Author: Subject: colour sanding
MemberKafer Lover
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 71

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Low

posted on June 16th, 2003 at 10:38 PM
colour sanding

For a home paint job, using acrylic, what grade/grades of sandpaper should be used for colour sanding? Is this wet and dry paper, or just normal sandpaper, and how many coats should be painted prior to this to ensure I wouldn't rub through?
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on June 17th, 2003 at 06:46 AM

I used to apply a heavy coat then block down with say 400 then 800 to get the paint flat again.

Then apply a pissy coat of clear n colour to add some depth, you could block down after that with 1200 or better still 1500 and cut n polish.

MemberKafer Lover
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 71

Mood: Low

posted on June 17th, 2003 at 08:18 AM

just the two coats?
I thought it would be more.
I'm worried about runs in the paint, and so are more inclined to do more, thinner coats.
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on June 18th, 2003 at 07:43 AM

You can do it that way as well.

You can put 10 coats on but use the same principle.

Do the trick with the last coats, by adding clear as well as colour. This gives the paint depth and allows colour sanding.

Memberwrecker67
A.k.a.: craig
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 160

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Green
Mood: fishing,beach,sun,fishing,

posted on June 18th, 2003 at 09:06 AM

hi there ,you only need 2 litres of colour,spray the colour on only to cover the primer,so when its all covered and you cant see throught it stop,dont worry about getting the colour on to wet,just cover,then get 4 litres clear coat,mix 35%clear 65%thinners,use acylic thinner,multi perpose drys to quick,and apply even coats of clear with out adding any colour to the clear,walk around the car 3 times waiting 15min each time,then the last time mix the clear 30/70 and give a nice wet coat,this is the coat that you will cut back,so the flater you get it the easier it will be to sand.set the regulater between
40/50psi.you dont want to much over spray.this way when you rub it back you wont cut in to the colour,when you rub the clear its just white,us a colour block not your fingers, use the edge of the colour block to wipe the water of what you have rubbed to see how flat you have it,you dont want to see any peal just a smooth flat finish,use a little car wash in the warm water with 1500 wet to sand ,the soap makes it easier,and use clean water and a new bucket,you dont want any grid in the water,so if you drop your paper on the ground frow it,because dirt in the water will give some very nice scratches,buff with lambs wool.i use a compond called max......
good luck,this is one way i use.
if its a beetle you should use about 3to 4 litres of clear,and dont rub the colour b4 the clear coat,just get the colour flat,so not to much paint out of the gun,trigger control,after you have finished let it sit for at least 7 days b4 you cut it back,allows time for sink back.i like 2 weeks.
if you cut it the next day and buff it ,it will look good,but lose its shine real fast with sink back...thats acylic....and remember,the paint job will only be as good as the prep.so dont rush it...
i'll shut up now....................
:beer

Go To Top