[ Total Views: 4522 | Total Replies: 22 | Thread Id: 86457 ]
Author: Subject:  Angle Grinder Wire Brush
Memberrob53
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 62

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on October 9th, 2010 at 10:05 AM
Angle Grinder Wire Brush

Has anyone used the wire brush wheels for Angle Grinders?

I've used the brass wire wheel for drills with good success, but I have seen that for grinders, apart from the brass wire wheel, there is also a heavy duty steel wire wheel.
Wondering what kind of finish that it leaves on sheet metal?

-Rob

Thats not rust, it's ah ... orange primer ... yep that's what it is ...
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on October 9th, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I have and they are tip top :tu:

great for stripping chassis and its components... pedal assemblies etc... situations that where if you used a drill based brass wire wheel it would take you centuries to get through any paint and rust etc.

i wouldn't use it for fine panel work on the body, unless its like at the thick steel sections like sills etc underneith

On pan halves its fine. You can go over a bit of sheet metal on the pan over and over and you wouldn't grind through it (unless your there for centuries i guess)

I luv em. just make sure u wear eye protection, skin protection and shoes. cause 1: it slings debree like crazy, 2: it removes skin very quickly (learnt that the hard way) and over time as it wears it leaves sharp needle like bits of wires on the floor that if u stand on them, they go like 5mm deep into your foot (not too bad only have a few dozen go through lol. just pull em out but its inconvenient).

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on October 9th, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Yep, good but dangerous, use with extreme caution.
Tend to polish the metal, so a quick scuff is necessary with sandpaper for good paint adhesion.

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on October 9th, 2010 at 11:28 AM

I use them heaps, they're awesome at cleaning up rusted metal and knocking down paint but as above be super carefull with them,

I've had several moments, be really carefull when doing around edges and other non flat surfaces with different angles as they kick if you hit an edge agaisnt the rotation instead of with it.

I had one kick off an edge and grab my shirt, through some fluke after winding up my shirt it stalled and sat there buzzing away till I could turn it off.
A few ciggys later it hit me how close it came to slicing my guts open :crazy:

Also they love to shed the wire strands at warp speed, I've picked 1000s out of myself including one in my forehead right between the eyebrows

Scared you off using one yet? :lol:
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on October 9th, 2010 at 11:45 AM

An alternative to the wire brush wheel is to use a disc called a "Strip it" disc........they work wonders on removing paint and rust :tu:.

Memberjeremyluke
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 16

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Navy

posted on October 9th, 2010 at 01:40 PM

I agree with Craig, the blue "Strip it" discs are alot safer and incedibly fast at removing paint and rust

I have also had a similar incident as Joel where the grinder wheel caught my shirt, got wound up and stalled the grinder, left a nice big hole in my shirt but lucky not to have one in my gut, had to step away from it for a while, shook me up a bit...

I have used the grinder wire brush wheels and the "Strip it" discs, i prefer the discs by far, it takes the paint off so much faster than the wheels (due to the larger surface area making contact i guess) but leaves a better finish in the metal as the wheels tend to leave heavy scratches (depending on what type i guess) where the discs give a nice smooth polished finish.

Only downside about the discs is they are expensive (range from $9 to $15 each) and you can go through them easily (especially if you hit a sharp edge as it just scrapes the disc away), took about one and a half 5inch discs and 20-30mins to take a gaurd back to bare metal, I ended up taking almost the whole car back haha, alot of hours but in the end way cheaper then getting it sandblasted...

But the wheels are far better for getting in nooks and grooves like the gutters, and you dont usually need more then one unless you damage it by having it spin above its Max RPMl.
Wheels are better
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

Threads: 13

posted on October 9th, 2010 at 01:47 PM

I agree with what the others have said. Wire brushes are good, go for the twist/knot type, or the knotted cup wheel if you need to get into a fiddly area. The Josco Strip-It discs are very good, cheap to buy at Bunnings (cheaper than the 3M version anyway, and they're Australian made) but they disintegrate immediately if you hit a rough or sharp edge. For flat surfaces like floorpans the strip-it discs will remove the paint far faster than anything else I've seen, even sandblasting! One light touch with the strip-it disc and you've got instant shiny bare metal. They're not so good at attacking surface rust though, the wire wheels are better for that.

Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on October 9th, 2010 at 05:04 PM

in regards to safety its not really any more dangerous than an angle grinder with a cutting disk anyways and you only need the same PPE

You won't have to worry about waking up in the middle of the night to a possessed grinder with a wire wheel leaping in your face... :lol:

mind you they do jump pretty high if started with the wire brush down on the ground:dork:

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Memberrob53

Threads: 62

posted on October 9th, 2010 at 05:12 PM

I used the strip it discs for drills before, and agree their great, but had the same problem of them wearing out quickly once you touch some rough edges or rust. All these stories of bits of wire sticking, stabbing and flying everywhere are certainly encouraging! :lol:

Are you supposed to turn on the grinder when touching the job to avoid spinning it at full speed (similar to orbital sander attachment?) ?

Thats not rust, it's ah ... orange primer ... yep that's what it is ...
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on October 9th, 2010 at 05:51 PM

Hi

I like angle grinders. I cant stress how important it is to use an angle grinder with an extra handle provision, you don't want to know how I know.

Steve
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on October 9th, 2010 at 06:08 PM

Hi

I like angle grinders. I cant stress how important it is to use an angle grinder with an extra handle provision, you don't want to know how I know.

