Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 9469 | Total Replies: 90 | Thread Id: 101815 ]
 Pages:  1  2  3  4
Author: Subject:  Can a family stay sane in a kamper?
MemberDubbyDo
A.k.a.: Dave
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 45

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: need more compreshunn!

posted on August 16th, 2013 at 11:01 PM

JTKombi, that looks the ducks nuts, that's the sort of thing we will be looking for, love it.
Dmbvw, how did you go passing a B Double like that on the highway coming the other way? :rolleyes:
MemberDubbyDo

posted on August 19th, 2013 at 05:39 PM

What has everyone done in terms of storage for their longer trips? . We are looking at getting an enclosed 7x4 trailer to carry the bikes, larger items and be a kitchen in the rear. Would love to hear how others have set theirs up
MemberOZ Towdster
A.k.a.: Andrew Westwood
Custom Title Time!
Keen to finish some projects

Threads: 132

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Having fun in our great land

posted on August 19th, 2013 at 07:01 PM

Just keep in mind that if your keen to do this in a semi stock bay then think minimal minimal minimal as they are not the most powerfull of things and the type 4 will not be very happy towing a trailer especially in that time of the year with 40 plus ambient temps which will be in to the 120 deg C oil temps which with long hours of it , you could find your self on the side of the road , which to put it blankly could be a disaster at best .
Don't take this the wrong way , i'mm not trying to talk you out of the adventure as it will heeps of fun ( hell i'mm about to drive a Dune Buggy accross America ), just loose the trailer , you'll be suprised as to where you can store gear .
As for your Kitchen , if the bus dosn't have a kitchen already , even then i'ts probaley past it , for my baja bus i'mm planning on a big draw that pulls out when the sliding door is open with a simple fold down leg on the outer end to support it when out , all of which will work in fine with your younger kids that don't need any leg room yet .
Anyway just my thoughts for tonight

Andrew

Don't let body work get in the way of real suspension travel
MemberDubbyDo

posted on August 19th, 2013 at 07:17 PM

Thanks Andrew, the whole slide out kitchen idea is worth looking at. While the thought of towing a trailer is not the best I don't see how we can get around it with the things we will need to take due to the length of the proposed trip. Keeping it as light as possible, fitting an oil cooler and temp gauge will be high on the list of priorities regardless of whether we end up with a trailer or not, also the plan now is to do 6 months in Tassie over new year to the start of Feb then back to the in laws to work through our experience and ditch/add gear as needed, then at the start of March slowly make our way north for the winter.
And I think if the days start getting to hot we won't be going far anyway, maybe a bit of night time travelling, it will be good not locked into a timetable for the first time in our lives:)
Memberdmbvw
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 31

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: sigh

posted on August 19th, 2013 at 09:15 PM

Definitely don't have a timetable, you don't need one and it is great to just go day by day. You don't need heaps of gear for longer trips as you just use the same stuff over and over. You can buy the everyday consumables as you go. We took the trailer mostly as accommodation for a family of 5 but are thinking how we can do without it next time. If you can all sleep in the bus, with 2 littlies and a poptop it should be easy, then really try not to take a trailer. They tell me that it is better to cross the Nullarbor from west to east, and try not to be in the top end in the summer months, we were up there in June-July and the weather was magnificent.

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/banner/avdbanner26.gif
MemberDubbyDo

posted on August 19th, 2013 at 09:24 PM

West to east is the plan ( if we make it that far) at the very end of winter/ spring( is that even a season in oz???).
One of the reasons we want to get out of here is because of the summer months, build ups just plain suck now
MemberDubbyDo

posted on August 19th, 2013 at 09:28 PM

Also dmbvw, tried looking up on the map where upper lower mid north coast is, is it anywhere near the western edge of east central Australia?:smilegrin:
Memberdmbvw
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 31

Mood: sigh

posted on August 19th, 2013 at 09:35 PM

Sorry, forgot you were already up that way, they told us all about the build up, doesn't sound pleasant. Your timing seems spot on from what I can tell, haven't been over west yet though.
It is more like the northern part of the southern zone of the western sector of the eastern area of the central district of the coastal fringe. Cheers.

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/banner/avdbanner26.gif
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on August 19th, 2013 at 09:43 PM

Sounds like you guys are right in the middle of the northern southeastern westside of nowhere

