Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Content

posted on January 26th, 2010 at 01:08 PM
Caravelle seats T3

Hello there,
my Caravelle CL T3's seats and benches are a bit "used" and I am thinking of upgrading to the GL seats/benches with the arm rests. Where would be the best place to look? My local wreckers only can shake their heads. Is my idea that weird?

Regards

Mike

Ich mag meine Bullis :blush:
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on January 27th, 2010 at 06:49 AM

No it's a pretty reasonable idea.

The only problem is that the 1980s were VW's 'death period' in Australia, so there just aren't the old VWs on the second-hand market or in the wrecking yards for that time. You'll just have great difficulty in finding a donor vehicle. Between 1981 and 1990, VW did not sell ANY passenger cars in this country, and the Transporter was the only new VW available. Even then, Transporter sales were a mere trickle:

1982 - 435 Transporters (in the whole of Australia for the whole year)
1983 - 179 Transporters
1984 - 262 Transporters
1985 - 393 Transporters
1986 - 123 Tranpsorters
1987 - 48 Transporters (VW's lowest ever sales year in Australia)
1988 - 82 Transporters
1989 - 1,097 Transporters (VW's relaunch by new importers Ateco)
1990 - 1,075 Transporters
1991 - 665 Transporters
1992 - 326 Transporters (the year the T4 Transporter replaces the T3)

So it's no wonder the wrecking years shake their heads!
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on January 27th, 2010 at 07:16 AM

Mike where are you located at

I have a few seats avaialble

Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 10

Mood: always

posted on February 5th, 2010 at 09:51 PM

I have the same problem, but i hate the seats in there. what have others replaced the seats with? something that is a close fit the the original bases?

dak dak dak dak dak dak
Membermike malli
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on February 6th, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Wow, only 48 transporters per year, that is less than one a week. That must have been the poorest marketing since Eva. Pity I don't like the T4s too much. They are plentiful in supply. Regarding the question of rustgard.....well, I would not have a clue what could fit, but these seats suit me like a glove, best seats for my size and build. If you don't like them, I'll take them gladly :-)

Regards

Mike

Memberwhitey
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

posted on February 9th, 2010 at 07:55 PM

hi, i 'm only a first time Forum user , but i have run into a local guy ( wodonga vic ) driving a caravelle who bought a whole vehicle roadworthy (with cloth seats and arm rests) as a spare parts kit for his .. i will pass your concerns to him and if he wants to off load his extras he can also contact you via this forum ..good luck p.s he only paid a grand for a pretty straight and serviceable vehicle.. :tu:
Memberpod
A.k.a.: paul mrvw061
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
i`ve got to finish this thing one day

Threads: 145

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: could be better

posted on February 9th, 2010 at 10:18 PM

you could also try Menangler on here, he usually is wrecking T3`s

meetings 1st sunday of the month
check wbsite for location
All Welcome
http://www.flatfour.org/ 
and on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/FlatFour 
Membermike malli
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on February 9th, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whitey
hi, i 'm only a first time Forum user , but i have run into a local guy ( wodonga vic ) driving a caravelle who bought a whole vehicle roadworthy (with cloth seats and arm rests) as a spare parts kit for his .. i will pass your concerns to him and if he wants to off load his extras he can also contact you via this forum ..good luck p.s he only paid a grand for a pretty straight and serviceable vehicle.. :tu:

Hello Whitey,
that would be great. He can send me a PM or contact me at mikemalli et web dot de or give me a ring under 07 46 989 125. your help is much appreciated.

Mike

MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on February 10th, 2010 at 09:19 AM

Keep looking, hopefully a donor vehicle will turn up somewhere. If not, a good motor trimmer might be able to spruce up your existing seats and panels with new padding and new material - your old seats in new cloth and leatherette would be pretty good.

After 1985 LNC Industries (VW Australia) basically stopped marketing VWs at all; they were the Subaru, Fiat, Renault ad Lancia importers too so that's where their resources went. 1986 was the last year of imports and the 48 sold in '87 were just old stock. They gave up the VW business in 1987 and Ateco took over in 1988. LNC went out of business in 1991, bought out, broken up and sold off by the Libermann investment group. Then it was TKM and Inchcape and VW struggled through the '90s here too. It took until 2001 before VW Germany took over the Australian business again - thank goodness.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on March 3rd, 2010 at 08:43 AM

Do u still want the seat for the Caravelle

MemberBug_racer
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 16

posted on March 4th, 2010 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil74Camper
Keep looking, hopefully a donor vehicle will turn up somewhere. If not, a good motor trimmer might be able to spruce up your existing seats and panels with new padding and new material - your old seats in new cloth and leatherette would be pretty good.

After 1985 LNC Industries (VW Australia) basically stopped marketing VWs at all; they were the Subaru, Fiat, Renault ad Lancia importers too so that's where their resources went. 1986 was the last year of imports and the 48 sold in '87 were just old stock. They gave up the VW business in 1987 and Ateco took over in 1988. LNC went out of business in 1991, bought out, broken up and sold off by the Libermann investment group. Then it was TKM and Inchcape and VW struggled through the '90s here too. It took until 2001 before VW Germany took over the Australian business again - thank goodness.

I dont think VW struggled until VW Germany took over . It was more of TKM's killing of dealers apart from their own that VW Germany had to step in . AFAIK there were only 4 dealers in Metropolitan area of Sydney in 2000 . City Automobiles , Chatswood Classic Cars and Denlo . Denlo did go into receivorship around that time and I dont think they were trading . Dale European was Commercial dealer only . Once VW Germany took over they opened up new dealers everywhere and there is rumour of a new dealership being opened in Blacktown :cool:

Go To Top