Pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ..  31
Author: Subject:  Zelda the '73 1303S
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

Threads: 13

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 5th, 2011 at 08:58 PM

It should all be easy mate. I've got a spare interior light which you can have for free as well.

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on July 5th, 2011 at 09:06 PM

Alright, sounds like a plan for this coming weekend. I can get down to wherever you are to pick it up if you want? PM me details if need be!

Basically this weekend I'm clearing out the garage to start sanding back the wheels and getting rid of all the surface rust.
I have a mate that works in a powder coating factory and I can get each rim done in gloss black for ~$20 so that is pretty damn good!

The sold one, '73 VW 1303 - Zelda
The project, '74 VW 1303 - Gretl
Memberbeetleboyjeff
A.k.a.: Jeff Walsh
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 40

Mood: Drive bugs hard

posted on July 5th, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SebastienPeek
If not, is it a hard task to get them connected? How much work will be needed to put into ripping everything out to get it done.

Even if the wires are not there, you should be able to push a stiff wire up the A pillar to use as a pull wire to get new wires through.

Actually, when you cut out the headliner for the interior light, if you can't see the wires, have a fish around with a piece of wire with a hook in it and see if you can fish any out before you try and fit new ones.

From your ole' mate Jeff
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 5th, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Alright, too easy Jeff!

I'm just praying that the wires are still there somewhere, it'll make my life a whole lot easier when it comes to reinstalling the interior light!

Must say thanks to everyone who helped me with the light issue, I'll be taking everyones ideas and thoughts into consideration when I get around to installing everything.

Something that I'm very excited about doing is installing two LED strips under the dash, just like Joel has done. I think this will give sufficient lighting as during the holidays, the boys do like to have their midnight cruises in Zelda.

I'm somewhat of a nerd. I enjoy programming way too much and spend way too much time behind a computer. By me going through and doing everything to Zelda that I want to do, not only will it mean I become somewhat healthier by spending more time outside, but it means I'll be able to learn about all these new things that I could only imagine when I was a kid. The fact that I'm living out my childhood dream of owning a beetle and playing with it, well, that's great in itself.

I'm thinking about designing my own parcel shelf and sub enclosure by utilising a CAD program. I've got a few great ideas that mates and I have thought of and I can't wait to put them into action. I guess I'll learn all about fibreglassing too! :D

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 7th, 2011 at 01:10 AM

Couple more days and everything starts.

Started thinking about and planning out the design for the sound system, shall be very good indeed.

Have made a plan for what is to happen during the holidays, as follows, starting Friday morning.

- Pick up reproduction tombstone light.
- Pick up interior light.
- Go to Super Cheap Auto or Autobahn and pick up everything I need to get started on the repairs. Sand paper, elbow grease, the works.
- Rip out interior carpet, look for rust, vacuum everything.
- Cut a hole in headliner for interior light, pray wires are there.
- Take steelies to tire place to get tires removed.
- Give steelies a quick rub down with some sand paper to get rid of the surface rust.
- Take steelies to mate at powder coat factory, get them powder coated gloss black.
- Take them to tire place to get tires put back on.
- Get the hubcaps to a better standard, need to get a few kinks out of a couple, otherwise they can just bang straight onto the new wheels.
- Remove taillight assemblies from rear guards.
- Sand rear guards back to bare metal. (Pray there are no rust holes).
- Knock small dent out of LHS(?) guard.
- If there are no rust holes in need of fixing, line guard with body filler to make smooth.

After all this is done I'll no doubt have no more time for much else other than putting on the steelies and cruising around with them. I'll hopefully be putting in a new head unit too, I'm looking into how the previous owner setup the current sound system and it doesn't look too dodgy, he has run the wires where I can actually see them and so forth, so that is always good. I'll be purchasing a couple of LED strips for the footwells too, just to give it a little more flare I guess...

I'm really wanting to white wall them, but have heard along the grapevine that they're actually now illegal in South Australia? Defectable?

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 7th, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Before heading out to school this morning I took a couple of photos of Zelda and her current stance. She looks like she's sagging at the rear, but I'm not going to complain about that, although the exhaust still likes to scrape going over speed humps.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0164.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0165.jpg

These are the dreaded stickers that'll be replaced with the forum sticker come whenever it arrives in the post. I got myself a white one to match her.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0166.jpg

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 7th, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Also, I'm pretty sure that nothing is connected when it comes to the fan and heating.

The back window likes to frost up every morning and so does the front. No way I can see in the morning without wiping it down every ten seconds.
I usually crank all the windows down and have the quarter panels open as well.

Is there anyway that I can check whether or not the heaters are connected or the fan is? I would really like to get this working, seeing as though it is bloody freezing here in Adelaide!

