Author: Subject:  Project kermit
MemberDubCrazy
A.k.a.: steff
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 145

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: painting anything in front of me

posted on April 3rd, 2008 at 08:38 PM

well its been an intresting few days, the heads went off top the machinist and all good news, no crack and all in all very good condition. The inlet valves all showed signs of water damage and he says at some point it was out of a car sitting around while wet(i guess before it was fitted to thois one it spent some time sitting around).

I was replaceing all the valves so no matter. he just gave me them back and he has doen everything!!!! new guides,polished,seated in fact they are as good as new if not better :cool:

Had a bit of a drama with head bolts, when the engine was pulled down two snaped and a couple more were quite rusty. I planed to replace them no matter what as i preffer to know its all new. The supplier i used said no worries but when i went to collect he told me 4-8 weeks out of japan!!! much hunting and headaches i have got all 12 of the long and 4 shorts(need 6 in total) so panic over..

We have decided for now not to fit the new turbo as it was going to need a modified fitting and time is running away with all the dramas with the head bolts so for now its going to have to sit on the side but in a couple of months i will fit it.

To top it all off i was booked for speeding and lost the last of my points so now i am awaiting the letter saying now long i have lost my licence for( between 1 to 6 months) oh yaya me!!!!!

all the new dials were ordered today so i should have them in the next 2 weeks and while i was in the shop i spoted a set of very nice seats so i am how toyign with the idea of fitting them!! oh yes the money tree is very bare now:lol:

i still havn't put the pictures on the computer but i will over the weekend..

steff...............

Life with out a v-dub is no life at all!!!!!
MemberDasdubber
A.k.a.: Alan Agyik
23 Windows of Awesome
DAS Resto Haus

Threads: 289

Mood: feeling fine...

posted on April 3rd, 2008 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DubCrazy
What are you useing now? and what paint do u normaly use? I can also get very good price's on devillbiss guns if u go that route.

if u want give me a call on 0413 135518 if its easier

steff,

Hey Steff,
I am using an old Sharpe gun (not even sure of model as it has been a long time since I bought it)....I'm still tossing up the SataJet 3000 vs Devilbiss gti Pro but not sure if the Sata is worth the extra money.

I'll PM you the quote I have had on the devilbiss and see what you think.
Cheers
Al

MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on April 3rd, 2008 at 10:10 PM

replyed das......

steff................

MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on May 23rd, 2008 at 08:21 PM

well after a very intresting couple of months and just about throwing the towell in i finaly got the green beast back. The engine just about fell arapt on me after we did the heads,big end bearing shattered and damaged the crank, one of the pistons and a crack and when we removed a bit fell off(been broken for a while but the blow by scorhing marks) so the enigne had been totaly rebuilt,new conrods,pistons,big&little ends,heads u know about and a second hand crack was found and ground and llightened!!!

so now its runnign like a bloody champ, one thing we did find was a lot of very fine sand stuck in the sump so in its life it was worked quite hard on sand..

heres the piston tha broke, all heal togeather till it was slid out then the bit just fell off

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3180.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3181.jpg

the cars still not finished,left bar work still to do and re do the interior but for now shes up and running and may i say looking bloody good!!!!!

steff.........................

MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on May 23rd, 2008 at 08:29 PM

before i post any more pics i just want to say that if it wasnt for a few people that i have only ever met on the forum i more than lightly would have just walked away but for the there dedication to help others in the vw world and the assistance they gave me in getting the beast back on the road.

I am truly gratefull for this forum and the people that it has introduced me to, with out it i would be vwless and even more pissed off than i already was.

so to u i say THANK YOU!!!!

and to Marc (midlifecrisis)... i bloody owe u one hell of a ride my friend!!!!!!!

steff.......................

MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on May 23rd, 2008 at 08:32 PM

now the all important bit... pictures!!!!!

when i got the car it never had an engine cover so i picked up a very damaged and crappy one and set about making it fit, the end result was this
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3166.jpg

on the car
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3210.jpg

and just random pics

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3206.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3208.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3209.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3211.jpg

steff..............

MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on May 23rd, 2008 at 08:35 PM

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3213.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3214.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3216.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3215.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3217.jpg

this last one was my fav of the day, my wifes very much into photography and its startign to rub off on me...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3218.jpg

steff,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MemberMidlife crisis
Veteran Volks Folk
Nartispuddlejumper, Bureau of Toxicity

Threads: 160

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Wornout and Toxic

posted on May 23rd, 2008 at 08:49 PM

Hey looking good Steff, Always happy to help.
Now you have fun with the BAJA make sure you get it nice and dirty:lol::lol::lol:

Marc

If you can't laugh at yourself you can't laugh at anyone else! Because life is to short not to LAUGH
MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on May 23rd, 2008 at 08:56 PM

Got to take it easy for a bit, run the engine in and all that so not to much offroading as i cant behave on dirt:lol:

i think i'll have to make a video when its run in for u to laugh at :crazy:

steff....................

MemberMidlife crisis
Veteran Volks Folk
Nartispuddlejumper, Bureau of Toxicity

Threads: 160

Mood: Wornout and Toxic

posted on May 23rd, 2008 at 09:30 PM

sweet, maybe you should lengthen the accelarater cable so you only have half power so you behave.

marc

If you can't laugh at yourself you can't laugh at anyone else! Because life is to short not to LAUGH
Memberbugeyedbabe
Wolfsburg Elder
Wheres her VW heart on her sleeve

Threads: 64

Mood: In love with a SMURF

posted on May 23rd, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Ii'm loving the color steff.

How's every thing ur end.

And yeah, maybe a governer might help curb your 'speed demon' tendancies. maybe not :lol:

cheers
beb

dubless. :fakesniff:
:ninja: And who the helled parked the Mitsubishi "Prancer" under my house??? :ninja:
MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on May 24th, 2008 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bugeyedbabe
Ii'm loving the color steff.

How's every thing ur end.

And yeah, maybe a governer might help curb your 'speed demon' tendancies. maybe not :lol:

cheers
beb

the only governer that works is the wife :blush:

alls good here my dear, little fella nearly a year old!!! after all the dramas its hard to belive how fast its all gone and looking at him now u would never know he was so tiny.
Hows life ur end?

steff....................

MemberOZ Towdster
A.k.a.: Andrew Westwood
Custom Title Time!
Keen to finish some projects

Threads: 132

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Having fun in our great land

posted on May 24th, 2008 at 09:46 AM

The cars loking great Steff , glad to hear you decided to keep it mate.
How is the temp fairing with the fibreglass tail on , as this is why it was removed a few years ago as the PO to Pete couldn't keep it cool with it fitted , especially on the hyway

Don't let body work get in the way of real suspension travel
MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on May 24th, 2008 at 11:28 AM

before i changed the rad system it would get to hot but since i swoped rads its been fine, even with me flogging it hard its not got to hot.

This was all done before the rebuild so once its all run in i will go play and test it properly. At the mo i am just taking it easy and the temps not gone over about 85(thermo's running) around town. Not been on a highway yet but beforeit ran cooler at about 110kph. When i first got it from pete it was fine around those speeds but u pushed it over 115 it would get hot quick, after i changed it i was running at 130kph for a small distance and it still stayed uner 100 (thermo's running)

fingers crossed i have sorted all the heat issues, if not its rad up the front time which i really dont want to do so we will have to see...

steff................

MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on May 24th, 2008 at 01:46 PM

Congrats on getting it back on the road. It is also good to see it actually going off road, I know the previous owner was only into possing it up :lol

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on May 24th, 2008 at 09:25 PM

i think he was worried about messing his hair up :lol:

steff.................

MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on May 25th, 2008 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DubCrazy
i think he was worried about messing his hair up :lol:

steff.................

