Author: Subject:  66 Pan Beetle - Sway bar issue
MemberT25Turbo
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 17

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: Rollin' LO and Slow

posted on April 18th, 2009 at 04:56 PM
66 Pan Beetle - Sway bar issue

My beetle has 70 body on 66 pan and the front sway bar is way too low - would not fit across the pits at MVR.

I have heard somewhere that it may be on upside down.

Can anyone give any advice on this matter?

The sway bar fits on the lower control arm of the suspension (which is torsion bar). It was fitted on the under side of the lower arms, however it appears if I turn it upside down it will fit in the same place however be much closer to the suspension (I have taken it off and tried this).
I have also tried to place it on the topside of the lower arms but I am concerned about unseen dynamic stuff like bar flex etc. Sway bar appears to be fitted by pedders (red bushes) and could be whilteline (light grey in colour).
Is Alan Agyiks old blue beetle if anyone remembers it.

Regards,

Luke
MemberT25Turbo
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

posted on May 1st, 2009 at 09:26 PM

Nobody Loves me?

I thought the only stupid question was the unasked one?:lol:

I know it is a localised issue as it is a fairly random question but I though someone else would have a sway bar on a beetle somewhere? Alan Agyik knows - but havent seen him on the forum lately - Alan - are you out there?
sway bar too low - is it ok to place sway bar on top of lower control arm - or is this just a really dumb question.. even if someone said - hey Luke this is a really dumb question - that would be something - but I am the onyl question with no reply - feeling a little left out guys...:dork:
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on May 1st, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Not a dumb question, just an individual issue as it depends on exactly what bar, what ride height and how it's fitted that all makes a difference. But to generalise, they are normally fitted under the lower trailing arms. It may be flipped around left side to the right, or to the top of the arm or maybe slid along the arm somewhat, what ever you can to get the clearance, as long as it dosn't foul on anything through the suspension travel and wheels turning to lock etc.
Some different bars have a different amount of bend at the front which may help.

Hope your not too left out now:smilegrin:

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberNullaDub
Commited Dubber

Threads: 12

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on May 3rd, 2009 at 09:15 AM

Can you get a photo of the fitting / underside of car and post it up. Should let a few of us compare to our existing installs then

Troy
MemberT25Turbo
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

posted on May 6th, 2009 at 06:38 PM

Here is the set-up. It is possible that the sway bar has slipped and hence the lack of clearance. It does appear from trial fits that I can gain more clearance by doing as Matt had said and push it further up - it is only held on by four metal clamps and it is a real bee-atch to get them back on.

Thanks for your help guys much appreciated. will get into it as soon as I get back to Alice Springs from Tas - for one more week off from work - yay!

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp331/T25Turbo/DSCF1966.jpg
MemberT25Turbo
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

posted on May 19th, 2009 at 11:02 AM

No time to re-attach bar this week as back at work, but I think it is possible to re-fit in same position but get a lot more clearance. Will post pictures of finished job and resultant clearance gain.

Also is it possible to raise an adjuster fitted beam after it has been installed or do you need to remove to adjust? I assume do this before installing the sway bar?

And how?

Go To Top