[ Total Views: 5724 | Total Replies: 7 | Thread Id: 91065 ]
Author: Subject:  New veedubber
MemberBugKid
Learner Dubber

Threads: 9

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2

posted on June 15th, 2011 at 07:43 PM
New veedubber

Hi, im new to the whole car scene and i decided to get a beetle as my first car. I recently moved to kensington, NSW for studies and im just waiting on getting my license. Been a car nut all my life and finally got to this moment where i finally officially own my own car.

I bought a 73 type 1 super beetle that was modified into a convertible. It had a reconditioned engine swapped in exchange for its previous engine in 09. It runs beautifully but the body and interior needs some work on it. Turning this into a project car and focusing on performance.

I was wondering since im still quite new to NSW and not quite used to the rules, the current rego is still registered under the previous engine number, will i encounter any problem with registering the new number of the recond engine?

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/gtrs1994/63cb2201-0e53-4ffa-9efb-d1e904f909c5_zps4bbfe2e4.png
MemberAyeBee
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 18

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 2nd, 2011 at 05:56 PM

Been about 10 years since I last lived in NSW, but back then (don't know what the go is now) you went to the RTA checking station and they inspected the engine numbers etc, then you went to the RTA office and had the numbers changed on the rego.

As it's also been a while since I had a car inspected annually for rego (moved to VIC, then to SA) - the mechanic may or may not inspect engine numbers when he does the inspection for rego. Like I said, been a while so can't remember what they check for rego these days.
MemberPaulc1964au
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 59

posted on July 2nd, 2011 at 06:23 PM

Welcome to the forum as far as I know you just need to advise of change of engine number, provided it is within 10% capacity of the existing engine then it shouldnt be a problem

Memberh
A.k.a.: Towely BuMpEr KING! ILLegal ALIEN on a roadtrip
Scirocco Rare
fractals - an ever changing lifestyle

Threads: 375

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: A T3 is not a Kombi - stop waving at me

posted on July 3rd, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Welcome to here :)

fractal geometry; the inner most limits of mind altering abuse

Fantasy http://seventhchronicle.com 

Z = Z2 + C1/r = 1/0 = infinity

Barrels http://www.barrelman.com.au 

VW Workshop - aircooledgarage.com.au
allcooled.com.au
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on July 3rd, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Generally it's not too difficult to get an adjustement of records done to swap the engine number over.

It's money for nothing thats for sure, I've been through it more times than I care to remember.

It does help if you have a reciept for the new engine but looking at that pic looks as though it may be one of those new Mexican crate engines that don't come with an engine number stamped in.

In that case you just have to get a police issue number stamped on.
A mate went through it when he bought one of those crate engines.
Memberbeetleboyjeff
A.k.a.: Jeff Walsh
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 40

Mood: Drive bugs hard

posted on July 3rd, 2011 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
It does help if you have a reciept for the new engine but looking at that pic looks as though it may be one of those new Mexican crate engines that don't come with an engine number stamped in.

If you have the original engine number (or at least, the one on the rego), it is far simpler to just stamp that into it if it is an unstamped Mex. engine.

From your ole' mate Jeff
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on July 3rd, 2011 at 01:56 PM

That's the idea behind it over seas and people here do it but it's actually illegal to do in any state here.

My mate with the crate motor first did that and the authorities found out and had a spack out, made him get it stamped with a police issue number.

Also causes a problem if you sell your old engine and someone rebuilds it and tries to use, comes up as being already used.

If you can destroy all evidence of your original engine (in a bon fire works well, great party trick :lol:) then you may get away it but anyone who knows VWs would soon pick that a Mexican engine has a German engine number.
MemberBugKid
Learner Dubber

Threads: 9

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2

posted on July 14th, 2011 at 10:51 AM

thanks for the advice! I had quite a few weeks to go over this car and i decided that i might just try and do some improvements on this car and sell it off hopefully for a small profit. This beetle isnt exactly what i had in mind. Hoping to look for a 1600 hardtop with a flat dashboard without any body work required.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/gtrs1994/63cb2201-0e53-4ffa-9efb-d1e904f909c5_zps4bbfe2e4.png

Go To Top