MemberSmiley
A.k.a.: Daniel Stephens
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 110

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Synchro'd

posted on April 17th, 2011 at 12:16 AM
Baja 4wd

This will depend what ratio the front diff is.

Also what Subie box are you running? Is it an earlier 4WD one that is normally 2WD then locks into 4WD then into lo range by pulling up the lever? If so, because you will never be using 4WD on the bitumen, and only offroad on looser surfaces (dirt/mud/sand), you will be able to get away with a tyre size that is a little bit out from perfect because the wheels will slip slightly on the looser surfaces.

Smiley :cool:

If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
Memberbevelhead
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 40

posted on April 17th, 2011 at 12:19 AM

yeah only really off road on loose stuff, this is just using stuff i have collected, have been wanting to do this for years
It is the l model dual range part time, not a full time box, though i do have one here also, i think they had a centre diff lock but poorer lo range ratio
MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on April 17th, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Depends on the gearbox, some of the later 5 speed boxes had the lowest ratios lo range of all. 1.59:1 from memory. My mate is big into his Subies and currently has a 4 speed in it. The lo range is something like 1.4:1, he has the 5 speed at home that he is looking to swap in.

Memberbevelhead
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 17th, 2011 at 01:04 AM

As far as i know the part time 4wd l model box had the best lo range, the subie guys swap them into later gear boxs or swap their later gear sets into the early casing but keep the l series lo range, 1.59 i think.
Have been using the gear conversion chart and came up with some figures, looks like i will have to go to 4.44 diff or similar otherwise front wheels will be hopeless diameter,
31s on back 24.6" front with 3.7 diff
31s on back 29.5" front with 4.44 diff
33s on back 26.19 front with 3.7 diff
33s on back 31.43 front with 4.44 diff
This could all be a load of crap, dont rally know whats what in converter, im just wingin it and havent rounded off or converted to metric yet, but i definetly think i will have to go 33s on back for a start, suits me bigger the better:cool:, i have earlier reduction gears here as well but cant bring my self to cut into vintage stuff.
Memberbevelhead
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 17th, 2011 at 01:37 AM

wish i had found this a week ago
http://www.onlineconversion.com/bigger_tires.htm 
Memberttriebler
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 16

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on April 17th, 2011 at 09:44 AM

Wow this could be tricky.

So if you have selectable 4wd then you could run it with any rear diff ratio in 2wd, but have to match the (front diff + front tyre ratio) with the (rear diff + redux boxes + rear tyre ratio) when you engage 4WD. And they will only match when wither in high range or in low range, not both. (I would suggest you get them to match in low range 4WD as that's where you will need your 4WD crawling ability).

The gearsets from EA and EJ boxes are interchangeable into the different casings as are the two different low range ratios. You just have to swap over bearings and bits to make them all fit.

Probably the ultimate is the earlier model 1.59:1 low range plus selectable 4WD plus a couple of LSD diffs. You can get Chinese torsen diffs for these transaxles for $450 landed in AUS and they are fine. Factory subie r160 lsd rear diffs (that would become your front diff) are plentiful and cheap.

The other thing you might want to consider is that some EJ boxes have a 1:1.1 step down gear to the output yoke. So this could also be factored into your ratios to really mess with your mind.

Depending on if you have a super or beam pan either can be made to accommodate subie front hubs. Have a look at my build thread on the Samba "4WD conversion begins" and you'll see more info.

Reversed gears for Subaru transmissions.
Fit a Subaru 5 speed to your rear engined car
www.subarugears.com
Membermackaymanx
A.k.a.: Brent
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 97

Mood: Brad'ed Off :td:

posted on April 17th, 2011 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ttriebler
Wow this could be tricky.

So if you have selectable 4wd then you could run it with any rear diff ratio in 2wd, but have to match the (front diff + front tyre ratio) with the (rear diff + redux boxes + rear tyre ratio) when you engage 4WD. And they will only match when wither in high range or in low range, not both. (I would suggest you get them to match in low range 4WD as that's where you will need your 4WD crawling ability).

High and low range will require the same diff ratio/tyre combination, as the hi/low change over happens in the input shaft of the gearbox. So if you get the combination right it will work in both high range and low range. Porsche had a on the road 4wd with different diff ratios/tyre sizes front to back.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/ttriebler/Gears%20and%20Synchros/Dualrangebox.jpg

Quote of the week
"Do I wish to send them to you again, nope, no interest can't be bothered really, to much hassle for little or no return."

