Author: Subject:  Zelda the '73 1303S
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbturbo
Seagull-give it a rest and stop wasting your time with a couple of fuckwits.The Peek reckons he's been to Uni-I bet he majored in Master Bater.

"The Peek" sounds quite nice, thanks for the new name. Pity, however, it should be "The Peek-Taylor".

Also, I didn't "been to Uni", I did an external course which would be counted as a one year of Uni.
It isn't that hard, courses can be found all over the place online.

The best part, it is important for someone that owns their own business at the age of 17 to have some sort of idea.
Right?

Shouldn't you get back to your own build instead of wasting your time on here adding in stupid comments?

The sold one, '73 VW 1303 - Zelda
The project, '74 VW 1303 - Gretl
MemberSmiley
A.k.a.: Daniel Stephens
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 110

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Synchro'd

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Hasn't this thread taken a massive downhill spiral.

How is your car going? Fixed all those leaks yet??

Smiley :)

If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
Membersnitz
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 37

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Red
Mood: "Bug"gered

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Seagull...why would you tell Seb to man up when you are the one annoying the shit out of a 17 year old?..Seems a bit predatory to me. Man up yourself and leave "kids" alone.
Seems like this so called "kid" ruffles your feathers..so what move on..BTW I know plenty of his generation that have gone on to serve our country so dont bag the generation that protects you and the freedom you enjoy.
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Smiley,

Leaks are all fixed up the front thank god, we've had a couple of downpours that have put it to the test but thankfully she survived.
She's tooting along nicely though, I'm just damn worried about the vent deck lid letting water (when raining) into the engine bay? Should I be worried?
You're right though. The thread has taken a downhill spiral and I don't understand what I did wrong.

Memberbeetleboyjeff
A.k.a.: Jeff Walsh
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 40

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Drive bugs hard

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Seb, don't go down to their level. Remember, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything.

I love the way you jump onto any idea that is going, and are desperate to learn all you can about your bug.

Quite often your ideas are impracticable, or don't even apply to your car, but at least you are thinking about them, and working out whether this is indeed the case - this is the way good ideas eventuate - challenge the norm.

Things like dragging off other cars on public roads probably aren't real smart, and writing about them online is even less smart, but lets face it, pretty well everyone on here has done it when they were young (and probably not so young), I know I am guilty. We know it is probably not the right thing to do ......... but it does feel like so much fun at the time. :-)

Keep looking at the bright side of life - you know who you are, what you have done, and what you plan to do - you don't have to prove it to anyone, especially casual aquantances you have only met online. I think if you cut through it all though, they are only trying to give you advice (whether it is good advice or not is open to interpretation), but unfortunatley have done it quite clumsily, though I suspect there basic motives are good. Maybe give them the benifit of the doubt - it makes the world look better when you do.

I look foreward to many more of your enthusiastic posts.

From your ole' mate Jeff
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Thanks Jeff, I really appreciate your wise words.

I won't stoop down to their level and I do apologise for doing so. You're right, I know who I am and I don't need to prove to anyone else who I am other than I am allowed to have fun with my car and others can have fun with theirs. I agree that dragging other cars is stupid, especially on the roads, and I also know for a fact that most likely everyone on this forum has done so in an act of stupidity, but I will not apologise for what I did as everyone has some fun. I am here to learn as much as possible, to gain as much information and do what I want to do with Zelda. I have dreams, but everyone does, and I didn't know that for one "kid" to dream was wrong.

I can still remember going into my Uncle's blue ragtop and saying to him, I'm getting one of these one day. I have, so I have completed one of the aspects of my dreams. Since that, my dream has exploded into what I can now do with my own car. It won't stop there either, with dreams of getting a kombi next year too. But I have to remember, I probably should keep some dreams to myself as other people will frown upon them.

I have taken on board the fact that I do need to upgrade the safety in Zelda and in doing so, the first thing I will do is get retractable seat belts for the two front seats as of next week.
One step closer to being safer.
As Paul has mentioned, there is no need for disc brakes all around because I'm not going down the Subaru conversion road anymore.
It is also apparent that maybe I should finish off my body work, so that too will be completed next week. Thank god I have school holidays soon.

MemberBen386
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 26

Mood: Never had a bad day

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 11:39 PM

This thread is out of control !!
This is a build thread.

Seb, take Seagulls advise and learn to drive correctly.
Left hand lane unless overtaking.
You drive an old vehicle and you dont have much driving experience.Playstation doesnt count.Being a dickhead on the road will one day end in tears,and maybe not yours!
Get back to amusing us with your novice comments on playing with Zelda.
This isnt the school yard.

