Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 2384 | Total Replies: 35 | Thread Id: 51930 ]
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject:  So you wonna know what Hoodride means?
Memberhumpty
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 139

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Totally boosted!

posted on May 8th, 2006 at 08:15 PM
So you wonna know what Hoodride means?

Some of you guys wanted to know what "hoodride" actually ment... I asked my mate Derrick what it meant and this is what he said.... The following is an extract from an email he sent me today......

"What is HoodRide.... such a good question. A HoodRide is something that not a lot of people understand, but makes perfect sense to you. It's low maintenance, cheap, ghetto, rusty, shit barely works on it sometimes... It's the anti-show car. Rat rods have to be a certain way. You have to belong to a sort of rockabilly clique to be appreciated. You have to have some sort of tough guy attitude or just some sort of annoying attitude. A person into HoodRide is very diverse - into music, art, being social, and just flat out enjoying life. It's an extension of me and that's basically what I stand for."

So there ya go.... from the horse's mouth... the dude who created it, lives it and says it like it is!

FUCH your early!

http://www.noh2o.org/ 
Memberreub
Veteran Volks Folk
VWRX is gone...

No Avatar

Threads: 160

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on May 8th, 2006 at 08:22 PM

COOL

Reub
MemberHertz
Custom Title Time!
www.melburgluft.com

Threads: 84

Mood: Too lazy to give it a thought actually.

posted on May 8th, 2006 at 10:38 PM

how true

Click the Beetle
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/aussiebug/537043350_melburgluft2.gif
Memberoval TOFU
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Bitte, ein Bit!

Threads: 234

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: :booM

posted on May 8th, 2006 at 10:43 PM

true dat

...and Robert's ya father's brother...
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on May 8th, 2006 at 10:47 PM

speaking of ghetto, anyone eva seen a gang or ghetto mob cruising in a vw?

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Memberhumpty
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on May 8th, 2006 at 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajachris88
speaking of ghetto, anyone eva seen a gang or ghetto mob cruising in a vw?

Funny you should ask that Chris.... I have actually seen some gangbangers cruisin in some very cool dubs (amongst other cool rides) in the Compton area.... For those who don't know... Compton is prolly the toughest suburb in South Central LA....

FUCH your early!

Member57 Chook Shed
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 116

Mood: ? No thanks.

posted on May 9th, 2006 at 04:45 PM

But this is Australia not L.A.
As an Aussie Hip Hop group said in one of thier tracks "Some call it Harlem, others call it Westfield!"
I don`t know why all this tough guy american gangsta shit has to be part of everything these days.

One mans cancer is another mans patina

[img]http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?action=attachment&tid=87480&pid=815561&aid=84900[img]
MemberVWFOOL
Bishop of Volkswagenism
King for a day, Fool for a lifetime.

Threads: 572

Mood: inspired yet?

posted on May 9th, 2006 at 05:24 PM

i think ur way off with the meaning of 'ghetto' when describing something. its got nothing to do with gangsters or being tough.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
One man's junk...
Memberkustomkool
A.k.a.: Damian Von
Custom Title Time!
BEING KOOL AINT CHEAP

Threads: 178

Mood: farked up...

posted on May 9th, 2006 at 06:41 PM

HOODRIDE AINT GANGSTA.Its funny you mentioned Aussie Hip Hop.Everyone I know that actually on a ozhip hop label[obese records]thinks Harlems the shit.And personally I love Slammed rusty dubs,graffiti,tattoos,punk rock hip hop,rockabilly,stencil art,luggage,old stereos,beautiful women.There was never a place like this on the net.Dont hate it...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/mear156/kustbann.jpg
Memberboristherat
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 47

Mood: The times they are a changin'

posted on May 9th, 2006 at 07:53 PM

Amen.
Hoodride forever...it's not about gangsta's an stuff...it's about expressionism...individuality...havin'fun and turnin'heads.
Long may the movement live!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/darryg/vairsig.jpg

1959 Mercedes Benz 190
1963 Chevrolet Corvair
1969 BMW 2002 Auto
1973 Mercedes Benz 230.6
Memberhumpty
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on May 9th, 2006 at 07:56 PM

Hey Chooky... Though I understand what your are saying and totally agree with your comments about the infaltration of 'American values' into Australian culture, in the context of this subject, I think your a little off the mark....