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 7th, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Going for a little road trip tomorrow morning to pick up my reproduction taillight.
Might get SpLiTmEiStEr to have a look at my heating while I'm there, if he isn't too busy, was bloody cold driving home this evening!
Really hoping it is something bloody simple.

Tomorrow I shall start to write down exactly what I need to accomplish what I want.
I'm somewhat nervous about the cost of tools and such. Although I'm really hoping a mate has a few tools that I can borrow...

More news come tomorrow!

Memberdonn
Wolfsburg Elder

Threads: 428

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: LAID BACK AND CONFUSED

posted on July 8th, 2011 at 07:36 AM

Tools are cheap, they last forever. Keep up the good work and updates. :tu:

I dream of a day when a chicken can cross a road without being asked for it's motive!
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 8th, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Took the liberty of cleaning up Zelda's interior this morning, got the vacuum into her and got all the junk off the floor.

As I have mentioned before, my heaters don't seem to be working. I decided I'd take a couple of photos of the heaterboxes and such.

Heater box from passenger side.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0167.jpg

Heater box from drivers side.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0169.jpg

I also noticed this little thing hanging out of the pan, it might actually be the heater box connection but I'm not too sure. (You can just see it dangling)...
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0168.jpg

Anyway, is there any way to determine the original colour of my beetle? Is it possible by the chassis number or not really? I took a photo of under the dash and well, she's definitely a mustard yellow...
(Oh, and check out the poor wiring, may need to redo it at some point!)
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0170.jpg

MemberSTIDUB
Custom Title Time!
Over it.

Threads: 57

Mood: Worn out, for no benefit.

posted on July 8th, 2011 at 01:04 PM

that PM scared me :lol:

feel up the top of your heater boxes where the papery hose connects, i think theres a flap in there that opens/closes with the lever next to the handbrake. get a second person to more the lever while you watch under the car. - the other cable runs to flaps under the rear seat to control incar or demister options once the other is open, cant remember the specifics of it, its been awhile since i had all that but 2 peoples hands & eyeballs should be able to find where it all goes, if somethings disconnected it should be self explanitory to trace back to where it should go.
just dont die of exhaust fume inhalation or swallow any chunks of stuff that come off under the car while the cables/flaps move :tu:

Volkswagen Drivers Club of Queensland - member :)

STIDUB - yep its still a work in progress

Vwdcq club car racing/ and crashing while my bug isn't finished.

The above are personal views, no more, no less
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

posted on July 8th, 2011 at 06:26 PM

Yep, that pin is definitely your heater control cable. Get it connected back up and see if it works! If you bring it round to my place tomorrow we should be able to sort it out.

The wiring looks really neat and tidy! Don't mess with it. Most beetles are far worse, lol. All you have there is the factory loom all nice and neat, plus a couple of speaker wires run loose and taped to the loom with electrical tape. It will be fine. If you wanted to be neat then you could replace the electrical tape with a couple of cable ties.

MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on July 8th, 2011 at 08:36 PM

Yep there's why the heaters arent working.
good chance the barrel bolt for the cable is now missing.

Your factory colour is Wattle, same as my 74 1300 beetle.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/boostedbug/my%20other%20bugs/daisy2.jpg

If your lucky the paint code sticker may still be on the apron like this

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 9th, 2011 at 01:38 AM

STIDUB,
You think that PM scared you! It has definitely given me a reality check and well, I think we'll be taking a breather and rethinking everything :P

Mark,
I'll see you around 10:30 - 11 tomorrow morning. Hopefully we can have a look and try and get these heaters attached, I'm sick of cold drives like this evening! As for the wiring, just had a second loo at Jeff's thread on his dash, he has a wiring issue. I definitely don't in comparison!!

Joel,
The sticker isn't there, I'm assuming it wold have been removed when they resprayed it. That's somewhat a disappointing find, but I guess now I know what her real colour is... I just don't see why they would have gone to so much trouble to do everything but that one section of the body!

MemberSTIDUB
Custom Title Time!
Over it.

posted on July 9th, 2011 at 03:33 PM

sorry, should of suggested you were sitting somewhere you couldnt fall over before reading :lol:

still reckon u could do it, just learn to like migoreng & baked beans on toast haha

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 9th, 2011 at 04:24 PM

Today has been, well, interesting.

Went to Mark's place to grab an interior light, he seemed to have absolutely every other part for a beetle except an interior light!
So instead, we decided to take the liberty of raising Zelda up and trying to reconnect the heater boxes. This is her raised and a shot of the heater cable that is actually there!

