Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 5999 | Total Replies: 132 | Thread Id: 75230 ]
 Pages:  1  2  3  4  5
Author: Subject:  Should I go Electric !
Membersilver
Veteran Volks Folk
Dangerous when poked

Threads: 162

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: In 2 Minds

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DUBB61
I do not know how the rich guy driving around smuggly in his little forklift car could sleep soundly when the underlying carbon footprint problem is overpopulation. I do not see anyone suggesting that we should curb breeding as a long term solution to the eviromental problems. even if Australia went to zero emissions tomorrow it would be like turning off a fan in a hurricane. Ask any scienctist what happens to a species when its numbers starts affecting its enviroment. remember Easter Island. sleep soundly people

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Keeping it real !
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by volumex
Where did you find that one?

http://www.seecon.org.uk/2009-ppt-pdfs/seec-Green-Car-Guide.pdf

Quote:
If some or all of the electricity was derived from renewable sources then it would also effect the comparison.

Yes.

Quote:
This sort of conversion isn't about numbers, it is about a lifestyle choice based on minimising your personal carbon footprint. I applaud those with the courage, drive, tenacity and money to take this step. I believe that in the future they will be able to sleep soundly knowing that they did all they could to minimize the climate problems that we are going to face in 25/50/100 years time.

If you really wanted to minimise your footprint you'd ride a push bike, not buy a bug TV, not sit at your computer on the internet, use only fluro light bulbs... There are heaps of things that will be more benefitical than an electric conversion. If everyone in Australia started driving electric cars then we would just have a major electricity shortage problem, something we already get at peak load in summer when people use air conditioning.

If you want to do the conversion for fun then that's fine, but you can't tell me your saving the environment, because currently your not really. A guy at my work is trying to make an electric car and recharge it from a wind mill that he is converting into a wind generator. When he is done then he can tell people how he's saving the environment.

I replaced every light in my house with a fluro light, and that probably does more for saving the environment than driving an electric car will. Just like you pro electric car people have an opinion, you need to let other people have their own opinions too. You can take or leave the info I give, I don't consider myself biased.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 559

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 08:29 AM

Hi

This is a great thread.

Concerning hydrogen powered cars, what I haven't been able to find out is, is hydrogen replaced in the atmosphere or once we burn it is it gone forever, so that in the future hydrogen will become a scarce resource like dinosaur oil.

Steve
Membersilver
Veteran Volks Folk
Dangerous when poked

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 09:07 AM

If I wanted to install a V12 in my car I doubt anyone would have mentioned the carbon debate
this is an engine conversion discussion! The Carbon thing is not a factor in my thought process (even if it should be)
I am fairly green without trying though
my tv is an LCD
I don't have an Airconditioner
I don't have a wood fireplace
and I think I'll stop eating baked beans! that will help the environment too! I wonder how much methane is produced per litre of milk? it is an endless debate..
I can't save the planet
I could keep the 1776 shove a hose up my bum and hook it up to the dellortos, problem solved

smoking pot adds Carbon to the atmosphere too you know!

Keeping it real !
Membermatara
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 255

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: 356'd

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 09:39 AM

Silver, what are you estimating the cost of the conversion to be? I looked into this and the costs were pretty similar over a 5 year period to running electric versus petrol but that all depends on good battery life and regular battery conditioning. If you going to get a controller have a look at the Zilla series. Its what that Datto probably uses, and is the next generation on from Curtis controllers.

Not sure if its been posted here before but these guys are worth getting in touch with:- http://www.aeva.asn.au/ and they have a Sydney branch too.

Last time I priced this up it was looking between $10k to $15k to convert your existing car. I'm not sure what you'd have to do to get it registered as well, presumable engineering compliance etc.

Go for it, I think you'll never look back.

