Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 2910 | Total Replies: 34 | Thread Id: 55720 ]
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject:  Single Side Plate Boxes...How they are going!!!!.
Membertassupervee
A.k.a.: Knob Jockey
Custom Title Time!
That really hurts doesnt it!

Threads: 25

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Moody!

posted on October 22nd, 2006 at 10:20 AM

The thing is, the gears letting go in the manner describes tells me that the damage might have been done already and was really waiting to fail.

It may have just been a hopped kerb, even simply dropping a wheel into the dirt briefly, turn 4 at E.C eh?
Mebbe he was over to the far track left and the car hopped on the bump over the overpass!! Who knows, but you only need one weakened tooth...it will wait...... that box could have been carrying that dodgey tooth for a long time......and then clink, the tooth lets go but instead of dropping (relatively harmlessly) in the bottom of the box it may have just displaced enough to clash with the teeth on the following rotation, crunch, the tooth fold in and the resulting broken teeth simply lunch themselves.
Christ it happens quickly.

I did the exact same thing with one of my 125cc superkart engines some years ago. it wasnt on a gearchange where youd expect it, it was well out of corner exit just before shifting up to 4th, no clunks, no ticking or telltale crunches , nothing, suddenly the engine revs freely and thats all she wrote.
The gears either side of 3rd work fine.
Once the gearbox came apart, the entire teeth set was stripped off both gears and laying in the bottom of the cases!

Damaged teeth can sit there harmlessly for a long time before they decide to ruin your day!

L8tr
E

Im not a complete idiot, quite a few parts are missing....
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 559

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on October 22nd, 2006 at 10:13 PM

Hi

The 3rd & 4th on the L bug boxes have very fine teeth, Albins gears will help in this area. But in reality what hp were these boxes designed to take, 50 or 60 hp from the factory.

Steve
Memberboof2332
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 120

Mood: Sympathetic

posted on October 28th, 2006 at 12:45 AM

My second said good by again the other week. the slipping clutch was oil from the box rear seal. I have aftermarket 3rd and 4th and have had no problems on the hard change from second to third where it chirps. Second let go as i backed off after a stap up my street...not long after i had started it.

Cannot wait anylonger...am in melbourne for work so i will call albins on monday and get a mainshaft sent over to the hotel.

Got a bigger turbo, so i need it to take the boost increase.

matt
Memberseagull
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 752

posted on October 28th, 2006 at 12:48 AM

what turbo did you have Matt before the change out ?

Looking for that special lady : PM me for coffee & cake
Memberboof2332
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 120

Mood: Sympathetic

posted on November 2nd, 2006 at 10:38 PM

Might leave it on a bit longer...vf24 off v5 sti. Quick to spool...punchy power to 16psi and 6400rpm. After that drops significantly. Doesnt flow massive figures..I liked it!

Matt
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top