Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 2334 | Total Replies: 30 | Thread Id: 98332 ]
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject:  Best place to purchase VW parts?
MemberAllbones
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 58

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on August 13th, 2012 at 03:39 PM
Best place to purchase VW parts?

Afternoon All,

I've been lurkin' trying to work out what VW I want & where is best to purchase custom parts (narrowed beams, air ride, etc). Ive stumbled across "Airkewld" & "Franklin's VW Werks" but I was wondering if you can advise where might be best/who has a great range of parts? At this stage I'm looking at a 60's beetle as it suits what I want to achieve best.

I'm mechanically minded enough to install stuff, but not so much when it comes to fabrication.

Thanks very much!
Allbones.
Memberdonn
Wolfsburg Elder

Threads: 428

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: LAID BACK AND CONFUSED

posted on August 13th, 2012 at 03:42 PM

Where are you based, that would help.

I dream of a day when a chicken can cross a road without being asked for it's motive!
MemberAllbones

posted on August 13th, 2012 at 03:53 PM

Apologies, I'm in Ipswich, Near Brisbane.
Membertar76
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 95

Mood: Rollin with The Dub Collective

posted on August 13th, 2012 at 04:45 PM

Das resto parts, Volks .com.au, vintage vee dub, just to name a few

"Obey your Dreams"!

62 Std beetle.
65 11 wnd Split "The Cross".
6? coming very soon!!!!
MemberMR930
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 73

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: VW crazy.

posted on August 13th, 2012 at 05:12 PM

justkampers are great to deal with
http://www.justkampersaustralia.com/ 
Membertar76
Custom Title Time!

posted on August 13th, 2012 at 06:49 PM

You'll find the places that have been mention are way better than you local auto parts shop for prices. i priced a kombi aircleaner from autobahn and nearly fell over when they told me the price.

Click on the sponsor banners above mate . Happy shopping :)

"Obey your Dreams"!

62 Std beetle.
6? coming very soon!!!!
MemberNickster

Threads: 34

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: Rolling with 'The Dub Collective'

posted on August 13th, 2012 at 08:14 PM

I second the comments above; Won't go back to classic vee dub again v.poor customer service.

Bought some panels from justkampers the other week and was pleased with the result, so happy to recommend them.

1962 Deluxe Beetle
1970 Low Light Microbus
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on August 13th, 2012 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tar76
You'll find the places that have been mention are way better than you local auto parts shop for prices. i priced a kombi aircleaner from autobahn and nearly fell over when they told me the price.

Click on the sponsor banners above mate . Happy shopping :)

Yes
You will find ALL VW Parts cheaper at the sponsors on here and at VW parts shops advertised in VWA magazine
You will also most probably get the right part too... lol
they are importing VW PARTS all the time..

Lee

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberMr Muppet
Commited Dubber

Threads: 6

posted on August 13th, 2012 at 08:56 PM

Leon's Motors/ Pheonix Trikes is just off Granard Road at Coopers Plains, doesn't carry heaps of parts but normally has the essentials. Especially Weber jets which are quite hard to find. Das Resto Haus down the coast is listed as a Airkewld Australian dealer, they had some real nice gear at Valla.
MemberDasdubber
A.k.a.: Alan Agyik
23 Windows of Awesome
DAS Resto Haus

Threads: 289

Mood: feeling fine...

posted on August 13th, 2012 at 09:52 PM

Thanks for the recommendations above. Yep we are the Australian Airkewld product distributors (have one air ride kit in stock currently for IRS type I, swing axle kit coming soon plus 4in beams etc leaving the US next week). We focus on quality parts that we use on our customer's restorations and own cars.....so when doing your research and cost comparisons, just make sure you are comparing apples with apples :)

All the best, have fun with the resto!
Al
dasrestoparts.com.au

Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 71

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: good

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 07:30 AM

I purchase most of my parts from the states, piersideparts are good, you can see the postage costs before you go to the checkout, always cheaper that in australia, just check with a engineer in australia about the legallity of narrowed beams or air ride kits before you import or fit them to your car.
MemberAllbones

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vwo60
I purchase most of my parts from the states, piersideparts are good, you can see the postage costs before you go to the checkout, always cheaper than in australia, just check with a engineer in australia about the legallity of narrowed beams or air ride kits before you import or fit them to your car.

I come from a Four Wheel Drive background and this has been my experience also. The biggest issue I have found is mark up, a perfect example is I can buy a Diff Locker from the State, thats manufactured in melbourne for $400 cheaper and recieve it in 5-7 days, as opposed to buying it in Australia and waiting 3 months... :crazy::crazy:

Thanks so much guys, its a huge help finding out the best places to buy from, especially being new to the scene.
Super AdministratorMISS VDUB
A.k.a.: Ash
Super Administrator
Mrs KOMBIBOB

Rank Avatar

Threads: 96

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: Low down and Dirty

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 09:14 AM

^ Always cheaper? No, not necessarily!

Definitely recommend checking with the crew at Das Resto Parts for what you need first before going overseas, Al will definitely look after you!