Cheers

Steve

http://www.matara.net/vwpics/myvws/sigpicx600.jpg
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DUBB61
I do not know how the rich guy driving around smuggly in his little forklift car could sleep soundly when the underlying carbon footprint problem is overpopulation. I do not see anyone suggesting that we should curb breeding as a long term solution to the eviromental problems. even if Australia went to zero emissions tomorrow it would be like turning off a fan in a hurricane. Ask any scienctist what happens to a species when its numbers starts affecting its enviroment. remember Easter Island. sleep soundly people

better stop having sex then as well mate. that's the only way to garrantee no babies. can't see that happening either. the internet would dissappear as the need for p0rn industry that drives it would dry up overnight....the organizied crime heavies wouldn't be happy about that. can you imagine some big biker holding a gun to your head and telling you, "go home and have sex or your girlfriend gets it". :lol:

BTW, I love the idea of electric, but I'm with others on the battery issue. also, the real user of power is weight. if your are serious about making the car go long distances, get out you hole saw and start cutting. anything left in tact or that has to be there should be made out of plastic or carbon fibre.

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
Hi

This is a great thread.

Concerning hydrogen powered cars, what I haven't been able to find out is, is hydrogen replaced in the atmosphere or once we burn it is it gone forever, so that in the future hydrogen will become a scarce resource like dinosaur oil.

Steve

Steve,

The hydrogen isn't burned, it is just allowed to reform water. It's basically an electric car with the electricity made from H2, which is like the battery.

So the question is where does the hydrogen come from? Well usually water. To make H2 from H2O takes a fair bit of electricity by traditional methods, but you can allow the same arguements that you could do it with Solar or Wind electricity.

But the process is getting more efficient. There are catalysts that help. There are alternative methods being investigated such as producing H2 from water using aluminium clusters. H2 is a byproduct of desalination plants (we are getting more and more of these in Australia). Honda have the HES IV home H2 generator which uses natural gas to make the H2 and electricity / heating for your home.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
Membersilver
Veteran Volks Folk
Dangerous when poked

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 06:39 PM

What they should do is make container ships electric

Keeping it real !
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 07:00 PM

Not many power points to recharge in the ocean though...

Membersilver
Veteran Volks Folk
Dangerous when poked

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 07:07 PM

There is plenty of wind and sun though and it might save an oil spill, that just leaves
the dirty petrol bajas to drip oil on the beach

Keeping it real !
Membert2
Custom Title Time!
stop taking life so serious

Threads: 206

Mood: tired

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 07:21 PM

this should spark some interest,
on the news tonight they say electricity is going up 20%.. mmmmmmmmm fact

gravity wont get you high
MemberLUFTMEISTER
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 119

Mood: BRISVEGAS in a state of flux

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 07:40 PM

Electricity up
Time to buy a Canyonero!

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Customer service is not dead in Australia.

Always after HAZET & MATRA & VW factory tools
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by silver
that just leaves the dirty petrol bajas to drip oil on the beach

Mine doesn't have a VW engine, so it doesn't drip oil :lol:

Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by silver

I don't have a wood fireplace

That smoke you will see in a month or so is from my place.
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on March 12th, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Wes
Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
Hi

This is a great thread.

Steve

Steve,

The hydrogen isn't burned, it is just allowed to reform water. It's basically an electric car with the electricity made from H2, which is like the battery.

So the question is where does the hydrogen come from? Well usually water. To make H2 from H2O takes a fair bit of electricity by traditional methods, but you can allow the same arguements that you could do it with Solar or Wind electricity.

But the process is getting more efficient. There are catalysts that help. There are alternative methods being investigated such as producing H2 from water using aluminium clusters. H2 is a byproduct of desalination plants (we are getting more and more of these in Australia). Honda have the HES IV home H2 generator which uses natural gas to make the H2 and electricity / heating for your home.

Thanks Wes, its good to have boffin on hand
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on March 13th, 2009 at 07:28 AM

Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe so we'll never run out of it! It's the simplest element in chemistry - just one proton and one electron.

When you burn something, you basically add oxygen and the process releases energy that can be used. For example, you burn methane (CH4) by adding two lots of oxygen (2O2), and you end up with carbon dioxide (CO2) plus two lots of water (2H2O), plus heat. It works backwards too - you could start with water and CO2, and rearrange them to recreate methane. But you would need to ADD energy - in fact the same amount of energy that would have been released by burning methane. You never get something for nothing in science.