Seagull,man,chill-out.I know where you are coming from with respect,maybe these young fellas will learn some someday.Hopefully by learning it from others leading by example.
Its obvious this guy doesnt have the skill to do a Suby turbo conversion in his Beetle,so if he can afford to get someone to do it for him,good luck to him.
He will have to save 20g+,get his Mums permission and get of his P-plates.
But he can still dream.

Surfpig,you sound like a School girls Blouse.
Grow-up or shut up.
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 11:45 PM

All I can do is shake my head in disbelief.

MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SebastienPeek
Smiley,

Leaks are all fixed up the front thank god, we've had a couple of downpours that have put it to the test but thankfully she survived.
She's tooting along nicely though, I'm just damn worried about the vent deck lid letting water (when raining) into the engine bay? Should I be worried?
You're right though. The thread has taken a downhill spiral and I don't understand what I did wrong.

I wouldn't worry in the slightest. If you look at my car (a Baja) it has no engine lid and it's covered by mesh. The engine is basically sitting in the weather every second of every day, rain hail or shine. I've never had a single problem with my Baja not starting or things getting wet.
Because your car has a lot more protection from the weather I wouldn't give the issue a second thought.

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Cheers Smiley!
I'm just worried about the cables on the alternator.
Might find some rubber boots for the cables and cover them.

That'll ease my concern a little, and then once the ventless deck lid is on, I won't be concerned at all.

MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Quote:
Cheers Smiley!
I'm just worried about the cables on the alternator.
Might find some rubber boots for the cables and cover them.

That'll ease my concern a little, and then once the ventless deck lid is on, I won't be concerned at all.

The main power wire on the alternator should always be covered by a boot anyway. This wire has constant power from the battery and is always live, even when the car is off.
It's a pain when you're working near it and you earth it out with a spanner or screw driver. This will give you a fright!

My personal experience is when I was adjusting the auto choke with a screw drive and it touched the terminal. Welded the tip clean off the screwdriver!:lol:

So cover it up pronto.

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Have already had similar happen to me actually, so will get a rubber boot on it as soon as possible!
Least now I know why there was a massive bang, all got to do with the alternator!
Will have something on it tomorrow after school hopefully, will find somewhere I can get them close by.

Thanks again!

MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on September 21st, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Quote:
Have already had similar happen to me actually, so will get a rubber boot on it as soon as possible!
Least now I know why there was a massive bang, all got to do with the alternator!
Will have something on it tomorrow after school hopefully, will find somewhere I can get them close by.

Thanks again!

This reminds me too.
I need to get some for my new engine. I'll see what we have at work :ninja:

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Yeah, will head down to the local SuperCheap Auto as soon as possible to grab one or a pack.
Really want to get that ventless deck lid on, needs a coat of paint and then it is done. We'll see what next week and the school holidays bring.

MemberJVLRacing
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 30

posted on September 22nd, 2011 at 09:14 AM

anyone want to share my popcorn:no: *RESPECT* where has it gone...
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 23rd, 2011 at 03:36 PM

Have contacted Mick Motors in regards to upgrading the front seat belts to retractable ones.
This is the current setup that Zelda has.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0099-1.jpg

Anyone have any idea what the front seats are out of? They're definitely not stock and have discovered the dodgy weld job on the seat rails.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0100.jpg

Have given myself a little job to do before it gets dark tonight. Will upload a photo when it is completed.

Memberbeetleboyjeff
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 23rd, 2011 at 06:47 PM

I just got my retractable seatbelts from Autobarn. I can get you the brand & part number off the box when I get home tomorrow night if you wish.

You will also need an angle bracket for the mount at the bottom of the B pillar. If you wish, I can take a photo of it tomorrow and give you sizes. I know people who have copied it before to fit inertia reels.

Let me know if you want me to do these things Seb.

From your ole' mate Jeff
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 23rd, 2011 at 08:33 PM

That would be great if you could Jeff, really want to upgrade the seat belts as soon as possible!

Note to self: Don't put a negative to a positive and a positive to a negative, will cause fuse to start fire inside car.
Yep, just happened to me. Luckily I knew the exact problem and have fixed it now.

I owe everyone photos, when I get the chance to upload them I will.

Memberbeetleboyjeff
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 23rd, 2011 at 08:51 PM

Don't talk to the panel shop that did my rollover repair then - they did 4 or 5 of them. The most noticable were the front blinkers - both connected the wrong way round - took me a week to get to find it (eventually by going through every connection - even Grumble had it for a few hours and couldn't find it), and burnt out a flasher can on the way.

The others were in LEDs, so they just didn't work untill I connected them the correct way.

