MemberMR930
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 73

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: VW crazy.

posted on May 22nd, 2012 at 05:31 PM
Opinions on new shape Beetle 2L or 1.6 or turbo

I'm looking at buying a new shape Beetle. My wife has looked at 2 so far that she likes. 1 is a 2L and the other is a 1.6 . Is either better, looking at the pics of the cars I like the 1.6 better(its red) but thought I'd read somewere that that motor had problems. Your thoughts please.
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on May 22nd, 2012 at 07:37 PM

If it is like the 1.6 of the Mk4 Golf - stay away from. It.
I had a Golf and it is a lack luster torque-less donkey, and that is with a manual. I would hate to think what an auto is like.
They are not that efficient either.

Have you had a look at the diesels?
That is what my wife has - NB 1.9 diesel manual........... Brilliant torquey motor that gives excellent economy

Futue te ipsum!!!
Super AdministratorMISS VDUB
A.k.a.: Ash
Super Administrator
Mrs KOMBIBOB

Rank Avatar

Threads: 96

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: Low down and Dirty

posted on May 22nd, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Haven't heard great reviews for the "beetle", the new shape has put me off. I would choose a TDI Golf or Polo over the "beetle". There is always the risk of the lemon theory when buying a new release model. Customers are like the guinea pigs who have to discover new model faults the hard way.

1963 Single Cab Ute: "El Concreto"
1962 Baja Beetle: "Peanut"
1968 Porsche 912 SWB: "Pip"
1972 Kombi Snail: "The Snail"
2012 Skoda Octavia Scout: "Scout"
2016 Scirocco R: "Rocco"
Memberblutopless2
Veteran Volks Folk
DAMSLO

Threads: 187

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on May 23rd, 2012 at 04:06 PM

I would suggest the 2L over the 1.6. You haven't said what year you are looking at ... this will determine what it is based on, but essentially the mechanicals are from a Golf.
We have a 2L manual convertible and it has been a great car. We have had a few minor issues early on with the electric windows but they were fixed under warranty with an upgrade to the window regulators. The hardtops dont suffer the same issues with regulators afaik.
Just do the usual check on all the stuff you normally would for any car... all electrics work, mechanical bits like door handles, window winders (if not electric) etc.. check no warning lights come up on the dash etc..
Seek out lots of info on repairs that have been done. replacement of sensors etc
hth and good luck in your purchase.

see.... air and water do mix ;)

1974 1300
1997 MK3 Golf GL
2003 NB Cabrio
2012 Golf VI GTI
2014 Audi A4 Quattro
MemberMR930
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

posted on May 23rd, 2012 at 07:20 PM

Thanks for the replies, looking at a 2002 model or there abouts, something under 10k . Manual gearbox. I'm off to test drive both the ones my missus has looked at this weekend.
Memberblutopless2
Veteran Volks Folk
DAMSLO

Threads: 187

posted on May 25th, 2012 at 01:14 PM

I think in the early models there was a different in the spec level of the car with the difference in the engine size...
The 2L should give you better interior etc as I think from memory the 1.6 (might be labelled an Ikon) was considered the "poverty pack" by many as it had a lot of "electrics" taken out to reduce the price... Initial pricing of the first new beetles were quite high, though they did come with lots of features as standard.
Check servicing schedules have been maintained through its life... particularly timing belts, water pumps etc...

see.... air and water do mix ;)

1974 1300
1997 MK3 Golf GL
2003 NB Cabrio
2012 Golf VI GTI
2014 Audi A4 Quattro
MemberMR930
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

posted on May 27th, 2012 at 06:31 PM

Well I looked at 2 this weekend, both were untidy inside, hoodlining falling down in one. So still looking, I've noticed a turbo one for sale- are they ok or do they have problems ?
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on May 28th, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Same engine as the Mk4 Golf GTI. More power but more fuel consumption than normal 1.6 or 2.0. If its in good nick and low km, why not?
Super Administrator
Mrs KOMBIBOB

Rank Avatar

posted on May 28th, 2012 at 11:19 AM

That's the thing I do not like about the new beetle as they are so cheaply made compared to the models processed thought the Vollkswagen Factory. New Beetles and Amorok are made in Portugal and don't have the same quality control. After seeing the issues they both had when we would get them straight onto the wharf from the boat was crazy. Too much needed fixing before they could be processed to be sent out to dealers. Hence my feeling about preferring a Golf or Polo.

If you do still want one, be choosy. There is a reason why there are many second hand new beetles for sale, many sell them before they have to fix and replace the expensive stuff. I'm surprised at the low resale value of them, I thought they may have held up a bit more but there may be a reason for that too :(

A good source for Watercooled info is from the VW Watercooled Forum. I would recommend signing up there and doing a lot of research.

MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on May 28th, 2012 at 01:16 PM

No, the New Beetle was made in Mexico, not Portugal. The NEW new Beetle will also come from Mexico, as do the current Jetta and Golf Wagon models. The Amarok is made in Argentina. It's the Scirocco and Eos that are made in Portugal. Our Polos come from South Africa, the Caddy comes from Poland and the Touareg from Slovakia. Nowadays only the Golf and Tiguan come from Wolfsburg. The Golf Cabrio is made in the old Karmann factory in Osnabruck, the Passat comes from Emden and the Transporter from Hanover.

You can easily check where any current model VW was built - just look at the 11th digit of the VIN. W for Wolfsburg, E for Emden, H for Hanover, K for Osnabruck, P for Mosel. M for Mexico, U for South Africa (Uitenhage), V for Portugal, X for Poland and D for Slovakia.

Yes up until 2003 the Puebla factory in Mexico was fairly low grade, having to share production facilities with the ancient air-cooled Beetle. But since then has been stripped out and rebuilt. Late model New Beetles are therefore better built than early ones, and the current Jetta and Golf Wagon should be the equivalent of VW's other world factories.
Super Administrator
Mrs KOMBIBOB

Rank Avatar

posted on May 28th, 2012 at 02:29 PM

Amorok won't be built there for much longer as they've had too many issues with the production. The new Beetle to be released is to be called merely "beetle". Definitely not a fan of the new design, and you are are right, the later model "new beetles" are what you should be looking at if you do indeed want one.

MemberMR930
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

posted on May 30th, 2012 at 07:51 PM

Well, I've just put a deposit on a 2003 Turbo Beetle. Picking it up next week.
Super ModeratorYogie
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

Threads: 108

posted on May 30th, 2012 at 09:13 PM

Congratulations. They are supposed to go like a scalded cat.

Yogie

Go To Top