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0175.jpg

So, after a bit we got that one connected and Mark tried to grab another one out of the bug that was sitting on her lonesome out the backyard. After no prevail, I drove home confidently. That was until, well, all hell broke loose.

Today was a very yucky day indeed, pouring with rain and the roads were extremely slippery. Heading down the highway, all of a sudden everything went to shit. I was doing about 70km/h and my engine just conked. I pulled to the side of the road in the pouring rain, got under Zelda and unhooked the heater box just in case. Got back into Zelda and tried to start her. Nothing.

So I jumped back out into the rain and had a look under the decklid. I found the problem, and even in the rain, took a photo. Somehow this had come loose. (It looks attached in the picture, but it was just the angle I took the photo on, the black wire had come loose and was floating around).

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0178.jpg

So once I'd done this, it was a perfect trip home. I got back home and figured I might as well try my hand at reconnecting the heater box back to the cable. So I did and here it is all connected and lovely looking.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0176.jpg

Now, you're probably all, well not really but I'll tell you anyway, I have no cable coming from the drivers side of the pan. It's just, well, missing.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0177.jpg

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 9th, 2011 at 04:26 PM

STIDUB,

I'll be sure to be sitting down next time I PM anyone asking about prices! :P

But yes, I am willing to do that, although I'm quite fond of both migoreng and baked beans on toast, so shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Just have to continue to save more and more cash through work and then I'll be able to do it!

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 10th, 2011 at 06:35 PM

Hmm, seems I keep having bad luck with Zelda. Get her back a couple of days and then something new goes wrong.

This time it is the indicators, they seem to only like to engage sometimes. Both from the indicator stalk(?) and the hazard light switch.
I don't know if this could be a fuse, it just seems to be very weird that they only work sometimes and not the others. Dad did say something about a blinker can?

Also, somehow Dad was able to get her working in second, but he was definitely revving her hard.
Are you supposed to drive beetles extremely hard? He was in second till about 40km/h and staying in third for just driving around the block.
I must baby Zelda, I usually am in third before 40km/h and cruise in fourth 50km/h and above...

Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

posted on July 10th, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Mate, second gear at 40km/h is not driving the car hard! If anything, changing up at such low revs is harder on the engine. Bugs sound like they are revving a lot more than a modern car because there is so much noise from the fan and the lack of sound absorption by water jackets and a heavy engine block. My normal around-town speeds to change gears when accelerating would be something like 20km/h in 1st, 50km/h in 2nd and 80km/h in third. Because fourth gear is an overdrive, you shouldn't really use it until at least 60km/h. At 60km/h I will only use fourth for cruising on the flat or downhill, as any acceleration or hills loads up the engine too much and it is better to shift down to third.

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 10th, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I will definitely keep that in mind Mark, looks like I'll only be going into fourth when I head up to the Barossa or into the Clare Valley!

Seems my fourth is now my third :P

Maybe going down to second gear will work then, I don't know, it just seems very strange. I don't understand though, I will just have to get into the car with Dad and show him what is going on...

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 11th, 2011 at 02:56 PM

This morning I went down to Imparts and picked up and interior light and a couple of door sensors that I needed to fix up the interior light issue.

I then picked up a mate who is good with the whole electronic side of cars and we went to Supercheap Auto to pick up an LED "bulb" to fit the interior light fitting.

Drove home and decided it was time to install it. I cut away the section I had previously marked.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0182.jpg

And then what I had been dreading. There are no wires to fit the light!

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0181.jpg

So now starts a big task of actually getting the wires there. How would I go about doing this? I can't seem to even get into the pillar to actually check if there are any wires in there but have just fallen down? How would I go about feeding new wires down, where would they need to go?

I'm really sorry about all the questions, I just was really hoping to get the interior light installed and ready before this weekend, and it seems that isn't going to be the case if I need to do something big to get into the crevice and feed the wires up...

MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on July 11th, 2011 at 04:00 PM

It's pretty easy to run the wiring, they go down the windscreen A pillar.

I had to run an extra wire for mine down to my under dash LEDs so they worked on whatever setting the interior light is on.

Just tape a wire to some sort of snake and feed it down and it will come out next to the glovebox in the boot.

The wiring is dead simple.
just a positive feed from one of the live fuses, it would be number 8 or 9 to the non switched side of the light.

then there is a ground to on of the switched sides and the two door switches T toghether and go to the other terminal on the switched side.
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 11th, 2011 at 08:08 PM

I took the liberty of taking out the door sensors this evening and took a couple more photos to go with it.

Right hand side current door sensor. Like I said, it likes to get stuck...
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0189.jpg

Right hand side somewhat hanging out of the pillar.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0191.jpg

And this is the brand new one comparing it to the older one. Massive thanks to SpLiTmEiStEr for them!
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0193.jpg

New right hand side door sensor being installed.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0192.jpg

And this is the right hand side door sensor completely installed.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0195.jpg

I then moved onto the left hand side door sensor. This one had no issues with it other than the fact that it was now a different size/colour to the right hand side one.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0199.jpg

So, this one was weirder than the other. It looks like there is a second cable coming off of the connection that hooks onto the door sensor... (Sorry about the blurry picture, it's dark).
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0201.jpg

But yeah, it was a lot harder than I thought to pull it out. I'm assuming something is caught somewhere? I'll try and take a couple more photos tomorrow morning when it is light, but is the second cable supposed to head up into the interior light section?

I took another photo of the hole in the headliner, obviously towards the A pillar of the windscreen this time as Joel had said that is where the wires should have been.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0208.jpg

So looks like I'll be doing what Joel has said, unless I can find what this second cable does that is coming off the left hand side door sensor...

Membercam070
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 53

Mood: Getting hands dirty stripping the bug down

posted on July 11th, 2011 at 08:26 PM

Wire coat hangers, like the ones from a dry cleaner will be your friend
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 11th, 2011 at 08:36 PM

I'll have to grab a couple out of my cupboard, and go fishing with them, hopefully I'll catch something!

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 11th, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Ah, and few some good research, I found this little website on how to replace the interior light.
They had no wires either, so that makes it good for me!

http://www.vw-resource.com/int-lite.html 

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 12th, 2011 at 11:14 AM

This morning I decided it was time to get rid of the, well, dodgy sticker job of the previous owner. I should probably apologise to whoever it is, he may be on here I don't know!

I took this photo before I started, turned out pretty decent...
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0209.jpg

So, this is the sticker on the front window. These VW stickers were really weird, the blue was like a type of rubber. The silver, it was the sticky part. Was very weird.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0210.jpg

And here it is without the sticker, after about ten minutes worth of work!
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0215.jpg

I then moved to the three on the back, starting with the right hand side VW sticker.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0211.jpg

Right hand side one removed.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0212.jpg

Left hand side one removed.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0214.jpg

Now the middle one was a task and a half. Took me a good part of an hour to get everything off and even still there are a few sticky bits that need to be removed. But here is the back window clean!
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0216.jpg

I'm thinking about putting the new stickers on her tomorrow or later this afternoon!

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 12th, 2011 at 05:36 PM

Went out to Zelda today with a few mates with the intention of fishing out these wires for the interior light. Now what I ball breaker.

You know how I showed you all how neat and tidy the wiring was, well because of how neat it was, it made it a bit of a headache to even get to the correct wires.

But we somewhat figured it out. We disconnected the battery and had a play with the passenger side wiring underneath the dash.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0219.jpg

Then, we popped off the fuse box cover to see what we were up against.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0221.jpg

We then traced the positive wire (I'm assuming it is red, factory) from the 9th fuse and found it going into the hole just underneath and tucked behind the dash.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g388/SebastienPeek/IMG_0222.jpg

This is where it got a bit messy. Due to it being in its black little condom (as we called it all day today), we were unable to just pull the red wire and then push it back up. We pulled the condom back as far as possible and I started yanking on the red wire. This is when it kinda went, snap.

So not only were we unable to fish out the wire, but she is definitely broken. The aim is to now rip out the current wiring for the interior light and door sensor setup and feed the necessary wires up the windscreens pillar and so forth to rewire the whole setup. This shouldn't be a too difficult job, but famous last words as it'll probably result in the ripping out of the dash.

But I guess it definitely allows us to see what her original colour was. I just don't know if I'm definitely up to the task of ripping out her dash and fixing the wiring. I might as well do it while we're fixing up the rear guards. It all starts Friday!

MemberSTIDUB
Custom Title Time!
Over it.

posted on July 12th, 2011 at 11:55 PM

so, about those rear lights i mentioned its easy to add a reverse to if not already having one...
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae239/STIDUB/IMG_9442s.jpg
extra/spare peice is the same as an indicator one
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae239/STIDUB/IMG_9443s.jpg
tight fit but goes in, and hey presto, reverse light capability
thats assuming your gearbox has the reverse light switch & you run the appropriate wires, though you should already have that being a 73 :)

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 13th, 2011 at 03:55 AM

Hey STIDUB!

Thanks for that! I'm curious though, how do I determine whether or not I have the reverse light switch on the gearbox and the appropriate wires are still in fact there?
I don't want to be bent over again as I already have been with the interior light and those wires, so I want to find these ones before I even attempt the rear guard change.

Thanks again!

Pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ..  31

Go To Top