I believe Derrick was getting at the more traditional 'hotrod' culture image thing with "tough guy attitude" bit and the "ghetto" comment is more a reference to sub-cultural values that have traditionally aligned themselves with the 'less is more' principle of hotrodding and the 'get it done' attitude that it represents. Its more about community and helping out your 'hoodride' brother or sister, making sure they are staying on the road and keeping it real.... No show boy shit (more a reference to all the BLING thats around these days!), no bad karma, no dickhead lowdowns... Just good old fashion car culture with a more contemporary angle thrown in, just to mix it up a little..... I can say this with some level of justification, cause I have chatted to Derrick about all manner of things (Not just about cars), for over a year and can safely say I have pretty good understanding of the ethos that defines HOODRIDE..... Its culture jamming at its best via sub-cultural influences, mixed with good vib shit like art, music, good mates and good times.... No hurtin' need apply.

All that said.... I still dig good Aussie HipHop..... Let it roll....

[ Edited on 9-5-2006 by humpty ]

FUCH your early!

MemberVWFOOL
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on May 10th, 2006 at 12:54 AM

def wish cast come again... :no:

One man's junk...
Memberkustomkool
Custom Title Time!
BEING KOOL AINT CHEAP

posted on May 10th, 2006 at 11:47 AM

LC LYRICAL COMMISSION,TZU,BIAS B,PEGS...ITS ALL GOOD.efn oath

Member57 Chook Shed
Custom Title Time!

posted on May 10th, 2006 at 09:10 PM

Yeah, I appreciate what everyone is saying, I love Rats and built a show winning `62 Rat Bug last year which many people will have probably seen on here and I`m currently building an original Mango Green Split Camper Rat which is gonna be as stock but slammed but scruffy as they come.
I dislike show queens, bitchiness and conformity within the VW scene and I love to surround myself with laid back, don`t give a shit kind of people.
I see so many of my values in what you said in your last post Humpty.
I just don`t see the "Cool" in something that is associated with socially dis-fuctional areas such as "Compton, the toughest suburb of LA".
Whats so cool about, gang warfare, Oozies, Drive by`s and Crack??
I think that side of things just promotes violence within other comunities such as Cronella (or however you spell it), especially if it is portrayed as cool.
I know I`m probably going off on a tangent, it`s just something that gets on my tits a bit.
Graham.

[img]http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?action=attachment&tid=87480&pid=815561&aid=84900[img]
Memberhumpty
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on May 10th, 2006 at 09:30 PM

Your right Chook....There is absolutely nuthin 'cool' about 'gangstas' and violence of any kind that is commonly associated with gangs.... But there is absolutely no reference to gangs in what Derrick has expressed as the meaning of "Hoodride"..... I have travelled through Compton (I lived in San Pedro) and the surrounding suburbs of LA on many occasions, and I can say I have never seen a HotRod of any kind cruising through there!... But I have seen plenty in Long Beach and the Orange County area.... not to forget along PCH.... I think your confusing 'ghetto' with 'gangsta'.... They are not mutually exclusive..... But you are totally right about this 'homeboy' shit thats going on here..... I just dont get it!.... These local 'homies' wouldn't last five seconds in South Central!

[ Edited on 10-5-2006 by humpty ]

FUCH your early!

Memberkustomkool
Custom Title Time!
BEING KOOL AINT CHEAP

posted on May 10th, 2006 at 09:35 PM

each to there own brother,man imagen that we all thought the same what a damn boring world.I could go on for ages as why I love hip hop,punk and a shit load of other shit,My life revolves around all what I mentioned and so are all I associate with.Its only music like a movie takes you on a journey,tells a story.love ya rides fuck the bullshit.I aint gonna punch holes in our scene....Cant wait to see the next project hopefully get me of me aass to make cars the main shit...

Member57 Chook Shed
Custom Title Time!

posted on May 11th, 2006 at 09:16 PM

Cool.

Memberboristherat
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 47

Mood: The times they are a changin'

posted on May 12th, 2006 at 08:22 PM

Great points guys....let's love our dubs and all they stand for and the smiles they bring to our faces.
Live it, Love it, Rat it!!!!
Darren

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/darryg/vairsig.jpg

1959 Mercedes Benz 190
1963 Chevrolet Corvair
1969 BMW 2002 Auto
1973 Mercedes Benz 230.6
MemberCalcool
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 196

Mood: Going Shopping in my Trolley

posted on May 12th, 2006 at 09:11 PM

WOW,

I am not sure were I fit in and Hoodride may not know why either but as the proud owner of the 58 Rat Beetle that will remain that way for as long as I can keep it. I am definately not a Gangsta I am in it for the cars and if I meet some good people along the way it is a bonus such as Sam aka VWFOOL that I now classify as a friend.

All is cool or aircolled in my Hood.