1963 Single Cab Ute: "El Concreto"
1962 Baja Beetle: "Peanut"
1968 Porsche 912 SWB: "Pip"
1972 Kombi Snail: "The Snail"
2012 Skoda Octavia Scout: "Scout"
2016 Scirocco R: "Rocco"
Member66deluxe
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 139

Theme: XMBX Pro Green

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 09:39 AM

buy it where its the cheapest. Not paying twice the price for something here when can have it shipped to my door. My attitude to this started when i ordered parts from victoria years ago and also ordered parts from california on the same day. Guess which parts got here in four days and which delivery took over three weeks.

This is my Volkswagen, there are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me my Volkswagen is useless, without my Volkswagen, I am useless.

61 Karmann Ghia 2110cc type1 w Los Panchito's
66 Deluxe Beetle 2270 type 4
10 Subaru WRX Impreza
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 09:50 AM

Its like grocery shopping, one shop isn't great for everything.

As long as you are aware of the different vw outlets, websites etc, get quotes around. One thing might be cheaper at one place, but at the same time, more expensive. etc.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Membermodulus
A.k.a.: Peter Hill
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: modular

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajachris88
One thing might be cheaper at one place, but at the same time, more expensive

Especially if you're shopping around for a quantum mechanic.

hth

Peter Hill
1975 Type 2 Double Cab
modulus.com.au
MemberBob down
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 31

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allbones

hey bones, when u got the rig on the road hit me up (im in ipswich also)and we ll go for a cruise if u like?
MemberAllbones

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob down
Quote:

hey bones, when u got the rig on the road hit me up (im in ipswich also)and we ll go for a cruise if u like?

Sounds great man, cheers!
Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 03:03 PM

I have stopped buying here as the service is mostly poor with a lot of average advice, if you look around it is always cheaper to import it, i do it all the time. normally about half price plus postage, you have to get the best rate for that, example, just bought a lot of earls fittings from there retail shop in the states, exactly half price, this seams to be the average for australia, take the US price and double it.
MemberAllbones

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
I have stopped buying here as the service is mostly poor with a lot of average advice, if you look around it is always cheaper to import it, i do it all the time. normally about half price plus postage, you have to get the best rate for that, example, just bought a lot of earls fittings from there retail shop in the states, exactly half price, this seams to be the average for australia, take the US price and double it.

Problem is GST, Frieght, Insurance, wholsale price and mark up.

Look at it like this, an Airkewld Air ride kit is $1725 by 1.05 ( approx. exchange rate today) = $1642.86 + 10% gst = $1807.15 + $300-$400 freight is $2107-2207. Then the company here marks it up so they can cover thier overheads...

It adds up quickly. And its S#@thouse, but there isnt a great deal we can so unfortunately.

Only viable solution is someone starts to manufacture the required parts onshore haha. Even that may be more expensive, who knows.
MemberWannavee
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 53

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 04:30 PM

Make Cip1 your friend
MemberDasdubber
23 Windows of Awesome
DAS Resto Haus

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Problem is GST, Frieght, Insurance, wholsale price and mark up.

Look at it like this, an Airkewld Air ride kit is $1725 by 1.05 ( approx. exchange rate today) = $1642.86 + 10% gst = $1807.15 + $300-$400 freight is $2107-2207. Then the company here marks it up so they can cover thier overheads...

It adds up quickly. And its S#@thouse, but there isnt a great deal we can so unfortunately.

Only viable solution is someone starts to manufacture the required parts onshore haha. Even that may be more expensive, who knows.

Just be aware of the freight - Pete from Airkewld charged us $735 for air freight for the last air ride kit we had sent over for a customer. We then pay GST and duty etc (unless you go through the process of AUS-US FTA documentation for each shipment). I'll shoot you back a PM, we have a sea freight order leaving Airkewld next week but can air freight as well (be prepared for the cost). Happy for you to shoot Pete an email for a quote to compare.

Every australian company has to factor in markup for both business viability and also to cover the losses in returns and warranty probs. Eg. a customer ordered the wrong air ride kit from us a while back, we wore the $350 international freight to get the right bits here as well as $100+ in domestic freight. Its all good when things go swimmingly but remember to factor in that risk when you buy direct as it costs a lot to send stuff back :)

Sorry to get this topic off track, its a debate that will continue. I've come from all sides of the arguement (consumer, trade customer and now supplier).

Shall get back to you shortly.
Cheers
Al

MemberRodPenrose
A.k.a.: Rodney Penrose
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 330

Mood: GETTING FASTER

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 04:59 PM

As a suplier to the VW performance market I resent the fact that according to vwo60 all prices are double of what you would expect to pay . I have set up my business here to purely help with the running costs of my own motorsport costs . I took it upon myself to create a store to help out the other VW people in Australia as there was no performance orientated shops that kept the stock I do . And it has grown into a great business as I now give back to the VW community in Australia in the way I support and sponsor this website and events with money I take out of my racing budget . Without the support of the Australian public and the business here , these events would not exist . So next time you attend an event , try to support the business that support these events . As for people wanting the best possible price , I am all for value for money , however is does not help the short sightedness of some people on here that do nothing to promote and grow the VW scene in Australia , ROD.