On the plus side, they did a GREAT job on the paint and panel - I guess they just aren't auto electricians. lol

From your ole' mate Jeff
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 23rd, 2011 at 08:56 PM

Alrighty, thought I might as well get it over and done with.
This afternoon I put the deck lid stand offs on and to be honest, as much as they give me the desired look I'm not really happy with them.
Will most likely get myself some hood jax ones that I found here.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/DSC_0001-1.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/DSC_0002.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/DSC_0004.jpg

So, this is what happened.
I went to go down to SpLiTmEiStEr's place to see something and to see whether or not I could pick up some lug nuts for the stock wheels.
I got about ten metres before I started to smell something, and fifteen before I saw the smoke billowing from near my left knee.
I pulled over and had a look at the fuse box. Two fuses had caught fire, and were melting the plastic.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/DSC_0008.jpg
You can see the plastic that had melted too. The blue and red ones are new fuses, but those two are the ones that blew and caught fire.

Anyway, I got the fire out, fuses out and determined what the problem was straight away. The number plate light at the rear.
I knew it'd be it and had a look. Yep, smoke there too.

So I pushed Zelda back to my house and got the crimping set, some wire and some scissors. I wanted to fix this.
So I did. Rewired it and got it correct first go. No more positive to negative and negative to positive. I left a lot of slack in the wires as I'll be perfecting it tomorrow by making it able to simply unclick instead of having to cut wires every time I want to remove and replace the deck lid.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/DSC_0010.jpg

Anyway, all fixed now and she's looking the goods.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/DSC_0011.jpg

Memberbeetleboyjeff
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 25th, 2011 at 04:20 PM

Ok Seb, here is the info on my inertia reel front seat belts.

They are Klippan brand, and I got them from Autobarn (about 6 or 12 months ago). They just looked up 74 beetle in their catalogue, and there they were (looking at the Klippan website, most auto parts stores have them). This is the 2nd set I have got (the last set were years ago, and the retactor springs were wearing out). I thought I had the number on the box, but I only have the box for the inertia reels I put in for the back seat. I gave Dylan the Dubber has the other boxes and the old belts. You may be able to get the numbers off him if you can't get them any other way.

Anyway, here is a photo of the bracket you need to fit them. This is the one VW fitted for their late beetles that had inertia reel seat belts. As you can see, it is basically a shaped piece of angle. It also has a locating pin in it, but I don't know that it would be essential, I think it is only to stop back seat passengers kicking the reel over onto an angle. If the bolt is tight (or you don't carry back seat passengers), it wouldn't be a problem anyway.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb364/Jeff_Walsh/Random%20VW%20photos/Beetleinertiareelseatbelt-Thebottombracketwithpin.jpg

Here is the other side of the bracket. The 2 smaller holes in the top of it (to the right in the photo) are actually threaded for the bolts that hold the reel. I suppose you could just use bolts & nuts.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb364/Jeff_Walsh/Random%20VW%20photos/Beetleinertiareelseatbelt-Thebottombracket-otherside.jpg

Here is the reel bolted to the bracket.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb364/Jeff_Walsh/Random%20VW%20photos/Beetleinertiareelseatbelt-Reelboltedtobracket.jpg

And here is the bracket bolted onto the bottom of the A pillar. I have taken the reel back off so you can see how it goes more clearly.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb364/Jeff_Walsh/Random%20VW%20photos/Beetleinertiareelseatbelt-ReelbracketboltedtobottomofApillar.jpg

And here it is all bolted up.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb364/Jeff_Walsh/Random%20VW%20photos/Beetleinertiareelseatbelt-BoltedtobottomofApillar.jpg

I have had a few people copy the brackets to fit inertia reel seat belts into their bugs - it isn't hard to do. You may even be able to round up some second hand ones on the forum.

From your ole' mate Jeff
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 26th, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Hey Jeff!

Thanks for all that information, very good indeed and will use it wisely.
Actually, because of the information you gave me above, I'm curious.

If I was to purchase the inertia stand offs from Mick Motors (has them quite cheap actually) and get the same Klippan seat belts as yourself from Super Cheap Auto, that should do it and I'd have it all done and dusted for safety wise when it comes to seat belts anyway, right?

Really appreciate your input though Jeff, thank you very much!

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on September 28th, 2011 at 06:12 PM

It was destined to happen with the dodgy weather of Adelaide.
Deck lid stand offs have been taken off and I will most likely continue to use the vent deck lid when the new engine goes in.
During the Winter anyway, unless I think of a way to protect the engine electronics from the water as it is and with the new engine as well.
I have also fixed the hose from the oil filter to the air filter issue as well. All working great.