Way to much product in his hair for it to ever get messed up..:lol:

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberMick058
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 109

posted on May 28th, 2008 at 11:42 AM

That looks awesome fun...stupid suburbia

MemberPete
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 69

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2

posted on June 1st, 2008 at 02:54 PM

Well someones gotta look good driving it Brad xxx By the way use HARD HEAD gell it holds the poofy hair nice and strong!!

[size=4]pete - Custom VeeDub[/size]
28 Hayward st stafford 33564356
MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on June 7th, 2008 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
Well someones gotta look good driving it Brad xxx By the way use HARD HEAD gell it holds the poofy hair nice and strong!!

so ur saying i dont look good driving it?

:lol:

steff...............

MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on June 7th, 2008 at 10:22 PM

well it never rains but bloody pours!!!!!

after all teh set backs with the engine itss has been running like a dream, just under 1000k's and fantastic till............................

pulled otu fo the driveway and it coughed then cleared so i though no more. Ten minutes downt he road it dies, 45 minutes of pissing around thinking i had elctrical problems(i had a clutch cable snap the day before and if u knwo the car u know all the wires are very close) i got it stared but maybe running on two... Turns out the injector had shit its self. so 4 new injectors at 163 each!!! and i set about changing the lot. Heres where it gets intresting, out of the 8 bolts holdong the injectors on 6 snap even tho they had been socked as best as poss in crc .
so off with the inlet manifold and off to the head shop to get them drilled and re-taped. Get a call the next day sayin that they have had a problem and could i pop down.
When i get there the story unfold that while drilling on side out the clamp holdign the manifold broke and the drill chewed the shit out of the manifold!!!

ok i have a spare at home so i go get it and they say they will clean it all up make sure everythings in tip top shape, re-thread everything and basicly make it as good as new free of charge. Plus they are going to get my other one welded up and done so i still have a spare.

so another few days with out the car , oh well now just about everything has been replaced or totaly checked out. Another phone call the spare manifold i have has a crack between the inlet and the water jacket!!! F*$k

people wonder why i bother, again so do i !! so fingers crossed i get the manifold back this week and i can get the bastard going again!!!!...

cars !!!!!

steff........................

MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 19th, 2008 at 08:16 AM

well here we are again,

some of u know some dont but heres the story so far.

after all the dramas and problems with the engine rebuild and such i finaly got it all running like a dream, very happy and going smoothly.

Noticed a slight knocking sound that sounded like detination so i took her to the garage and the mechanic wasn't sure so i left the car with him. Next day i get a call to come down and have a look so i finished work and poped down to see what was going on.

When i walked in i saw my engine totaly striped down again with crank and rods sitting on the side!!! The knocking noise turned out to be one of the brand new big end bearings that had striped its outer coating!!! lots of swearing shouting and general tantrum throwing(by me) we tryed to work out what had happened.

It looked like the bearing had spun but there was no tearing of the case when the lugs locate in the rods so we sent the rods off to a different machine shop to make sure they were all good. We get them back with a report saying the one was good but the other three were all out and by quite a bit. I had all 4 re honed when i had the crank down to make sure they were all good when we rebuilt so off to the shop that did the work to see what was going on.

when i spoke with the machinest he asked if i could leave them with him so he could tripple check mesurements. Now heres where it gets intresting, two days later i still have not heard anything so i go down to the shop where i am met by one of the owners. I asked what was going on quite politly and i was greated with "why dont u just fu*k of u cu*t , dont speak to me u shit stiring wank*r, u are trying to give me a bad name u fu*king cu*t" etc etc ad he stomped off to get the co owner. he came out and said that the rods were perfect and that there was nothing wrong with them. mesurements were good and the other shop did it wrong. my answer..Fine no worries i am not a machinest and i take ur word can i have my rods please. his reply NO. long drawn out arguement i wont bore u with the details but i got them back, when i picked them up all 4 were perfectly honed and clean not one sign that they had just had a bearing break down or even fitted!!. there answer "we cleaned them up with emry paper" perfect cross hatching and not a mark from the gauges they use to measure, sorry but they mite be good but hone marks are not made with emry paper.

