A.k.a.: Empstar
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 178

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: thunderous

posted on July 8th, 2010 at 02:09 PM

This one Dallas

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you." - Anonymous :ninja:
Memberempi

posted on July 8th, 2010 at 02:15 PM

Yes i know it has lots of non 's' parts.... but thats the way the owner wanted it.

Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 73

posted on July 8th, 2010 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by empi
Yes i know it has lots of non 's' parts.... but thats the way the owner wanted it.

The only thing on the outside he left Adam is the overriders on the bumpers. What did he leave on the inside?

The only one I can find on Carsales is http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8363563&__sid=...

Which is in no doubt wrongly advertised as a German Import. Interior as well as exterior tells us that it is indeed a 1965 Australian produced 1500 S!!

DH
Memberempi

posted on July 8th, 2010 at 08:08 PM

May be it sold or is off the market

MemberDyno
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 49

posted on July 8th, 2010 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug
anyone ever see those type of lights on the front apron of the red type 3..

they look like they were made to fit the front of the car????

LEE

They were made for the Type 3!! This was my first NOS set I put on the panel van(see Dallas, I do use my NOS parts!! )

Lee, here you go, here are pics of my spare set for the 62 variant when I get around to it...

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/1500king/Type%203/Picture001.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/1500king/Type%203/Picture002.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/1500king/Type%203/Picture003.jpg
MemberDyno

No Avatar

Threads: 49

posted on July 8th, 2010 at 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1500S
Quote:

The only thing on the outside he left Adam is the overriders on the bumpers. What did he leave on the inside?

The only one I can find on Carsales is http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8363563&__sid=...

Which is in no doubt wrongly advertised as a German Import. Interior as well as exterior tells us that it is indeed a 1965 Australian produced 1500 S!!

DH

That car is a "twin S". It is not an import. There were Australian built Sea Blue cars, just not many of them. Have seen that car in the flesh and I must say that the body is not half bad on it. Reasonable money for the car that it is... It is all there too but needs tidying. Surprised it hasn't sold yet.

That black notch doesn't look like an import either.... An aussie model with overriders added.
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 8th, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dyno
Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug
anyone ever see those type of lights on the front apron of the red type 3..

they look like they were made to fit the front of the car????

LEE

They were made for the Type 3!! This was my first NOS set I put on the panel van(see Dallas, I do use my NOS parts!! )

Lee, here you go, here are pics of my spare set for the 62 variant when I get around to it...

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/1500king/Type%203/Picture001.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/1500king/Type%203/Picture002.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/1500king/Type%203/Picture003.jpg

Good lad!!:lol: Do you know I sat on a NOS ignition switch/lock for my notch for a few years. The one in it worked great after I mixed a key barrel and the electrical part by machining a couple of internal bits. Someone up north wanted a switch for an early one so pulled it for him and used the NOS one.

Still got a spare NOS indicator arm!

DH
MemberEdison
Commited Dubber

Threads: 9

posted on July 20th, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Here is one to rock the boat. My 69 Squareback. IRS. according to my December owners manual large rear lights were optional.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/fuzzaxe/Image064.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/fuzzaxe/Image065.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/fuzzaxe/Image066.jpg
MemberVW-VARIANT-L
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

posted on July 20th, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Is your 69 wagon an auto or manual ? Can you list the first 3 numbers of the compliance plate and chassis number on the tunnel ?
It seem's to be a bitsa, with a 1968 front guard, and 1970+ rear guards and bumpers.
The larger tail lights were first used for the 1970 model year in Germany along with the square bumpers, which makes them impossible to have been fitted on a wagon built between 8/68 and 7/69. 69 wagons were also assembled in Aus from CKD kits sent over from Germany so should have been complete for the model year specs, and usually had the wrap around blinkers on the front.
Would also be interested in seeing a pic of your manual reference re. large tail light option .
MemberEdison
Commited Dubber

