MemberGordonOZ
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 2nd, 2012 at 08:13 PM
loss of power

Evening all.

any views on the impact of 1 faulty plug lead on a T2 (2L) losing power. I have had a recurring (but ad-hoc) issue with the old girl just losing power, will run stationary but no juice to move and just stalls trying to move her, fires up fine but then won't pull away. Going through a few obvious things today i noticed one very dodgey conecton on No 1 plug lead so was wondering if that would be enough to take all the go out of it?

In the past I have had beatles running on 3, sounded ugly but could still limp along but wondering if the extra size of the bus means losing one cyclinder is enought o stop it in its tracks.

Will put new leads on it all round anyway but wondering if I have wider issues.

would welcome views or other sugestions to check.

cheers
MemberKlaus
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 100

Mood: Heavily modified

posted on September 3rd, 2012 at 03:10 PM

points are fkd or water in fuel , main jet blocked , timing out , plugs need replacing or worst case engine is in need of rebuild
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on September 3rd, 2012 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GordonOZ
Evening all.

any views on the impact of 1 faulty plug lead on a T2 (2L) losing power. I have had a recurring (but ad-hoc) issue with the old girl just losing power, will run stationary but no juice to move and just stalls trying to move her, fires up fine but then won't pull away. Going through a few obvious things today i noticed one very dodgey conecton on No 1 plug lead so was wondering if that would be enough to take all the go out of it?

In the past I have had beatles running on 3, sounded ugly but could still limp along but wondering if the extra size of the bus means losing one cyclinder is enought o stop it in its tracks.

Will put new leads on it all round anyway but wondering if I have wider issues.

would welcome views or other sugestions to check.

cheers

Hi
usually one lead off and you can still drive your car..
but it sounds like Your accelerator pump isn't working on Your carburetor [if You only have one]
it squirts fuel into the engine every time You press the pedal down.. I had this problem when restoring My beetle.
it would idle all day.. and could get it to rev a bit but couldn't drive it out of My carport.. lol
the ball valve in the solex carby had old fuel in it which turned to gunk... as as I know its still stuck... changed carbies..

If You have twin carbies?? May be the distributor..
which will do it even if You have 4 carbies.. lol

cheers

LEE

PS: I had a problem with the little screw bit on the end of the spark plug unscrewing.. lol do You have wire plug leads?
they don't break internally... silicone etc can break when new - inside when pulling the lead off a plug or coil etc.. Lee

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberGordonOZ
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 11th, 2012 at 07:51 PM

thanks for the input gents. probably should have given a bit more detail. Van is a 75 Doormobile conversion, engine is brand new re-build (just on 1k on the clock) my dad put the van together (profesional engine rebuild) a few years ago (proably 4 or 5 actually) but then got sick (big C) and never got to use it, came to me when he died 2 years ago and I am just now trying to get it into some regular use.

Has dual Kadron carbies and new Bosch 009 dizzy. Carbs certaily appear to pump fuel OK and given it runs well initially and only loses the power occosainaly (and randomly) I am not thinking it is carby related?

I have replacd the dodgy plug lead and also the Coil (a NRMA guy was convinced the coil was dodgy so for $40 I changed it but can't see that being the issue myself). Will change the points next (assuming the coil/plug lead changes don't fix it), timing appears OK, not sure how to check for water in the fuel? Has a fuel filter so will check that.

thanks again for the sugesions - the hunt will continue.

cheers
MemberMatt Ryan
A.k.a.: Matt Ryan
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 107

Mood: Fweemin

posted on September 11th, 2012 at 09:31 PM

Could be condensor, change that and see what happens.

Regards,

Matt.

MemberKlaus
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 12th, 2012 at 06:43 AM

are you running a fuel pressure reg with kadrons as stock pump is too high psi for kads ..so could be flooding
MemberGordonOZ
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 14th, 2012 at 07:41 PM

Klaus - how do I know if I have a fuel regulator?! it has a electronic fuel pump down just in front of the firewall which I think is original for this model (1975) but I wouldn't know a fuel regulator if I was looking at it!

but you may be on to something, I have had some issues previoulsy with plugs fouling which I have put down to being a new engine and also siting for xtended periods between use. A mechanic (VW one) sugested once before I should get the Kadrons re-jeted as he thought it was overfueling but others have told me the kadrons should work straight out of the box (I think Mick motors told my dad that aslo when he brought them from them years ago)
MemberKlaus
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 15th, 2012 at 03:23 PM

fuel reg can be a holly or the chrome dial looking ones , only kombis that came with electric fuel pump were injected ones , if thats hooked up the floats dont stand a chance as it would overpower the needle n seat , fuel reg will be between pump and carbs.
kadrons do run out of the box but not without a bit of fiddling to run properly , you will need a fuel pressure guage to set pressure right too or wing it.

Go To Top