They had re done them to hide any mistakes but i had a report from the other shop in town plus when it had been first pulled down the mechanic had gotten another machinest to look at them plus a couple of other mechanics cuz he was trying to work out what happend and they have all put it into writing and are willing to stand up in court .

Its in court as we speak but proceedings have been held up as in the last 3 weeks NINE other suits have been logged against them from other people including one for 1.8 million for some cat engine the totaly rebuilt and when started up it hadn't had the piston put on the rod with the pin resulting in destroyed engine.

thats been my last couple of months fun hey! i think they are going to shut there doors and i wont get anything back which sucks.

i was lucky enough to pick up another engine cheap and i have just got the crank and rods back of a machine shop out of town so at least i should have the car back but it just leaves a very sour taste in ur mouth then things like this happen. all i want is my car back and right so i can enjoy it.

oh well fingers crossed the engine will be back in this weekend and i can run it in once more then go have some fun!!!

steff.................

MemberX-I-TED
Commited Dubber

Threads: 5

Mood: good

posted on July 19th, 2008 at 09:39 PM

did you stick with the ea82 or upgrade to the ej20t??

are the thousands n thousands of splits really rare???
MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 20th, 2008 at 05:53 PM

stuck with the EA82T, thought about the 20 but at the time only a main seal was leaking and the heads were taken off for inspection as i have a bigger turbo to fit and i wanted to make sure all was good inside.

If i had known the money i have poured into it and the problems i would have looked very hard at a EJ20T.

I like the EA82T, as its super light and revs so well, the power curve is fantastic and for what i use it for it really works well but i also know the EJ is a better engine just cuz its a later donk and things move forward(mostly lol)

engine is back in today and all the rails,injectors,turbo etc are on. Hopfullly i'll get the cooling system in place after work tomorrow for the big start up. oh it better be right this fu**ing time!@!@!@!@!@

steff.......................

steff..............

MemberLIFE IN THE LOW LANE
A.k.a.: Brennden Alder
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
All people have the right to stupidity but some abuse the privilege

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Orange
Mood: What Kombi wants vs what Kombi gets are nowhere near the same...

posted on July 20th, 2008 at 06:50 PM

Geez it'd almost make you want to put a nice VW engine back in it!!:smilegrin:

tough break mate. You can make sure everything you do is right but specialist stuff you really are the mercy of the gods with some people's "so called " abilities.

[size=4] ACCEPT THAT SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIDGEON AND SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE[/size]

Alder Outlaws VW Racing - check it out on fb!!
Memberfangdangle
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

posted on July 31st, 2008 at 05:39 PM

unreal
Memberfoxy_fuchsia
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 110

posted on August 24th, 2008 at 02:54 PM

hey Steff, awesome looking baja you have there, I love the colour ;)
MemberDubCrazy
Custom Title Time!

posted on October 24th, 2008 at 11:58 PM

well its been a while and lots of funs been had but finaly the beasts outer coats finished.

i was hoping to show her off at fraser but a broken steering box and front shock mount put paid to that but it gave me the time to pull the front beam and fix all the little bits and finish the out side of the car.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3282.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3290.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3298.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3308.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3368.jpg

i have a shot of the insides but i dont have one from when i got it, all the guages have been replaced and the tacho is a smaller one(was 5 and half this ones 4 inch) new steering wheel, few more bits to do but its nearly there.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3286.jpg

as i didnt get to play on fraser i had to go play somewhere, didn't i??

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3359.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Dubcrazy_01/DSCF3360.jpg

only one leak, me leaving the drivers window down!!!

tis all good :lol::lol:

steff...................

Membertrickysimon
A.k.a.: Simon Azzopardi
Custom Title Time!
100km/h is only 9 seconds away

Threads: 43

posted on October 25th, 2008 at 12:04 AM

That thing looks amazing! Really cool idea putting badge on glovebox :tu:
Simon

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii19/trickysimon/Beetle/sig.jpg
Member11CAB
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber