Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 5998 | Total Replies: 132 | Thread Id: 75230 ]
 Pages:  1  ..  3  4  5
Author: Subject:  Should I go Electric !
Membervolumex
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 35

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on April 3rd, 2009 at 01:49 PM

Spotted this today - having an a/c electric bug would literally be cool.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=715849 
MemberVanders
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 28

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey

posted on April 30th, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I'm also thinking of an electric conversion for a bay kombi. I currently have a bay (called Bullet) in storage that has no mechanicals, and a big hole in the roof where the pop-top used to be. Apart from that the body is in okay condition.

My plan is to cut the body down to make a single cab ute, like this:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r315/vandenbergp/300261.jpg

The space between the chassis and the tray will be used to store the batteries in a custom box. You could store a lot of batteries under there.

I was looking at using a 144v motor like the ones here http://www.evmotors.com.au/products/fb1.html 

If the tray is made up of lightweight materials such as aluminium, the increase in weight caused by the batteries should be offset by the reduced weight in body.

Still in planning stages at the moment. A couple of things are swaying me towards the electic option. One is that I don't currently have a motor for the project. Being a custome tray, cooling an aircooled motor may be problematic. For a fully reco air cooled motor, the dollars are large. I could do a water cooled conversion such as a commodore V6 or subie, but it's a lot of stuffing about with ecu's and exhausts and I really can't be bothered, and it is also lots of dollars. The electric option seems pretty straightforward, and not a lot more expensive ($3.5K for motor + conroller + batteries).

This would be my work ute. Short runs around town. The occaisional longer trip. I'd like to be able to get 150 to 200 kms out of a charge, so I'll be looking at a lot of batteries. One idea was to have two banks of batteries, and swap between them when needed, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Being in Tassie, there aren't a lot of EV's on the road, and I might try to find some sort of sponsorship for the project, maybe involve the local TAFE. We'll see where it goes.

Cheers,

Paul

1972 Type 3 Kit Car - "Marauder"

http://www.paulsweb.info/marauder
MemberEuro_67
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 75

posted on April 30th, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Very interesting reading and debate. Hats off to Mike at CBB for a very tidy conversion indeed ! But still one important fact missing, what is the cost of conversion ?

Silver's reasons for considering the conversion certainly make sense to me, I rarely drive my beetle these days. When I do it is usually locally for no more than 30 mins at a time, and mainly for my son's entertainment and joy, as he loves going out in it. The idea of an almost silent, retro looking techie car is very appealing. If I could complete the conversion for what I could sell my twin Dell'd 1776 and all the other miscellaneous parts that were surplus, Id be starting the swap tomorrow.
Why ? Its different, and at the same time NOT a Subaru swap that has become the norm. Sure there are other things to consider, but for me it just the whole alternative thinking, being different. My current usage pattern for my beetle, is well within the range of the CBB conversion.
Unfortunately, I am sure the costs involved would prohibit me from even considering this further. My wife already sees the annual running costs of the beetle, out third car, as self indulgent, spending more money on it would simply be fanning the fire.

I will donate $25 towards Wes' return airfare to come down to CBB and see for himself and compare the facts & figures with Mike in person. Any one else want to chip in? 9 donations more and its $250 which would more than cover it ? Just dont mention the environmental cost of the air travel, i guess.
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 559

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on June 1st, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Hi

Saw these kits in the US http://rebirthauto.com/assembledvolkswegenbettleconversionkit.aspx 

Steve
Membersilver
Veteran Volks Folk
Dangerous when poked

Threads: 162

Mood: In 2 Minds

posted on June 1st, 2009 at 05:20 PM

Not doing this conversion for a while I spent the money on a new GTI

Keeping it real !
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 559

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on June 1st, 2009 at 06:01 PM

Hi

Wayne I had an R36 wagon during the Nationals, you should have bought one of them.

Steve
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on June 1st, 2009 at 06:09 PM

Pity you had to give it back Steve! Maybe you can talk Eileen into trading the Prado in on one? I bet she would like one even more than the old Audi 200T.

Did the electric Beetle make it to the Nationals? I was too busy working most of the day to have a wander through the show.
Membersilver
Veteran Volks Folk
Dangerous when poked

Threads: 162

Mood: In 2 Minds

posted on June 1st, 2009 at 06:18 PM

Wagons are for farmers:rolleyes:

Keeping it real !
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on June 1st, 2009 at 06:49 PM

You'd be the fastest farmer around...

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
MemberOvalGlen
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 46

Mood: Change

posted on October 2nd, 2009 at 08:18 PM

Wes , interesting how you interpreted this statement
Quote "
The electric car we built and drive daily to and from work uses 42 amp hour sealed lead acid batteries or commonly called maintenance free batteries. We run 12 of them wired in series which makes the battery pack 144 volts. 42 amps multiplied by the 144 volts gives you 6048 watts of power. This is easier said as 6.048kwh. For this we travel 35 - 38klm on a single charge.
"
That reads to me as a description of the Batteries and the available power to supply to the motor.
- Surely you dont drive your Car at Full throttle to and from work each day :blush:
-
You know that an electric car only uses high current to accelerate the vehicle.... then as would be typical on most daily commutes it would be almost coasting, to then slow down for the next traffic lights.....
Where it sits " not using any energy " because it doesnt have to idle.
-
Think about it , you will realize that what Mike stated as Measured is correct. Yes there may be an error in the Kw Hours , so it may be 0.825 Kwh to recharge.
-
Mike asked me to investigate the possibility of regenerative
braking on his car and if you are reading this Mike - I have
spoken to a College Professor [ well teacher actually :) ]
and he said he has a system to do it.
So that will mean less recharge even :)
Glenn.

Regards,Glenn>
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on October 2nd, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Glenn,

Your being confused by the units. 6.048kWh's isn't power, it's energy. 1kWh = 1kJ/s*h = 3600kJ's. Those batteries contain 3600x6.048 = 21773kJ's of energy. Whether you draw it out slowly and make it last longer (part throttle) or draw it out fast and use it all quickly (full throttle) has little to do with how far you go.

If you charge it with 0.825kWh of energy, that is 2970kJ of energy. The energy going in to recharge (2970kJ) is a lot less than the energy you get out (21773kJ) therefore there is something wrong. Those figures don't match up.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on October 2nd, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Here's another calc in J's.

Assume a petrol car uses 6L/100km and travels for 38km. It uses 2.28L of fuel.

Fuel has an energy content of around 32000kJ/L. Therefore to travel the 38km, 72960kJ of energy is used as the fuel is burned. Unfortunately in a combustion engine only about 30% of that energy goes into useful work (the rest into heat etc). Therefore 21888kJ of energy from the fuel went into moving the car the 38km.

This is very similar to the capacity of the batteries above. The car should take the same amount of energy to move independant of what type of engine it has.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
Memberpolak
A.k.a.: Adam Pawlowski
Fahrvergnugen
Everything is alright with enough Vodka :P

Threads: 49

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: definitely

posted on October 6th, 2009 at 04:02 PM

been in it, driven it, looked at it, seen it run the 1/8th mile and everything in between..... reliable as hell, and super efficient..... i love that car and want to build one of my own...... i personally have always been against electric cars but this thing makes it cool!!! only disadvantage is the cost of building it and then there are the batteries if u use it alot...... u can save some money with standard lead-acid, but if u want long running times, better performance and longer life expectancy u need to go lithium...... i think mike might be switching his batteries soon too... so will be interesting to see how he goes

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx243/polak_raw_auto_werks/untitled.jpg

VW - helping put oil back into the ground for over 60 years
 Pages:  1  ..  3  4  5

Go To Top