More boost + More fuel = More power
1968 Beetle fastest run 8.96 sec @ 161 mph 4th Nov. 2001
2010 New Beetle 8.12 sec on 8th march 2014
http://www.rodpenroseracing.com.au
MemberAllbones

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dasdubber

Just be aware of the freight - Pete from Airkewld charged us $735 for air freight for the last air ride kit we had sent over for a customer. We then pay GST and duty etc (unless you go through the process of AUS-US FTA documentation for each shipment). I'll shoot you back a PM, we have a sea freight order leaving Airkewld next week but can air freight as well (be prepared for the cost). Happy for you to shoot Pete an email for a quote to compare.

Every australian company has to factor in markup for both business viability and also to cover the losses in returns and warranty probs. Eg. a customer ordered the wrong air ride kit from us a while back, we wore the $350 international freight to get the right bits here as well as $100+ in domestic freight. Its all good when things go swimmingly but remember to factor in that risk when you buy direct as it costs a lot to send stuff back :)

Sorry to get this topic off track, its a debate that will continue. I've come from all sides of the arguement (consumer, trade customer and now supplier).

Shall get back to you shortly.
Cheers
Al

Al,

I completely understand, Was just trying to justify the mark up for other. I was unsure of frieght but guestimated on previous frieght experiences, needless to say i'm guessing they were better then expected haha. $700+ is crazy. I shipped a set of axels and transfer case gears for my 4x4 for $100 air mail, and that was two seperate packages!
MemberDasdubber
23 Windows of Awesome
DAS Resto Haus

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 05:14 PM

No probs, was trying to explain it to others as well so I appreciate you understanding. Air Freight seems to be very hit and miss (the first two air ride kits cost us $375 each)....sea freight is a more known quantity but even then, each individual shipment we send is subject to $150-250 freight forwarder professional fees (even if the goods are only worth $100!) plus AQIS inspection fees, plus a host of other costs that customs and the government sting us with.

Some people look at a US price for an item, then look at the Australian price for that same item and think the margin is all profit....trust me the margin after overheads is very very different! I can understand why people shop overseas and can't complain if people do. That is why we try where possible to set our pricing according to what it will cost an individual to buy and send something to oz (with gst as it lands). If we can't stay competitive, we can't whinge, we just won't stock those items.

Sorry to keep the banter going! I'll stop now :)
Al

Membertar76
Custom Title Time!

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 05:22 PM

Good point Rod, guys like you and our other sponsors on here put a lot back into the local vw scene!

"Obey your Dreams"!

62 Std beetle.
6? coming very soon!!!!
Membertar76
Custom Title Time!

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pumba
I dont care who sponsors what,when service is perfetic and you never get your parts,i think we all know who im talking about,i shop over seas.

I know what your saying, i'm still waiting as well ( 5 weeks).
but i won't let that one place stop me from buying local. i won't be buying from Cla$$ic again.

"Obey your Dreams"!

62 Std beetle.
6? coming very soon!!!!
MemberSuper1302

Threads: 76

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 07:24 PM

go C.O.D Shane, but you might not always get what you order.

back to square one. Know what you mean.

Rod is good, if he has room in his container and able to get it, he will.
you then pay.
Tops to him.:tu:
Memberwaltermitty
Custom Title Time!
Legend when my beer goggles are on

Threads: 268

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Hungry for mor

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tar76
Quote:
Originally posted by Pumba
I dont care who sponsors what,when service is perfetic and you never get your parts,i think we all know who im talking about,i shop over seas.

I know what your saying, i'm still waiting as well ( 5 weeks).
but i won't let that one place stop me from buying local. i won't be buying from Cla$$ic again.

I cancelled my interior order after 11 months of
"No problem next week mate"
The only reason I waited that long was i didnt need the interior until i was ready and thought (from previous experience) that if I pre ordered early enough i would save some $$ but when that time grew near and I still got the
"No problem next week mate"
I cancelled and ordered elsewhere I dont mind paying %15- 20 more if i can actually get it.
Mitchell

23 windows ...8 too many!
Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on August 14th, 2012 at 07:44 PM

I tried to purchase some sway bars for my ghia from one of the importer/respondants above, two phone calls and two emails and three weeks of trying to spend my money in Australia, no response at all after all the promises that he was different from the rest, i had a response from your oposition overseas withinn 6 hours and the parts were here withinn 5 days, at a cheaper price than what was available in Australia, i do not sponser anybody by paying any more than i have to, the oposition is over seas, if you want to send your parts as cheaply as possible you can use one of the freight /car fowarder that advertise in any of the Australian car mags, the only time i purchase anything here is if it is the same price or cheaper, At Valla i bought a vintagespeed black mamba shifter, it was well priced, if i could have bought it over seas cheaper landed i would. PS i just bought a large box of karmann ghis trim pieces from Karmannghia.com and was charged $58.00 and it arrived in six days.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top