MemberSmiley
A.k.a.: Daniel Stephens
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 110

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Synchro'd

posted on May 4th, 2009 at 11:29 AM
Winches

Does anyone have a winch on their offroad Baja/buggy/Kombi? Is this a useful addition? Or are you better off just taking two mates and a shovel?
If anyone has a winch I would love to know what you're running and see pictures/descriptions of how they are attached to you're vehicle.

If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
MemberKombi Dad
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 3

posted on May 4th, 2009 at 05:27 PM

I carry a hand winch in the camper and a shovel. I did bog the camper in sand over at Broome but before I could deploy the winch my mate came back with his 4WD. I carry the winch as insurance. I prefer a hand winch as it will work if the battery is flat. That is my opinion from the days when I had not matured enough and drove a heavy 4WD. Note the camper is fitted with a locking diff which I have found to be a great asset. I have put about 200,000 kms on the gear box with the locker and it is just starting to wine a bit. So the box will come out and see what needs to be done. The locker will go back in.
MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on May 4th, 2009 at 06:40 PM

What type of locking diff is it? Is it ok on the road too? What's the drivability of it like. I'm looking into getting a locker for the Baja.

MemberOZ Towdster
A.k.a.: Andrew Westwood
Custom Title Time!
Keen to finish some projects

Threads: 132

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Having fun in our great land

posted on May 4th, 2009 at 07:41 PM

If it is a Baja Kombi and you travel alone yes i would recomend a winch as the rear suspension travel can get you hung up pretty quick without a diff lock , and trust me it ain't because i hav'nt got enough grunt or speed because if you know me or the 170rwhp i'vve got on tap it doesn't make jack all difference if one of the rear wheels is grabbing just air .
As for a buggy or Baja , in ten plus years i am yet to find anywhere that i can't get out of with out a winch or a gentle push ( even in the above bus ) .Just like any unlocked 4be as soon as you have more than one drive wheel grabing air your stuck or about to be .
With a buggy/baja this is very rare as all your weight is in the rear and hence both rear wheels will more than often stay firmly planted on the ground , with your front wheels left dancing around in the air , which not being drive wheels doesn't really mater till you gota turn , but i wouldn't worry about that as unless you have a towdster like mine ( See Avatar ) your front wheels will always be on the ground more than mine .

Andrew

Don't let body work get in the way of real suspension travel
MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on May 4th, 2009 at 07:56 PM

Cool man. Thanks for the info. I really need to do and IRS swap so I can give the old girl a little more travel.
My Baja is a 1967 and runs standard swing axle with twins shocks and coils on the rear with 30" tires. It was like this when I bought it at the end of last year. The suspension is pretty much standard height so I'd say whoever set it up put all that extra suspension on there to stop the tires ripping the guards off.
I'd really like to go IRS some time soon as the car is my daily driver and as you can understand is quite stiff on the road, especially with the condition of our dodgy Queensland roads LOL.

MemberKombi Dad
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 3

posted on May 6th, 2009 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by smileyman3000
What type of locking diff is it? Is it ok on the road too? What's the drivability of it like. I'm looking into getting a locker for the Baja.

Lockrite. It drives great though I suspect that it is because the vehicle is heavy and power low. Does use more tyres on the rear compared to the front.
MemberBirko
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 6

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 5th, 2009 at 09:05 PM

Gday smileyman, I put a cheap 3000lb winch bought of ebay made mount from heavy angle and welded it straight to the front end, havent used it yet so dont know how effective itll be but is probably more wank factor than any thing, may take pics this week and post

Go To Top