posted on July 20th, 2010 at 11:36 PM

I hear ya. I've owned a 68 fasty and a 70 wagon before. Chassis number is 36220651XX. This is manual,
The owners manual is all over the place. Shows late and early feature. Sorry bout the crap photo. But you can see under the tail lights it says Optional extra.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/fuzzaxe/Image074-1.jpg
The manual says December 69 on the inside and shows high back seats and big indicators on the cover being 71 on i think
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/fuzzaxe/Image072-1.jpg
MemberEdison
Commited Dubber

posted on July 20th, 2010 at 11:42 PM

White cards and seats as shown in the manual. The front seats are early 60's replaced by previous owner.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/fuzzaxe/Image069-1.jpg
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Edison
Here is one to rock the boat. My 69 Squareback. IRS. according to my December owners manual large rear lights were optional.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/fuzzaxe/Image064.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/fuzzaxe/Image065.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/fuzzaxe/Image066.jpg

By all accounts that car is a 1968 model as the fuel filler door is opened from the outside. A true 1969 has the release inside under dash. The bumpers and rear lights are off a 1970 (August 1969 release) or later. A 1969 has the overrider bumpers and also wrap around front indicators.

Someone has bolted later rear guards on as well as later bumpers on it as Variant L has pointed out.

However, the body may just be a 1969 and a previous owner has changed the front guards to earlier to use the bullet front indicators and the rears to have integral reversing lights as well as de-chroming most of it. Have a look under the right dash and see if there's a hole where the pull release for the fuel door was.

DH
MemberEdison
Commited Dubber

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Checked and no hole for the pull release although the carpet is trimmed for it. Will early rear guards and bumpers bolt straight on?? This is not the first 69 Squareback i've seen with nipple indicators.
Memberempi

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Checked and no hole for the pull release although the carpet is trimmed for it. Will early rear guards and bumpers bolt straight on?? This is not the first 69 Squareback i've seen with nipple indicators.

yes they will , yr car looks to be a bitsa, sounds like the floorpan may have been changed too, (3rd digit 2 = 72)

Memberempi

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 11:44 AM

A photo of the dash would help too, 68 still had the 3 fresh air vent levers 69 had two balck 12v knobs

Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Quote:

The guards will bolt straight on. One of the fellows in Canberra (Andy ?) had late guards on the rear of an early square as he seemed to like the bigger lights.

There have also been a few 69s with the early tank put in and the exterior filler hole welded up "for security reasons". There was a red one from Newcastle area done that way.

Never think that some things "came out of the factory" as being true as 40 years on, anything can and have been changed to suit the later owners likes.

If you want it to look a real 69 you need to change the bumpers, front and rear guards for the correct tail light/front indicators/side marker lights, put the chrome strips back on the sides and add the bonnet trim. Only you can decide if the cost is worth it.

DH
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
A photo of the dash would help too, 68 still had the 3 fresh air vent levers 69 had two balck 12v knobs

Hi Adam. Only us retired Dubbers have time to play on the pooter through the day!!

DH
Memberempi

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Retired!!!! i wish im 33 !! Just hardcore.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1500S
Quote:

Hi Adam. Only us retired Dubbers have time to play on the pooter through the day!!

DH

MemberVW-VARIANT-L
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Quote:

half true Adam, most of the 68's were old model spec with 5 stud, filler under hood and 3 vent levers, but the German CKD or imports have the black knobs.

I suspect this is a 69 wagon with a 68 front guard and 72 pan, guards and bumpers rather than a German 68 ( the compliance plate number would tell).

The December 69 manual is for the 1970 model year, and most of the manuals still have earlier photos with the descriptions. The 69 model manual still has the smaller raised taillights.

The "* optional extra" reference for the late models is for the rear reversing light, which wasn't standard fitment ( the bases came without the socket, wiring, and no switch in the transmission).