Cheers,

Calcool
Memberdecked dubby
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 91

posted on May 12th, 2006 at 09:36 PM

Quote:

I am not sure were I fit in and Hoodride may not know why either but as the proud owner of the 58 Rat Beetle that will remain that way for as long as I can keep it. I am definately not a Gangsta I am in it for the cars and if I meet some good people along the way it is a bonus such as Sam aka VWFOOL that I now classify as a friend.

Well said.:thumb

MemberHertz
Custom Title Time!
www.melburgluft.com

Threads: 84

Mood: Too lazy to give it a thought actually.

posted on May 12th, 2006 at 09:51 PM

I dont think ghetto is about gangstas and murders and crack snortin, Its more to do with making do with what your means can afford but with pimpin style. Want examples? VWFOOLS oval or Kustomkools "goldtooth". These cars may not be worth 50 grand, but they get more attention than those that are. They have a story to tell when you see them at a show or on the road, because they are real cars that are DRIVEN and Abused every day as a car should, but they still look cool as fuck. They are built from time, effort and persaverance rather than dollars. They dont feel violent and threatning, they dont make people nervous, but they make you smile and feel good. Thats ghetto cool.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/aussiebug/000_0664.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/aussiebug/DOVW180.jpg

Click the Beetle
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/aussiebug/537043350_melburgluft2.gif
Memberhumpty
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on May 12th, 2006 at 10:51 PM

The term "hit the nail on the head" springs to mind....

FUCH your early!

Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

Threads: 293

Mood: Looking forward to week 10

posted on May 12th, 2006 at 11:04 PM

So if youve had a Matt Black ride for years ... been dumping your car just as long ... not scared of cutting it if its rare, like a nice Chivas, played lound progressive rock in the 70s, own a Strat and have more than a few Creedance (not Creed) albums and remember pot when was actually organic still...does that mean its not a hood ride...is hip hop, txting or wearing revisited pseudo clash clothing with no arse trousers a vital asset? ... not sure where hot rodding stopped. The line seems burred to me. And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the Hood Ride site...it's defo got a kustom kulture going and nice to see it, but perhaps it's this internet technology thats made it more visible...think that there are plenty of people that have been doing it for years...but might not have labled it before...

Loves a lolcat
Memberhumpty
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on May 12th, 2006 at 11:42 PM

Im not sure what your getting at CCC, but I think you may be heading in the right direction. One thing is for sure though is that I think ppl are reading way too much into this..... Its not about how old you are or what music your into, it doesn't have to be Matt Black.... In fact IMHO, its better if its got the OG paint!.... But what ever your car is, its gotta be cool! It doesn't even have to be the lowest of the low or the narrowest (but it helps!), it can be done on a budget, done with attitude and not following the lead.... There seems to be a common thread that binds what it is to be a Hoodride, but really when it comes down to it..... the only thing that really matters is that you built it, you drive it and you live it!.... Just one aspect of kustom kulture is the low tech, low brow way... This is what Hoodride is.... sure, cars like my Ragtop are at the extreme end of things with HiPo drivetrains and big brakes, but the aethstetic is old school hotrod all the way..... Its not a Cal-Looker, its not Resto and it most definately is not an Aero!.... Its OG and tatty, its low down and dirty and my particular version will (when its finally on the road) kick some serious V8 backside! The idea of a Hoodride is not new... Ppl have been doing it as long as there has been old cars, but in this incarnation, Hoodride lives.... Derrick started it with Dubs, but it can be anything on wheels.... It could be my old Conti or my slammed Notch with OG paint, it is Damien's Single Cab and Trumpi, its Derricks crusty T34, its Sam's Old Oval, its Tim's old 58 and its that crusty 57 panelvan (with genuine Nimbin Aquarius murels on it!) sitting in my shed!..... Now Im sure ppl will disagree and Im sure someone will get their backup about all this, but lets forget about the gansta shit and the violence that comes with it..... Its about old skool rodding in the new age!.... Get it?

FUCH your early!

Membersquizy
A.k.a.: Paul
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
Thinking about another dub...maybe

Threads: 243

posted on May 12th, 2006 at 11:50 PM

The more you try and quantify it, the less mystique it carries. The more you try and justify or explain something, the more commercial and middle of the road it becomes.

