Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 17823 | Total Replies: 237 | Thread Id: 91318 ]
 Pages:  1  ..  5  6  7  8
Author: Subject:  Kustom 1302 S BUG - SLIPPING CLUTCH - Engine back out, pics now up!
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on March 24th, 2013 at 06:48 PM

You will probably need to re adjust your clutch cable now that you have another motor in.

MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 173

posted on March 24th, 2013 at 06:53 PM

Okay, so i should be able to fix this without taking the engine back out? :)

From Dylan
Memberhellbugged
A.k.a.: Daimo Pell
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

Threads: 116

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Couldn't care less

posted on March 24th, 2013 at 07:37 PM

Yes adjust the wing nut
MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 08:22 AM

I Adjusted the wing nut just now and made no difference at all to this problem that is happening.

The car feels like it has no torque at all and goes very slow even when foot flat to the floor and motor reving hard.

Could this be in the diff/trans axle?? Or is it defiantly the clutch? I'm dreading having to pull the engine out again :///

From Dylan
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 08:51 AM

SOunds like clutch on the new motor is rooted
MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 09:10 AM

Arhh Well... Out Comes the engine the engine once again :grind:
ill be back on here for the next update when engines out.

Good bye till then everybody.

From Dylan
MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 11:18 AM

So The engines back out again and both clutch assemblys are off from my old engine and the new one and the new engines clutch is alot better then the older one, the pressure plate?? the big metal outer assembly bit is slightly different in very minor ways but the shape and size is exactly the same so i dont think that could be the problem, the disc on the new engine is a SACHs and has alot more meat on it then the old engines disc.

im not sure what to do now, so can anyone tell me what i should check? there seems to be a bit of play in the thrust bearing arm and springs but i dont see how it could be causing the problem i have.

Please anyone help cause all my manuals and workshop manuals and other info i have isnt helping, it's a very strange kinda problem as everything seems in good working order.

From Dylan
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 559

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Hi Dylan

Where the thrust race touches the pressure plate there should be a series of fingers, they should all be the same height, when the diaphragm fails some sit a bit lower.

Use the clutch plate with the most meat.

While the motor is out make sure the clutch cable thread is well lubed so the wing nut is easy to move.

I came to thread late but you may not of had enough freeplay, that's like driving around with your foot halfway down on the clutch pedal.

Steve
MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Steve,

Understand what you mean by pedal half down, but adjusting it didnt seem to do much at all, but i will put everything back in and back together now and see how things go.

I highly doubt it's the engine, i thorght it could be gearbox, but how cirtain are people that it's the clutch cause the clutch was seeming to be all the way out and then all the way in when pushing pedal in? it feels like driving with the handbrake on but not even that cause it doesnt feel like it pulls it doesnt feel like it has any pull power at all in it. Im really confused of why it's doing this and what could fix it.

From Dylan
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Hi Dylan

When replacing a motor or clutch you should always back off the clutch cable.

Have a read about proper adjustment procedure here http://www.vw-resource.com/clch-adj.html 

Steve
MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 01:06 PM

Thanks Steve,

I Have now got a meaty SACHs Disc and SACHs Pressure plate on it, it the new motor had a lux lem somthing somthing pressure plate on it and i have been told by a few vw mechanics they are known to be shit and slip even from factory brand new ones.

I Am now about to re-install the motor and then adjust the cable.

Hoping for the best.

From Dylan
MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 04:28 PM

So i pulled out the motor and replaced the clutch assembly and put the engine all back together and in the car and test drove it only to find it no better then yesterday...

Im really getting sick of this and wondering why i am having soo much bad luck with my dub.
I think ill have to give up on it cause i cant get it right, it's one thing after another and all im doing is wasting ridiculous amounts of money.

:td:
MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 04:32 PM

Just realised the same thing myself Dylan, hence why I have bought a new car and am stripping Zelda to sell parts off of her.

The sold one, '73 VW 1303 - Zelda
The project, '74 VW 1303 - Gretl
MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 05:02 PM

Awh really? It's very sad that complications have to get in the way of a passion for vw's

From Dylan
Memberhellbugged
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 05:11 PM

You still phone number Dylan ?
MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 05:12 PM

I Have no service where i am at the moment up in the bush

Im Contactable on 0434631449 when im in service.
Memberhellbugged
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 05:19 PM

Okay

So you sure you haven't created a miss match between pressure plate and thrust bearing types?

Did you torque the pressure plate bolts correctly with a tension wrench?

If you take the wing nut off the cable completely is there free play on the arm at all?
MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 05:39 PM

I Got rid of the lux lem bla bla pressure plate that came on the new engine and put the old presure plate on that i had on the old engine working fine before it blew. the seems to be some play in the arm and it seems to be replaced from a older model as it has the circlip / u clip on the end of the rod instead of an adjusted bolt at the bottom. Im thinking possibly flywheel? as thats the only thing thats different now from before.

From Dylan
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on March 25th, 2013 at 05:50 PM

Hi Dylan

We need to see some photos of what you have, I think Damien is on the right track you may have a miss match in parts
Memberhrastovica
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 43

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Cruisin

posted on March 26th, 2013 at 01:19 AM

Hey Dylan...

Mate this isnt gonna help you fix your car, but i'd like to tell you a story about bad luck with a dub when I was younger (I hope it inspires you to keep going).

Ok so fell in love with bugs at 14 and for the best part of 6 years, collected every vw magazine conceivable to man, and dreamed about one day buying the perfect beetle. It wasnt however until i was 20 that i could actually afford to go and buy my own car (actually back in those days it was enough to know a bank manager, who gave me a loan).

