trying to solid mount a rubber mount......I gave mine away it was that bad. Go the 10 degree mount Mackaymanx will post pretty pictures...

tssnq.com.au
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on March 9th, 2009 at 11:08 PM

I got a solid mount kit, but was warned of the noise and vibration. is it really that bad? its an empi one from the states. comes with a strap. worth fitting ova the sharp built kit Mick?

btw thanx for the photos phil. thats a nice neat lookin setup.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on March 9th, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MickH
First hands experience.....those types of mounts suck. You're trying to solid mount a rubber mount......I gave mine away it was that bad. Go the 10 degree mount Mackaymanx will post pretty pictures...

I have no idea what you are talking about, what do you mean solid mount a rubber mount ?

The kit pictured above is a Custom Vee Dub kit and I have them on all my Buggies. I probably do more KM's in the Geko than most people do in there buggies and give it a very hard life. I have never had an issue with it and would happily recommend them.

They are not solid mount and do not provide excessive noise.

Wes has a modified Sharpbuilt kit so he can probably comment on it.

Looking fwd to seeing this 10 degree kit

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on March 10th, 2009 at 06:43 AM

I have a sharpbuilt kit. BlueV2 has a new sharpbuilt kit which is different. Mine uses a adapted beetle front mount, Mark's uses a custom front mount. From an email to Mark on my set-up;

I bascially threw away the two straps because they weren't made very well and if you had them tight enough to do anything then you'd get vibrations. So I essentially run stock type 1 mounts from and rear with the adaptor pieces from the sharpbuilt kit to make them work.
http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/rebuild/gearbox.jpg

I welded bits onto the rear cradle for the bellhousing to rest on so that the engine studs would line up with the holes in the rear cradle (to make mounting the engine easier).

So the problem with the VW set-up is the mounts are in the wrong place. They are all in one plane. When I put the V6 in I used the V6's rear mount, which is at the rear of the car and up quite high. So all of the mounts are now in different planes. The engine and gearbox can no longer rock from side to side because the engine mount is up high (and would need to swing through an arc).

The rear mount is on top of the rear bar in this pic;
http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/V6_baja/images/23rd/sideview.jpg

You can see it above the number plate in this pic too
http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/V6_baja/images/V6atValla.jpg

So it now works very well. It is extrememly smooth, but that's probably mostly due to the V6 I guess. The dyno operator commented on how smooth and nice the engine was, and I guess he has revved out quite a few cars in his time.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on March 10th, 2009 at 09:46 AM

ah ok. thanx heaps Wes. I got the adapter for the front mount... and new urethane front and rear mounts... With that hp u got behind there, and for it to handle fine without the straps i should be alright to leave em out of the equation. however like u said, those engine mounts would stiffen it up too.

I'll probably just run with the front adapter and the new urethane mounts, and stiffen up the bellhousing with that single strap and leave it there. wat u rekon? i can jump like a manic on the front of the gearbox and it don't move lol. Will only be a type 1 motor for the time being pushing it.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on March 10th, 2009 at 09:58 AM

yea i was just thinkin maybe i'll just use the single strap at the bellhousing cause its closer to the centre of gravity of the whole 'engine/tranny' system compared to the other strap and tightened up it should hopefully reduce the rollin around by assisting in creating tension of all directional planes.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberratbug
A.k.a.: Andrew Todd
Wolfsburg Wizard
aka toddy101

Threads: 30

posted on March 11th, 2009 at 03:39 PM

I have the sharpbuilt one in my old buggy, no dramas, in my new buggy I have the sharpbuilt mount for the front and a hybrid EMP/My Own for the front bellhousing one, based on the old design.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/toddy4281/New%20Buggy/DSCN0604.jpg

Can't find a photo of my front one, i'm sure blueV2 has one.

Sharbuilt Beach buggy with Subaru 2L Turbo
Thunderanch Riot with Subaru 2L Turbo
Manxter with FA20turbo
Click here for wiring looms
Memberbluebaja
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 77

posted on April 7th, 2009 at 02:21 PM

It appears the rear mount strap which goes over the top of the box in philsmanx third photo would make it solid mount. That is the locking bolt appears to go all the way through and samwich the rear rubber.
Ratbug's rear set up would still allow movement.
Is that the original top strap and bolt?
I fabricated a bar to go over the top of the rear to pick up the top mounting holes as well, but alas that buggy is no more:(
Membernils
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 65

posted on April 7th, 2009 at 08:32 PM

done mine this weekend just gone,:cool:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/baja53/DSCF1550.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/baja53/DSCF1549.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/baja53/DSCF1534.jpg

Quit calling rust patina

Go To Top