You're right about the bullet indicators as all the pre-70 squarebacks in USA have bullet indicators as standard. Only late 68 CKD/1969 squares have wrap arounds in Australia, but quite a few have been replaced with bullets, thought of doing this myself.
MemberEdison
Commited Dubber

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 12:44 PM

haha. I was waiting for the dash photo request. I don't care if it is a 69 or not, that's just what the papers say it is. As i said before i've owned a 68 and a 70 and am well aware of the differences etc. But i would like to change the column and wheel to the old style if it will fit. Maybe it is a 72 with front guards changed and a 70 tailgate. There is a wiper arm on the column that is not connected. The key works on everything besides the (early :)) drivers door :spin:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/fuzzaxe/Image070-2.jpg
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
haha. I was waiting for the dash photo request. I don't care if it is a 69 or not, that's just what the papers say it is. As i said before i've owned a 68 and a 70 and am well aware of the differences etc. But i would like to change the column and wheel to the old style if it will fit. Maybe it is a 72 with front guards changed and a 70 tailgate. There is a wiper arm on the column that is not connected. The key works on everything besides the (early :)) drivers door :spin:

But your claim was "Here is one to rock the boat. My 69 Squareback. IRS. according to my December owners manual large rear lights were optional". By December 1969 the showrooms all had the new body style in them and any leftover early bodies were around the back somewhere to be sold off with great discounts. The fact is from the outside it looks nothing like a 69 square except that it's a short nose one. The dash now does show in fact it is a 69 but with a 72 on steering column. Also, can't be a 72 with changed front guards as they won't fit plus the 72 also has a different dash. As someone else says, it's a bitsa, but if you are happy with the looks then that's all that matters.

Maybe there is a problem in that it gets new Type 3 owners believing things associated with year identification which isn't so.

DH
MemberEdison
Commited Dubber

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 03:11 PM

Thanks for the info. Guess i was wrong about the rear lights being optional extra as i now hear it is the switch.

No doubt it's (69?) a bitsa.
MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

Threads: 4

posted on July 21st, 2010 at 06:11 PM

It seems at the start of the CKD cars in late 68 (69 model year)there were a few German 68 spec cars with fuel flaps like that. I think these cars had bullit indicators, no over riders and swing axle. Interesting there is a car on ebay at the moment that claims to be a 68(bullits,no over riders) but has a 69 and latter type fuel flap.
Membercruiser
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 17

posted on July 23rd, 2010 at 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Burrelli
It seems at the start of the CKD cars in late 68 (69 model year)there were a few German 68 spec cars with fuel flaps like that. I think these cars had bullit indicators, no over riders and swing axle. Interesting there is a car on ebay at the moment that claims to be a 68(bullits,no over riders) but has a 69 and latter type fuel flap.

These features are exactly what my 68 has.

Do Aussie stamped/pressed cars have a plaque that says "made in Australia"? If so then it's an easy way to tell an import/ckd car from an Australian made one?
MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

posted on July 23rd, 2010 at 01:19 PM

I have not seen any Aussie produced type3s with "made in Australia" on the plaque. I think that is because that only 30%-40% of the cars were made in Australia so on the plaque it says "made in Germany". Cruser your car would still have a lot of aussie made componants like glass, starter motor, genorator ect. but not an Aussie pressed body. Aussie made beetles (1963-1968?) had "made in Australia" because they were up to 90% Aussie made.
MemberBurrelli

No Avatar

posted on August 2nd, 2010 at 05:16 PM

Looks like an Aussie 67 with latter 4 stud wheels and brakes. I like the colour but I have not seen one that colour before.
MemberEdison
Commited Dubber

posted on August 3rd, 2010 at 06:43 PM

Nice looking Fasty!! what's the interior like?
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on August 4th, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Quote:

Yes,
You can change the late steering wheel to an early one...
I changed My beetle early one to a late type 3 one... lol

LEE

Error

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Membervlad01

Threads: 109

Mood: Side ways

posted on August 4th, 2010 at 09:08 AM

Quote:

Thats got either 72 or 73 gauges and same as the steering wheel. the rest looks about right. Even the ash tray is correct.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/vladk01/notch04.png
71 notchback,
Past owner of, 70 NB, 73 SB and 72 FB TLE
Membernsuwift
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 27

posted on August 4th, 2010 at 07:31 PM

the door hinges dont look like early ones my notch is 67? and has different ones
 Pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6

Go To Top