Leave it as is.....there's no need to explain it or justify it as those that know, know. Respect.
MemberVWFOOL
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on May 13th, 2006 at 11:20 AM

i was going to just post my usual one line answer but ive decided to have a few words.
ccc you said "perhaps it's this internet technology thats made it more visible...think that there are plenty of people that have been doing it for years...but might not have labled it before... " you are exactly right.
no one said derrick started it at all, but he gave it a name and a place to call home and i think we are all grateful for the hard work this guy has put into it, its easy to just log on and enjoy something without appreciating all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes, similar to this forum. if anything the site has made the scene stronger, its getting more ppl motivated to get more cars out there and driven.
if you or anyone else has been doing this for alot longer than the hoodride website has been online (and im sure there are 1000s worldwide) then all i can say is good on you mate, thats the shit.

it seems not just the car scene but human beings in general need to classify themselves into groups for some reason. i often see ppl asking is my car a rat? is this a hoodride? is it cal or resto cal? trance or techno? if you have to ask then u hav missed the point completely, just have fun with it. thats my opinion anyways.

lastly i want to say im happy to have got a chance to hang out with ppl like the damo, josh and david. i dont relate to alot of ppl in general so its good within such a small scene to find a few likeminded others i can call friends :)
sam

One man's junk...
Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

posted on May 13th, 2006 at 12:39 PM

Guess I was sayin' that Hood Ride is a new lable for a long term trend in automotive style, which then spreads to lifestyle facets too. I don't think that it's a Gangsta thing.

I was thinking about Kimm Garlands Ute...that's a nice machine, but he's never wanted to make it 'perfect', it's always been a work in progress, it's chopped, slided, diced, low and has had a series of V6s...it just gets lower, faster every year....but not too many years ago, when he was dragging matt black slammed rolling shells to shows, or adding V6s to buses...he was not called a Hood Rider (which is what it is now), more of a bus Butcher.

There are plenty of old farts that have been doing similar, but now it seems it's become more acceptable due to the numbers doing it.

Music always goes hand in hand with cars. Hoodride is not a '50 cent or other money names' kinda thing...more Cypres Hill or Gorillas to me. But I was at Bug Jam duing the hey day of the Prodgidy...and that was definately as much about the life style as it was the cars.

That era to me saw a fraction in the UK VW world, shows like Bug Jam got so big and so loud, that many more conservative VW owners bailed and we saw more 'vintage' shows....now it seems people have begun to live together...

But then there are plenty of old farts out there than have been slamming and chopping for age - not just rods - VWs. So maybe they didn't call 'emslves Hood Riders or Ratters, but were into just the same thing.

Just that maybe now a new generation is discovering the sub-culture and adding it's own twist. It's all good.

I think that the Hood Ride culture appeals to those that want to exend their enjoyment of VWs, beyond the traditional 'tomb stone' car show way of getting together. It breaks down barriers to 'belonging', in that it celebrates and accepts people as inviduals, rather than judging them on how 'original' or 'well resotored' the car is...do what you want with your car...and be with people that can appreciate it....most of all have fun with it, drive it and use it as an outlet to get more out of life, with like minded people.

Not for everyone, but I think that it is certainly a driving (pun) force in getting younger people than I into VWs.

I'd rather see a smiling face driving a ratty splitter, than a shiney one sitting in a row of other shiney ones with the owner freaking out about a finger print on the paint...

Its great to see that people are getting together and driving....after all what better county to cruise in....personally I prefer the drive to the event than the event (in terms of looking at static cars)....

Valla will be a good thing this year....I get the impression that there it will be more of an endless cruise than a tombstone show and shine.

I'd like to think I've built a Hood Ride...but not sure...I like it.

[ Edited on 13-5-2006 by crewcabconnection ]

Loves a lolcat
Memberhumpty
Bishop of Volkswagenism

posted on May 13th, 2006 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by crewcabconnection
I'd like to think I've built a Hood Ride...but not sure...I like it.
[ Edited on 13-5-2006 by crewcabconnection ]

That last bit was the best bit.... It says it all!.... and i too remember the good old days of BugJam circa 1989!.... man it was just starting to kick.... and for an Aussie VW head hangin in the UK, it was the shit... I could see it coming way back then and now the UK scene is totally one of the best in the world.... If only we could have that here!.... I remember way back in the early 90's a mate of mine from Adelaide had a matt black bug on moon discs that was hotrod through and through.... Its not new to the VW scene either, but having the www to bring it all together and giving it a voice can only be a good thing.... Right?..... Right.....

It would be good to get over there next year.... I was keen to get to Valla this year, but I dont think it will happen.... Unless I get a cheap flight and accomodation.... But anyway... Ill see you guys on the road..... Keep the (hood)ride rolling!

FUCH your early!

Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on May 13th, 2006 at 08:10 PM

Do what ya wanna do, be what ya wanna be yeeeeeeah.

Pink with a roofrack made from a Hills hoist. I won't judge you, and there is no reason why anyone should.

Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

posted on May 13th, 2006 at 10:08 PM

Seen Green Bus' new (old) Speedwell Single Cab, thats a hoodride...

Loves a lolcat
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top