MemberSuperbug73
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 4

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on November 27th, 2009 at 09:21 PM
Help the Superbug 73

Hi all Bug lovers

I have recently bought my dream car - a 73 superbug that I want to restore, however have no idea of mechanics. The brakes need to be replaced and the car needs to be checked over by an honest and passionate mechanic who knows vintage cars. The problem is I cannot find one who is willing to commit. The other problem is I am a 21 one year old student with limited funds! Does anyone know about someone who could help me out. I would be crushed if I have to sell my bugsy for that reason.
Memberalien8
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 84

Theme: UltimaBB Powder

posted on November 28th, 2009 at 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superbug73
Hi all Bug lovers

I have recently bought my dream car - a 73 superbug that I want to restore, however have no idea of mechanics. The brakes need to be replaced and the car needs to be checked over by an honest and passionate mechanic who knows vintage cars. The problem is I cannot find one who is willing to commit. The other problem is I am a 21 one year old student with limited funds! Does anyone know about someone who could help me out. I would be crushed if I have to sell my bugsy for that reason.

Limited funds and a good vintage mechanic does not often go together in the same sentence.
Its a good idea to start learning how to fix it yourself when owning a Beetle or even considering a resto project. Not only do you find out how your car works and how to keep it on the road you save heaps of cash fixing it yourself. ANYONE can do it. They are simple cars.
There is so much info floating around on the internet on pretty much every aspect of the Beetle. Then there is books, manuals and dvd's or even a local VW club.
A good place to start is with a book called "How to keep your VW alive for the complete idiot". Its not my favorite manual but it is a great place to start hunting info for the beginner. The "Bug Me" dvd series is pretty darn good too, if your are more of a visual type learner and the series is also a pretty complete guide.
Work on one system at a time and learn how everything works, what the parts look like and how to repair it. Then move onto the next system.
Might I suggest starting with the brake system .
And don't forget to ask heaps of questions here. No question is too stupid. :)
MemberSuperbug73
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 4

posted on November 28th, 2009 at 08:49 AM

awesome- thanks for the great advise! I am just afraid of working on breaks as so much can go wrong :S - but I will try to get my hands on some books.
Memberalien8
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 84

Theme: UltimaBB Powder

posted on November 28th, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superbug73
awesome- thanks for the great advise! I am just afraid of working on breaks as so much can go wrong :S - but I will try to get my hands on some books.

Hers some links for you -
rob and dave
Tech. diagrams

I would be more worried about not working on problem brakes.
Inspection is free.
Check for leaks in the system, check the pads and shoes for wear, check the fluid level in the bottle under the hood and check the master cylinder. At least you will know what needs to be replaced. It may not feel like you are getting ripped off if you know what going on with the repairs if its put into a shop.
Memberdekkerboy
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 15

posted on December 13th, 2009 at 09:34 AM

I would help you but i live and brizzy and i am not a mechanic either but im on my first dubber aswell and google.com will be your best friend.

Go To Top