Water is basically burned hydrogen, which exists as a diatomic gas (H2). You use two lots of hydrogen (2H2), add oxygen (O2) and you get lots of heat and two lots of water (2H2O) as a by-product. Burning hydrogen releases more energy per mass than any other chemical reaction - that's why the space shuttle's main engines use hydrogen as a fuel. The trouble is that it is very hard to store - you can't just put hydrogen in a tank, like petrol.

You can compress it into a cylinder, like you do with acetylene or natural gas, but remember hydrogen is small and light. It leaks out very quickly, no matter how well you make the seals (the hydrogen molecules slip through the seals, and even through the metal tank walls). Or, you could liquify it in a cylinder like you do with LPG or propane, but hydrogen has a very low boiling point, even under high pressure. It won't stay liquid unless you use expensive refrigeration to keep the tank at, say, minus 200 degrees or more. You have to use 'cryogenic' tank storage - too big, heavy and complicated for cars.

The third alternative is the one used in hydrogen test cars, which stores hydrogen as a chemical mixture with other elements, usually a metal hydride. The hydrogen is released when you add another chemical - a catalyst - to release the hydrogen. But this method is not very volume efficient - you don't get to store as much hydrogen per tank volume as you would with leaky or supercold cylinders. It's the hydrogen storage that is the problem.

Hydrogen can be burned in a normal (modified) piston engine, or more efficiently in a 'fuel cell' which creates electricity directly from the hydrogen burning process. The Apollo command module used hydrogen fuel cells to create electricity, and water as a byproduct for the astronauts. Volkswagen is working on more modern 'high temperature' fuel cells for auto use. http://www.fuelcellsworks.com/Supppage6337.html 

Hydrogen is easily created simply by splitting water back into hydrogen and oxygen. But of course you need to ADD energy to do so - the same energy you would have got from burning hydrogen in the first place. But you could adapt wind or solar power to split water on a large scale.
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on March 13th, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Yes, there are two ways to use Hydrogen.
1 - burn it in a slightly modified internal combustion engine.
2 - use it in a fuel cell which is basically letting chemical reactions create electricity.

I was talking about number 2 as it is where the future of hydrogen powered cars will be. Option 1 kinda misses the point and I don't think it will take off.

As I said there are currently a lot of ways to make the hydrogen being investigated. I like the aluminium cluster one the most at the moment;
http://thefutureofthings.com/news/6541/hydrogen-produced-from-aluminum-and-water.html

There's still quite a few hurdles to overcome, but I think it is looking promising.

MemberGrey 57
A.k.a.: Dean
Old Grey Cruiser

Threads: 355

Mood: (OoVoO) (OVO).

posted on March 13th, 2009 at 04:43 PM

How big would the solar panels need to be to charge the battery pack up on the CCB Electric Beetle??? Charging over say a 8 hour period. The lenght of an average work day for a car parked out in the open. Realise that there would be variables like weather etc. But assume 8 hours of sunshine.
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on March 13th, 2009 at 05:18 PM

If my guess of 6kWh of battery power is right, then you probably would need close to a 1kW solar panel set-up. You'd be looking at about $10,000 of panels for that I reckon.

Membersilver
Veteran Volks Folk
Dangerous when poked

posted on March 14th, 2009 at 02:12 PM

Hi good to see some good questions and answers .
I Just checked the specification on some solar panels
and discovered I could put 4 x 200 Kw solar panels on the roof of my splitty container van these thats 800w of solar for an constant charging system
if say I converted the splitty to electric too , panels measurements are each 1300mm x 800mm
I know I couldn't drive 24 hours with it but I wonder how efficient would it be?
the total cost of electric conversion and panels would be about 20K
cost aside would it work

Keeping it real !
Membersilver
Veteran Volks Folk
Dangerous when poked

posted on March 14th, 2009 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kombivw
Silver Been watching this thread and keeping quiet as not got any advice to provide anyway. But it has turned into a great thread with lots of great points! You better go ahead with this and keep us all informed step by step. I may even do the same to my bug at the finish.