Anyway, for weeks i tried different cars... until I found a "gorgeous" 1970 Turquoise Cal Look beetle.... real head turner. Cal look, single piece door windows, empi wheels, two tone velour interior, saas seats, big exhaust, great car. Long story short, after 6 years of waiting, my car caught fire only 8 days after i bought it... NO INSURANCE!! A 5c coin fell into the cigarette lighter (which was installed in the glovebox), overheated the wire (the fuse didnt burn as i changed it the night before on the advice of a service station attendant who told me "it'll be alright"). Thanks mate!! I was DEVASTATED!

Devastated (and now broke and in debt) I gave up on the car, 6 months later got the car back on the road, took the car for service to a VW mechanic (who by the way is no longer in business). His mech who wasnt experienced working with twin Kadrons, sucked a bunch of carby parts into the engine (the engine worked for a few days, and siezed up). Best part.... he charged me for it. Now i had no engine, dodgy wiring, no velour and no paint (I did have nice wheels which sort of makes my bug one of the first rat-lookers haha)

So the car was off the road for another 6 months until i got the money for an engine. I drove that car for another 5 years and loved it, it broke down one day (vapor lock) so I sold it for a measly $700 to "just get rid of it". Biggest regret ever. 10 years later (just over a week ago), i went out and bought a little bug, which i am now slowly fixing. They do cost money to own (lets be real, they are 40+ years old), but i think its worth holding onto it if you really love the car.

Anyway, I know what it means to have bad luck with a bug, i just hope you dont give up something you love when you are so close to the finish line.

Cheers Mate.
MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 26th, 2013 at 06:45 AM

Cheers mate for your inspiration, It surely is a story i can relate to, i don't want to give up on it but i have my licence and am trying to start a new life for myself and fresh start and get a career and this car keeps holding me back because everything i do to it causes another problem, and now i am at the stage where it could be the fly wheel but i have been told i cant just buy a new flywheel and bolt it on, that there's a lot of checking and stuff you have to do something to do with the shims or something behind the flywheel.

If anyone can sell me a new flywheel and anyone could give me a hand to change them over and my problems were fixed.. id be over the moon.

From Dylan
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on March 26th, 2013 at 08:06 AM

Hi Dylan

You cant just keep throwing parts at it without proper diagnoses of the issue.

The flywheel wont make it slip unless its been horribly mistreated or machined incorrectly.

Take photos of what you have and upload them, I think as Damien said you may have mismatch of parts.

We can help you online I hope, but this problem seems to be beyond your abilities so you may need to pay a VW mechanic to sort it properly for you.

Steve
MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 26th, 2013 at 03:34 PM

I Can't upload pics at the moment, i have talked to many vw mechanics about this and they have all said that i have not mis-matched parts and all parts are all correct for my car/gearbox and motor.

i have adjusted the clutch cable many times, and swaped different clutch assemblys, last try will be to swap the flywheel and if that doesnt fix it then tis is all too weird.

From Dylan
MemberSuperOwen
Fahrvergnugen

No Avatar

Threads: 67

posted on March 26th, 2013 at 08:09 PM

How are you adjusting the clutch? This shouldn't be this complicated, it seems like your making some sort of silly mistake, happens to the best of us! Take a breather and try take some photos to upload before throwing more time and money at the car.
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on March 26th, 2013 at 09:44 PM

DONT SWAP FLYWHEELS, just measure the depth from where the pressure plate bolts on to, down to the clutch face surface of both the flywheels. Don't create work for yourself, just slow down and look at things logically.

MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 27th, 2013 at 07:55 AM

Well to Do that I'm going to have to take the engine back out again and then put it back in again after.

Does anyone know of a VW Mechanic i could pay to fix this for me, It's Getting all too much for me and im sick of pulling engines in and out and getting nowhere.

From Dylan
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on March 27th, 2013 at 03:45 PM

Dylan it is most likely the pressure plate /thrust bearing combination,Craig is right it is very ,very unlikely that it is the flywheel as it just sits there doing nothing basically. Some pressure plates have a thrust pad which suits the swing axle box and if the wrong one is fitted it will give you the problems that you are having or the diaphragm is cracked in the plate that you have. Where are you at the moment?
Cheers Les
MemberVDU.88A
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 81

posted on March 27th, 2013 at 07:55 PM

Check your pressure plates. these are the 2 different types in most vw. I think what you have done is fitted the one with the ring (green arrow) to your car when you had the other style.In doing this you have caused the clutch to be partially dissengaged so when you have been driving and reving it you have caused the flywheel to become glazed possibly damaged drive plate and maybe pressure plate surface once you do this your never going to get it to grip as all surfaces are now shiny. You can try a bit of wet and dry and de glaze the faces scuff them up real good it may work but your best option is take your flywheel off take it to a gearbox/clutch place and get them to machine it also have them look at pressure plate for damage.

As previously mentioned it is probably a mis match of parts which has caused this problem and pictures will help us figure out what is going on. Look at the pics below and see which clutches you have.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l222/vdu88a/avdb.jpg
MemberDylanTheDubber
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on March 28th, 2013 at 06:30 AM

Guys, Thank you, but im 150% sure that both presure plates are the one the same as the pressure plate on the right of the picsture it's deffinatly not the one with the ring in the middle.

From Dylan
Memberhellbugged
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

posted on March 28th, 2013 at 08:25 AM

So what type of thrust bearing do you have?

Free floating or with the guide tube fixed to the bellhousing with the 3 bolts?
 Pages:  1  ..  5  6  7  8

Go To Top