Author: Subject:  what to look for buying a used kombi
Memberjcookewhat
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on March 28th, 2010 at 06:40 PM
what to look for buying a used kombi

hi everyone im josh and very new at all this. i just sold my 1976 kombi because have neither time nor money to fix it(and it needed a lot of both). now im looking for a new kombi but not being very mechanically minded or having a lot of now how about used cars was looking for some help as to what i should look for when buying a new bus :) for example where bad rust spots are, whats expensive to fix, just general things to give me an idea. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
MemberWoz72
Learner Dubber

Threads: 1

Mood: lager

posted on March 28th, 2010 at 07:03 PM

There's probably a more comprehensive response on here somewhere - but you should check the doglegs, along the sills, gutters, basically anywhere that water may pool or drip from. Check the floors in the cabin (lift any matts) as well as the back. Take a fridge magnet to look for bog or rust cover-ups. Generally, bad rust & panel problems are more expensive to fix than mechanicals IMO (so look for a straight bus). Engine rebuilds are also expensive, as are gearbox rebuilds (although you can gamble on second-hand ones). Check the chassis rails underneath for rust, and while there look for drips of oil on gearbox and engine. Have a listen to the engine - while you may not recognise a great-sounding engine, you will likely recognise one that is sick sounding. Take the kombi for a drive as that is the only way to properly check gearbox etc. Get someone to stand behind while you indicate, depress the brake etc.

Most importantly you must always check a kombi you wish to buy, or get someone knowledgable about VWs to check it for/with you.

Good luck! :)

...Woz

'72 kombi camper
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on March 28th, 2010 at 07:24 PM

rust is your enemy

Mechanicals are easliy replaced