Have been in contact with a few people and it has been decided on Zelda's new engine. Will all start very soon.

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on October 1st, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I have a question/worry that has been bugging me for a bit now, since I bought it actually.

My alternator seems to enjoy having it's internals knocking around.
At first I thought it was the pulley, but from what I can determine, it is the actual internals of the alternator knocking.
(I took the belt and pulley off to test this theory and I was right, the alternator).

Now, is it worth rebuilding the alternator or just leave it for now?
As it'll be replaced within the next four months with a brand new engine and fan setup, is there any point in worrying about it?
I won't be driving Zelda from the 28th of November till the 15th of January and then from there I'll probably not drive it for about a week.
Should I just leave it and wait for the new engine?

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on October 2nd, 2011 at 12:07 PM

So, a lot went down last night.

Seems people don't see Beetles when they are in there blind spots and they merge in bloody intersections.
I was in the left line, putting along at 50km/h in a 60km/h zone (seagull would be pleased), and there was this car in the middle lane at the same time.
Now, here is a picture of the intersection that is occurred in.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/ScreenShot2011-10-02at122651PM.png

There are three lanes at the intersection. The far right is right hand turn only, the middle is right turn and straight and the left hand lane is left turn and straight.
But this lady decided that it was okay to come into the left lane from the middle lane in the middle of the intersection while I was putting along right there.

She clipped the front fender of Zelda and sent me towards the stobie pole right here.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/stobiepoll.jpg

Thanks to Dad taking me out driving up at the block and being able to deal with situations like this, I was able to miss the stobie poll and save a lot of carnage.
At this point it was red light for me and green lights for everyone else. I'd locked up in the middle of the intersection and came to a stop about 40cm away from that stobie poll.
I slammed her in reverse in rage, wheel spin, then slammed her into first, wheel spin. I pulled over behind the car that had hit me and got out just before the girlfriend said don't.

I was raging pretty hard, but after looking at the damage to Zelda all was good.
It is a dent with some paint rubbed off. Nothing too major.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0162-1.jpg

So really, I'm thinking it'd be appropriate to just replace both front fenders as they are pretty rusty where the lip is. If you look closely in the above photo you can actually see the bog lining it to make it smooth. Might be ordering some from Just Kampers Australia, but they only seem to have the LHS one...

Memberbeetleboyjeff
Custom Title Time!

posted on October 2nd, 2011 at 04:02 PM

Seb,

I was talking to the Just Kampers guys at the Kombi festival at Old Bar (NSW) this morning (before we got rained out), and they gave me one of their catalogues. I see in the beetle mudguard section that they only have photos of the LHS, but there are part numbers for both sides - eg. for a 1302/1303 (indicator hole and triangular bumper slot) 1973>74, the nearside is J14557 and the offside is J14558.

You should be able to get a pair from them. Just ring them on 02 9645 7660 to check if you still aren't sure or can't work it out.

I hope this helps.

I am glad your damage was only minor.

That is a lesson in watching other drivers - trying to spot people doing stupid things - it is called experience. Can pay off at times, although it is hard to make things foolproof these days, because these days, fools are so bloody ingenius. lol.

From your ole' mate Jeff
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on October 3rd, 2011 at 02:58 AM

Hey Jeff!

Thanks for that, might give them a call and see what I can organise.
I have been taking a look around the place and might go for the whole clean look and euro bumper, but I'm still not 100%.

Yeah, I'm lucky Dad taught me how to watch what was ahead in the road and not focus on the next two metres. I'm always very alert when driving and I guess this was one of those times that it paid off that I was being so alert. If I hadn't been, could have been a lot worse and I probably wouldn't be typing on here...
Quite scary, have tried to steer clear of that intersection the past day but unfortunately it is the quickest way to the misses place, so I guess I just have to get over it.

I'm still yet to contact the lady who did merge into me. We'll see, I don't even know if it is worth making a claim for the damage done or I just spend my next pay check on fixing it up out of my own pocket. I should probably just claim but we'll see what has to happen for me to do so. Excess fee for a P plater is $1,600. Not nice.

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on October 8th, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I don't want to make another thread about this, but just a quick question.

Are hub adapters illegal in South Australia?
Or should I seriously just get Ford/Holden disc brakes drilled for Zelda so I can run really common rims?

MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on October 8th, 2011 at 02:34 PM

I don't think they are legal in any states.
Memberkaiisons
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 11

Mood: Dubbin

posted on October 8th, 2011 at 05:48 PM

http://www.volksconversions.com.au 
 Pages:  1  ..  12  13  14  15  16  ..  31

Go To Top