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
Membergrinderman

Threads: 50

posted on August 19th, 2013 at 09:43 PM

Hi Dave, your trip sounds fantastic and will be something your family will remember forever (well........maybe not the kids). Back in 2000 myself, my wife, 3 kids and 2 dogs made a trip from south west victoria to north queensland in our 1970 dual cab kombi. We had a canvas covered 2 section steel mesh cage on the back with all our belongings. The advantage of the dual cab was that we could load up all our gear in the back section and not have to fill the cabin. We put plastic water tanks and spares under the back seat and a few crates under the kids feet (ideal for young ones). We found the simpler the set up the better with 15 -20 minutes being the average time to set up camp with all of us sharing a two room tent and a simple fold out table, small portable barbeque and a 2 burner stove. A quality esky is essential although 12 volt fridges have come down in price but you will need an extra battery etc. If you are taking a trailer make it a light one and put light truck tyres on everything! I found the more you put on the roof the worse your fuel consumption will be, I was losing about 50km per tank with a toolbox mounted to a front roofrack so streamlined is the go. For christsake dont even mention air matresses unless you like sleepness nights.
Last bit of advice is my right arm thermostat. As we all know the natural position for your arm in a non airconditioned vehicle is on the top of the door with window down and my respect for the temperature sensitive air cooled engine means that the hotter my forearm feels.......the slower I drive. Found this out the hardway with a cracked case after a high speed run up to karumba in the gulf country. Admittedly my speedo was dodgy so I was unaware of my 120kph in 35c temp until a guy following me in a cruiser asked me at a servo "is that thing hotted up? cos your flyin". Turns out my bus was 'hotted up' alright .........in a bad way! So take your time.
MemberDubbyDo

posted on August 20th, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by matberry
Sounds like you guys are right in the middle of the northern southeastern westside of nowhere

Actually we are just North of down South:cool:
MemberDubbyDo

posted on August 20th, 2013 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grinderman
Hi Dave, your trip sounds fantastic and will be something your family will remember forever (well........maybe not the kids). Back in 2000 myself, my wife, 3 kids and 2 dogs made a trip from south west victoria to north queensland in our 1970 dual cab kombi. We had a canvas covered 2 section steel mesh cage on the back with all our belongings. The advantage of the dual cab was that we could load up all our gear in the back section and not have to fill the cabin. We put plastic water tanks and spares under the back seat and a few crates under the kids feet (ideal for young ones). We found the simpler the set up the better with 15 -20 minutes being the average time to set up camp with all of us sharing a two room tent and a simple fold out table, small portable barbeque and a 2 burner stove. A quality esky is essential although 12 volt fridges have come down in price but you will need an extra battery etc. If you are taking a trailer make it a light one and put light truck tyres on everything! I found the more you put on the roof the worse your fuel consumption will be, I was losing about 50km per tank with a toolbox mounted to a front roofrack so streamlined is the go. For christsake dont even mention air matresses unless you like sleepness nights.
Last bit of advice is my right arm thermostat. As we all know the natural position for your arm in a non airconditioned vehicle is on the top of the door with window down and my respect for the temperature sensitive air cooled engine means that the hotter my forearm feels.......the slower I drive. Found this out the hardway with a cracked case after a high speed run up to karumba in the gulf country. Admittedly my speedo was dodgy so I was unaware of my 120kph in 35c temp until a guy following me in a cruiser asked me at a servo "is that thing hotted up? cos your flyin". Turns out my bus was 'hotted up' alright .........in a bad way! So take your time.

Thanks dude, more good info. Taking our time is what this trip is all about, hoping to break the whole thing up into small stages, driving at night in hot remote areas, that sort of stuff. Cheers again
Membergrinderman

posted on August 20th, 2013 at 08:46 PM

I have just done 1600km in the last 2 days in western queensland (where i am working at the moment). Coming back to Charleville from Cunnamulla we got smashed by a big roo down the side of my work van and it was only 5.30 in the arvo, so I wouldn't recommend any night driving. If your bus is in healthy condition and you fit an extra oil cooler then you will be fine, just keep it under 90kph on the hot days.
MemberDubbyDo

posted on August 21st, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Dawn and dusk is definitely the worst time for wildlife. Gettin used to real kangaroos again and not little wallabies will take a bit of time. Shit getting the kids to swim in a creek again without worrying about crocs is going to take forever.....
MemberDubbyDo

posted on September 11th, 2013 at 06:51 PM

The excitement is building, flying to Sydney next week to look at a potential purchase with a back up to look at in Cairns on the way home. Have really missed driving the Beetle while its engine has been getting rebuilt, will be great to have one in the shed getting overhauled and one to drive.
MemberDubbyDo

posted on September 14th, 2013 at 05:12 PM

What's the deal with fitting an external cooler to a 2L in me of these, do they need drilling and tapping for full flow like a type 1?
Membergrinderman

posted on September 14th, 2013 at 08:04 PM

I think you can get an adaptor that fits between the case and the factory screw on filter with an outlet for a cooler and a return fitting all in the one.
MemberDubbyDo

posted on September 15th, 2013 at 12:17 AM

That'll be Gold if that's the case:tu:
Have bought a 74 model, fly down to Sydney on Wednesday to pick it up and drive it back to northern rivers to sit in the shed till we leave here in a couple of months.
The whole family's so excited it hurts!!!
This thread could turn into a "don't do this when travelling in a Kombi blog", I can't wait to see where it goes.......
MemberDubbyDo

posted on September 15th, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Pics to come, surely someone on here will know it, hopin I haven't bought a dud
Memberkarmann141
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 47

posted on September 15th, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Hi Dave,
Just stumbled across your thread - trip sounds excellent. I can highly recommend a trailer but then I do have a Subaru engine. I haven't towed it with the VW engine.
You can only fit so much in a Bay Camper and I must admit I hate having loose items on the floor or anywhere.
My half Beetle trailer fits all the extras - table and chairs, annex, poles bicycles,skateboards, fishing rods, surf boards, xtra water, fuel and 3Kva generator - nice to have 240V power in some isolated areas. Dual battery setup is a must have to run your fridge overnight.
Met a couple in Agnes Water on our last trip who were on the last leg of a round Aus trip in a dual cab ute (no trailer) with 3 primary school aged kids - they had a minimalist rule - every thing they took had to have 3 uses. A cup was also the cereal bowl and used for all drinks. Thought that was a pretty good philosophy for travelling light.
Have a great adventure, I'm envious.

1961 K Ghia - Porsche 5 sp, EJ20T, Brembo's, Dble A arm susp
1974 L Bug - Porsche 944 brakes, Boxster 16's
1974 Bay Camper - EJ20, twin radiators, Boxster 16x7's
Half Beetle trailer with Boxster 16x7's
2011 Tiguan TDI 4Motion
2010 LR Discovery 4 TDV
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

posted on September 16th, 2013 at 07:47 AM

Hey Dave, congrats on the purchase.

For the cooler, I have a few second hand sandwich plates here if your interested, feel free to call as there are a few pros and cons regarding thier installation.

MemberDubbyDo

posted on September 23rd, 2013 at 12:58 PM
So now we own a Kombi

Let the fun begin, which it did starting with a 17 hour drive to get from Sydney to Lismore @##$#$%!! No tools till I found a Supercheap in Kempsey. Found the mechanical advance was sticky, removed dizzy cleaned and refitted, all sorted.
The 2L that is fitted was rebuilt 2 years ago but once you put it in 4th feels like an asthmatic 90 year old sloth would have more go!! Will give it a major tuneup when I get back down in December but have to say I thought being a 2L it would be able to maintain speed on a slight hill.
Apart from these teething problems once you get behind the wheel you cant help but feel good! love it.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
MemberScottkombi

Threads: 11

Mood: Sick of Work

posted on September 23rd, 2013 at 09:57 PM

Think I saw this on Gumtree a while back - looks impressive with the raised stance - would be useful in the NT no doubt - should make for a great touring wagon once the donk is sorted.

You are right a 2 should climb a hill no worries.

First chance you get rip out that 009 and toss it in the bin then get the right vac advance dizzy to match your carbs.

Happy travels.

88 Caravelle Syncro Camper
89 Caravelle GL microbus - 5 speed
69 Microbus
05 Mk5 Golf 1.9 TDi DSG
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

posted on September 23rd, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Good news Dave, x 2 on the advice above too

MemberDubbyDo

posted on September 24th, 2013 at 07:22 PM

Has the stock dizzy fitted, looks exactly the same as my 1600tp one. Has vac advance fitted, it was when I checked the timing and noticed the mark jumping about that I thought about pulling the distributor and checking it. Found the diaphragm was all good but holding the shaft and moving the rotor showed that it was sticky, stopped in a different place and sometimes didn't return at all. Good clean out and it was like a new car. Still feels gutless once you get it in 4th. Will see how it s after a full tune up, plugs, points, valve clearances check carbs etc.
Lovin the fact that if you do break down chances are very good at you will have it going again in short order, no Tech 2, or Intelligent Tester in sight:tu:
MemberDubbyDo

posted on September 24th, 2013 at 07:26 PM

On another note, first breakdown about 18 km to the Newcastle turn off ( points), a feller turned up to see if I needed help (NRMA was already bringing a new set of points), didn't get his name but he said he was an ex Volksy mechanic and had owned heaps, though no late Bays.
Don't know if he's on this forum but if he is, Thanks mate
MemberDubbyDo

posted on September 30th, 2013 at 05:06 PM

Next question, what's the go with bedding up the top? I have the slats to make the bed area, is there a place they are meant to live with the top unpopped? What do people use for a mattress and where do they put it when on the move?
My wife being the organizer needs to know all this stuff in advance (probably because she is the sensible one )
Memberkarmann141
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 47

posted on September 30th, 2013 at 07:01 PM

The slats should just fold back and stack if still covered in the original headliner material - should fit neatly under the closed roof. The mattress bases are stored behind the back seat and take up allot of storage room - another reason for a trailer.

Error

Error

1961 K Ghia - Porsche 5 sp, EJ20T, Brembo's, Dble A arm susp
1974 L Bug - Porsche 944 brakes, Boxster 16's
1974 Bay Camper - EJ20, twin radiators, Boxster 16x7's
Half Beetle trailer with Boxster 16x7's
2011 Tiguan TDI 4Motion
2010 LR Discovery 4 TDV
MemberDubbyDo

posted on September 30th, 2013 at 09:14 PM

Thanks Karmann141, just need to get some mattresses made up and the rock and roll bed frame covered, can anyone recommend somewhere in the North Coast area (NSW)
MemberDubbyDo

posted on November 18th, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Beetle went on the barge last weekend, only 2 weeks of work left before the adventure starts. I want to drop it down a bit, even as low as standard because it sure catches the wind the way it is. I had a quick sticky under the front before I flew back up here and didn't see any adjusters on the beam, are there raised spindles or do they get flipped?
 Pages:  1  2  3  4

Go To Top