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-18600.png
Memberbevelhead
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 17th, 2011 at 06:45 PM

Yeah i thought i would be ok with both ranges, can some one tell me what the highest (numeric) range is in the r160s?
ttriebler i have your samba thread up on the pc permanatly!, nice work. How are you going with the way you are mounting front hubs? i was thinking i might add onotherbeam across front end (bottom) and mount lower trailing arms in that, it will also give a heap of lift to the front depending on what hubs i use, but axle clearance could be an issue. About the lower geared rgbs I do have two sets of earlier redux here but they are for the good project when i nut this out and am happy with it.
These big nut rgbs were to go in my bay but then i got onto a factory set up with irs.....so still waiting for guy to strip the bus, has only been like 18 months:(
Actually started laying stuff out on pan today, trying to work out what arms plates etc i am going to use, i think i will use modded bay arms and cut down bay or split plates with the double spring plates mount on short torsion bars.
I have a l bug pan here as well and while it would be heaps easier to mount stuff in that like the subie struts, i hate struts so that is not going to happen.
Memberttriebler
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 16

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on April 18th, 2011 at 12:04 AM

hmmmmmm silly me of course mackaymanx is correct, both hi and low ratio will work fine, what was I thinking!!!

Front hub mounting on a beam pan suspensions was challenging. Lots of machining and some custom bits (which is all in the thread) but it fits up fine. Haven't driven it yet though so don't know how well the castor and camber will work out.

Your extra beam idea sounds interesting, give it a shot and see how it all looks. You have to try!!

Reversed gears for Subaru transmissions.
Fit a Subaru 5 speed to your rear engined car
www.subarugears.com
Memberbevelhead
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 18th, 2011 at 06:46 PM

Had another idea about putting stub carrier in original beetle spindles and have stub further in towards diff to let cv clear arms but it might put to much load on bearing assembly and would worsen affect of forces on cv when steering, bugger!
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on April 18th, 2011 at 07:09 PM

Isn't the front easy, strut front end with golf struts???

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
Memberbevelhead
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 18th, 2011 at 07:34 PM

Struts suck! :) Actually i dont like the way they mount more than anything
Memberbevelhead
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 20th, 2011 at 07:04 PM

Thought i would put a pic up to show the massive progress ive made, well not really but at least i started, cut into frame head and really is intriguing how its all welded up. Pic doesnt show it but kombi is more interesting anyway. Am wondering about a different front diff...maybe small BMW unit or if someone has idea about something else im all ears.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/bevelhead/Baja%204wd/S7300581.jpg
MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on April 21st, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by matberry
Isn't the front easy, strut front end with golf struts???

I like :tu:

Quote:
Originally posted by bevelhead
Struts suck! :) Actually i dont like the way they mount more than anything

No they don't, just make some decent offroad rated frames for the struts to mounts into.
You won't be able to get as much travel as a beam front end. But you won't be able to anyway because you will be limited by your CV angle with steering at full lock and suspension at full droop or compression.

Memberbevelhead
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 22nd, 2011 at 05:54 PM

Ahhh....sorry if i hit a stut soft spot. I will just chuck everything back in the subie and be done with it.:rolleyes:
MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on April 22nd, 2011 at 06:38 PM

You didn't hit a soft spot man. I have a Baja and it's beam front.

All I'm saying is look into your options and what's going to work best. Hubs and spindles, CVs and driveshafts is quiet a bit of unsprung weight for a beam front end to keep in check.

Memberbevelhead
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 22nd, 2011 at 07:12 PM

Hehe...yeah i know. im just stirrin. I know it would solve a lot of hassles using a strut, i may even use the l bug up the back for that next time like that all wheel drive auto crosser that used to race in the UK.
I want to do this thing using a beam but, so i will just have to work it in somehow. It would be nice to have a custom shaped trailing arm/s on the front to give a bit more room for a spindle with a cv. If i end up getting into stage of reworking beam alot i could use kombi arms, they are bloody solid and have a bit of meat on them.
Memberbevelhead
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 22nd, 2011 at 07:39 PM

Highly unlikely but if anyone has a set of old datsun axles to sell let me know:)
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/bevelhead/Cardon%20axles%20dato/505534.jpg
Memberbevelhead
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 22nd, 2011 at 08:00 PM

Here are some pics of different cv/rgb etc set ups i have come across on the net,
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/bevelhead/brazilia%20bus/brazilian_south_african_bay_window_.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/bevelhead/brazilia%20bus/PIC_0019Medium.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/bevelhead/brazilia%20bus/PIC_0003Medium.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/bevelhead/irs%20rgb/674545.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/bevelhead/irs%20rgb/CIMG0548.jpg

Go To Top