[ Total Views: 1493 | Total Replies: 8 | Thread Id: 102156 ]
Author: Subject:  Rust repair advise?
MemberKent
Casual Dubber

Threads: 13

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on May 25th, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Rust repair advise?

as I pulled out my roofling I discovered some rust that I would like to get repaired, I will attach some photos of the rust, but if anyone could give me tips or idea on what I should do.
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a free shell to cut out what ever I need, but I have no idea how much to cut etc.
if anyone could give me tips or advice that would be much appreciated, cheers in advance.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error

Error

Error
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

posted on May 25th, 2013 at 12:05 PM

That is the smallest pic I have ever seen, and I can't tell what area of the car it is. Generally with rust repairs, to find out how big a hole you need to cut, you should hit it with a wire wheel on an angle grinder and get it back to clean shiny metal. Usually you will find more holes in the near vicinity. Then, you just need a section large enough to cover all the holes. If possible, I would let the person doing the welding cut the patches out of the donor shell. If that's not convenient, just make sure you cut the patch nice and big! It can always be trimmed later.

MemberKent
Casual Dubber

posted on May 25th, 2013 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by waveman1500
That is the smallest pic I have ever seen, and I can't tell what area of the car it is. Generally with rust repairs, to find out how big a hole you need to cut, you should hit it with a wire wheel on an angle grinder and get it back to clean shiny metal. Usually you will find more holes in the near vicinity. Then, you just need a section large enough to cover all the holes. If possible, I would let the person doing the welding cut the patches out of the donor shell. If that's not convenient, just make sure you cut the patch nice and big! It can always be trimmed later.

Sorry about the small picture, theres a better picture, I will go and smash it with the wire wheel right now haha
Memberbaja_01
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 35

Theme: XMBX Pro Green

posted on May 25th, 2013 at 04:48 PM

Area is just above the wheel arch. Is that black area a previous repair? May pay to check out whats lurking behind it? Put in one larger panel for the whole area............
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on May 25th, 2013 at 04:51 PM

It is a pretty simple repair area. It can take a bit of time to do right thought. Being inside under trim, it does not have a critical requirement to be a perfect shape. No bog will be needed. The important part is to look through the hole once the rusted area has been cut out, and you will be able to see the inside of the outside panel. If it has any rust at all, you will need to replace it if it has rusted through, or clean and treat it if it is just scabby and scaly.

Cars rust from the inside out.

Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on May 25th, 2013 at 05:09 PM

strange place to rust??

I would be trying to find out why??

Futue te ipsum!!!
Super Administrator

Rank Avatar

posted on May 25th, 2013 at 05:12 PM

That would be where the expanda foam was put from factory, and that stuff causes rust very badly

MemberKent
Casual Dubber

posted on May 26th, 2013 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by helbus
That would be where the expanda foam was put from factory, and that stuff causes rust very badly

Yes helbus you are spot on, I have been picking out as much as I can because there is still some in there, not a lot though, should I be replacing it with anything ?

I have put rust converter on everything possible in that hole, and I got the opportunity to cut the panels out of an old shell. and then ill tak weld them on tomorrow once I finish treating the rust.
cheers
Super Administrator

Rank Avatar

posted on May 26th, 2013 at 08:20 PM

The foam absorbs moisture and rusts from the inside out.

The foam was a way to stop some of the engine noise from travelling up the rear pillar cavity and into the roof cavity above the headlining. By sealing the main body interior cavity from the engine bay cavity, it suppressed the noise and some oil and or petrol smells. It also allowed the main body interior cavity to be sealed so that the flow through ventilation system could operate better. The crescent moon shaped vent is an outlet due to low pressure on the outside of the vent. This would allow the fresh air from the front vents to flow in better as they were high pressure. Commonly called flow through ventilation.

So if you remove it you make your Beetle air flow inside behave like a 60's Beetle. No big deal now, but in the 70's it was important to compete on sales with small Japanese model cars.

If you are really concerned, you can get a sealed 'pillow' of foam in a Glad zip bag or two and stuff them up inside the cavity after treating and sealing the rust. However be careful that the pillow cannot slip down and get onto the engine and cause problems

Go To Top