go and check the working one at CBB in penrith
you are close so its easy
I would have already been there but its a special trip as I dont live close

How far are they away from penrith airport anyway:lol:

Keeping it real !
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on March 14th, 2009 at 07:23 PM

I have lived on two solar powered boats that I had set up, the first was 600W and the second 800W. With the 800W system the best I ever saw was nearly 40A of charging current. To get this the panels need to be perpendicular to the sunlight and cool. Mounting and location is very important, for best performance they require an air gap under for cooling and ANY shadow greatly decreases their output, to the extent of a shadow from an arial 6mm in diameter on only one panel would reduce the output significantly. But park in full sun on say a cold windy summers day with an 800W system and you would be very lucky to see about 200 a/hrs max.

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberPhil74Camper
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on March 16th, 2009 at 06:53 AM

This report was on ABC TV's Stateline program on Friday night, with Quentin Dempster. It talks about the possibility of government subsidies for rooftop solar panels to feed power back into the grid. They refer to an average 8 kW solar system to feed back 35 kW-hours per day. Cost = $95,000 before rebates.

http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/nsw/content/2006/s2516167.htm 
MemberLOWBUG
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 33

Mood: OUT OF CONTROL

posted on March 17th, 2009 at 06:45 PM

This has been interesting, to say the least, Like your work silver. You know I think that apart from the fun side of doing this, how much money are you going to save from not pupmping gas at over a $1.00 per ltr, little service and repair cost. How much do spend on average each week for fuel. How much would you spend on a new car and then pay it off over 5 years.

Then environment is one thing but if your going to save a $100.00 bucks a week on fuel, that awsome.

Oh and Wess your a wanker, you totaly miss the point.
MemberXXX-1.8T
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 454

Mood: Oil Drippin

posted on March 17th, 2009 at 08:49 PM

out of curiosity how much does the CBB conversion cost?

Also any performance figures ie horepower?

0 - 100?
Memberbus914
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 233

Mood: Could be worse

posted on March 17th, 2009 at 09:06 PM

Electric Mini in Bathurst:

"Will spin the tires in 5th gear taking off. For footage go to ....."

http://www.evalbum.com/2407 

http://i59.tinypic.com/iykif9.jpghttp://i4.ytimg.com/vi/KOKlJpsfCyk/default.jpg Click the thumbnail for video:yes:
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on March 17th, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LOWBUG

Your entitled to your own opinion. But from your post your not very open minded. I have merely presented the facts. I have told Silver to go for it. I have also presented a fair comparison of petrol and electric.

It's going to take ages to pay off. If you are spending $100/week on fuel then an electric vehicle probably isn't going to have the range you require.

Membervolumex
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 35

posted on March 17th, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LOWBUG

That's a bit harsh. There are two sides to this story, and Wes is certainly entitled to his opinion, which he has supported with hard data. A poorly executed electric conversion operating long term will more than likely result in higher overall carbon emissions than the new you-beaut diesel Polo.

At this stage of the game there is no moral high ground, we are just going to have to wait until the facts determine who is right - and even then it will probably be open to interpretation :lol:

In the meantime, I'll just keep my carbon footprint as light as I can without going overboard.
MemberLUFTMEISTER
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 119

Mood: BRISVEGAS in a state of flux

posted on March 17th, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XXX-1.8T
out of curiosity how much does the CBB conversion cost?

Thats the question everyone wants to know, but is so large that it would weaken the cost to benefit argument on thier side so it is a secret SSSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Calling someone a wanker is always a good strategy when the facts do not add up. :crazy:

Notice how people use the FUN tag when it is not logical to do something. "yeah we thought it would be FUN to to superglue his hand to his forehead"
Good luck with the conversion. Fun Fun Fun

Customer service is not dead in Australia.

Always after HAZET & MATRA & VW factory tools
Membercb john
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 6

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on March 17th, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Did any of you ever considered that all that carbon emition stories are full of bull ...?
 Pages:  1  2  3  4  5

Go To Top