Steve
Membercam070
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 53

Mood: Getting hands dirty stripping the bug down

posted on October 9th, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Angle grinder with strip it discs are great for removing paint. For rusted areas try a coarse flap disc on your angle grinder.

I've also Been using paint stripper but prefer the strip it discs. Paint stripper works better for removing tar paint from under guards etc if you have it. The strip it discs tend to spread the tar paint.
Membervlad01
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 109

Mood: Side ways

posted on October 11th, 2010 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
I use them heaps, they're awesome at cleaning up rusted metal and knocking down paint but as above be super carefull with them,

I've had several moments, be really carefull when doing around edges and other non flat surfaces with different angles as they kick if you hit an edge agaisnt the rotation instead of with it.

I had one kick off an edge and grab my shirt, through some fluke after winding up my shirt it stalled and sat there buzzing away till I could turn it off.
A few ciggys later it hit me how close it came to slicing my guts open :crazy:

Also they love to shed the wire strands at warp speed, I've picked 1000s out of myself including one in my forehead right between the eyebrows

Scared you off using one yet? :lol:

lol It happen to me once, but it just ripped off half of my shirt and was still going with it stuck on it, scrapped the skin on my chest too.

Also you would wanna watch out for bits of wire flinging off. :lol: I always get bits of wire embedded in my skin.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/vladk01/notch04.png
71 notchback,
Past owner of, 70 NB, 73 SB and 72 FB TLE
Memberbenjicon

Threads: 35

posted on April 6th, 2011 at 03:35 PM

Has anyone used a Strip It disc of wire brush on an Angle Grinder to strip an interior ?? I imagine it would get pretty dusty, but Sounds a lot better than sanding or chemical stripper as a cheap option.

No i'm not repainting it.
Memberahoogah
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 20

posted on April 6th, 2011 at 08:01 PM

Recently did a bare metal on the T3 and found the strip it discs great, the wire brush in an angle grinder can heat and warp the panels pretty quickly.
High revs not always a good thing,tends to melt the paint, I did most of the body with a heat gun and scraper,finishing with variable speed drill.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error
Membercam070
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 53

Mood: Getting hands dirty stripping the bug down

posted on April 6th, 2011 at 09:25 PM

I've just started using wire brush on an angle grinder to strip the under side of my floor pan. Very effective and the advantage over strip it disks is they last a lot longer.
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

Threads: 13

posted on April 6th, 2011 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by benjicon
Has anyone used a Strip It disc of wire brush on an Angle Grinder to strip an interior ?? I imagine it would get pretty dusty, but Sounds a lot better than sanding or chemical stripper as a cheap option.

Yes, I have. They don't create dust, depending on what your interior is painted with they tend to make the paint into little sticky balls and a grimy film and fling it everywhere. Be aware that anything in the interior will get filthy and may need to be wiped down with prepsol or similar to get the residue off! My windows were covered in spots of paint goop.

Memberbenjicon

Threads: 35

posted on April 6th, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by waveman1500
Yes, I have. They don't create dust, depending on what your interior is painted with they tend to make the paint into little sticky balls and a grimy film and fling it everywhere. Be aware that anything in the interior will get filthy and may need to be wiped down with prepsol or similar to get the residue off! My windows were covered in spots of paint goop.

Cheers Waveman, great tip, I'd never have guessed the goopy balls.. Might pay to remove and / or mask up any areas I dont want gooped.. :)

No i'm not repainting it.
Membergerggl
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 33

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: It is what it is !

posted on September 1st, 2011 at 03:56 PM

I have used paint stripper with limited effect ...does not do anything to parts that have bondo on them ...an air sander is Ok but sux a LOT of air .....am now trying an angle grinder with flapper 80 grit and a blue strip it disc ...working well ...saves time air and frustration points!

Greg Gordon-Lane

Brisbane

Vw's are part of life's journey .... get on board!

VW Safari / Thing 1976 - "A work in progress"

Ducati St4s - "Poetry in motion"
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on September 1st, 2011 at 08:53 PM

I recommend soda blasting. We get about 20 cars a year done at our work.

MemberRestoKäfer
Commited Dubber

Threads: 14

posted on May 19th, 2012 at 08:55 PM

For roof rough up paint with 80 grit orbital sander,then por15 paint stripper covered with glad wrap.Stainless steel scourers and a bucket of water work well.Once all paint is removed use por15 metal ready,then use etch primer in a spray can,not many will paint a whole car and very easy to use.Now surface is ready for a high build primer.I used one of these purple wheels from crash supplies shop for paint removal on alot of the body,but you need a grinder with speed settings (mine was a ryobi from bunnings ) Its all a piece of piss to do you could do it pissed.Have doors dipped and rust treated after painting use tetrol wax .
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on May 19th, 2012 at 10:45 PM

All panels I have ever seen acid dipped have rust x 10 accelerated after a few years. Only based on the hundreds I have seen and scrapped. Your choice if you want to acid dip your panels.

If it is a panel with no seams at all, then it is ok. If it has a seam, then it is over before it begins. I deal with the remains of acid dipped panels all the time, and the bin is where a lot of them end up, but only 5-10 years down the track.

MemberRestoKäfer
Commited Dubber

Threads: 14

posted on May 20th, 2012 at 07:47 AM

alkaline

Go To Top