A.k.a.: Col
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Seriously Obsessed Cyber Dubber

Threads: 104

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Indifferent

posted on June 27th, 2010 at 01:40 PM
T4 auto dipstick?

I'm trying to locate the auto dipstick in a '94 Caravelle; the owner's manual quite clearly shows that it should be just to the passenger side of the bonnet catch, but it is nowhere to be seen. I'm guessing that they deleted the dipstick at some point, so how do I check and top up the auto tranny fluid? Anyone?

Kruizin Kol
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on June 27th, 2010 at 02:24 PM

can you look underneath and see one leaving???

Futue te ipsum!!!
Member11CAB
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
If ya got it....Baja it

Threads: 321

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Beach'n

posted on June 27th, 2010 at 03:15 PM

Have a look at the Auto sump. If there is a bolt in the bottom, you need to take that bolt out when the engine is running. If the ATF just dribbles out with the engine running, then the level is correct.

They have a tube up into the sump at the level they want for the fluid, so when you take the bolt out of the bottom, if the level is at the top of the tube inside the sump, it will just dribble out. If it needs filling up, there is a Black tube on the outside of the transmission at the front. It has a red locking cap on the top of the tube. Take that off, then you can take the seal cap off and top up the transmission until it just dribbles out the bottom tube.

65 Meyers Manx
68 Country Buggy (KO 367)
68 Country Buggy (KO 669)
68 Country Buggy (KO 789)
68 Country Buggy (KO 815)
68 Baja Bug
76 Baja Kombi Twincab
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on June 27th, 2010 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 11CAB
Have a look at the Auto sump. If there is a bolt in the bottom, you need to take that bolt out when the engine is running. If the ATF just dribbles out with the engine running, then the level is correct.

They have a tube up into the sump at the level they want for the fluid, so when you take the bolt out of the bottom, if the level is at the top of the tube inside the sump, it will just dribble out. If it needs filling up, there is a Black tube on the outside of the transmission at the front. It has a red locking cap on the top of the tube. Take that off, then you can take the seal cap off and top up the transmission until it just dribbles out the bottom tube.

Theoretically the trans should not need topping up unless there is a leak,if you do have to top up please make sure tou use the correct oil.
MemberKruizinKombi
A.k.a.: Col
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Seriously Obsessed Cyber Dubber

Threads: 104

Mood: Indifferent

posted on June 27th, 2010 at 06:04 PM

Thanks guys, I actually worked it out while I was waiting for someone to reply. We've only had this van for a few weeks and it's needed doing since we got it. I used the correct fluid as specified in the manual. I'll get it in for a service soon and it can be someone else's problem!

Kruizin Kol

Go To Top