Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 25538 | Total Replies: 315 | Thread Id: 102601 ]
 Pages:  1  ..  8  9  10  11
Author: Subject:  Nate's Manxter Build Ej22/Subarugears Upgrade
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 41

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: Dying to get more buggy building time..

posted on September 5th, 2016 at 07:22 PM

So I went out today and bought a liberty with a EJ22 in it with 180k on the clock.
It still has rego till January so I can drive it around for a bit to make sure it is all behaving. Unfortunately I got a front wheel drive model so ill just have to get Mr Subarugears to do one for me!
One less thing on the to-do list!
Thinking of all the options now, to try and get a plan happening.
Subarugears box- Todd recommends 4.1:1 diff with my 29" tyres. Am seriously considering a Subaru Torsen diff option as well. Opinions?

Fuel system- MMA Long range tank with factory Subaru pump lines running along the side intrusion bars to do away with putting more crap in the tunnel.

Exhaust- Not sure hoping someone makes a nice off the shelf stainless item otherwise I will.

Sump- Whoever does the shortened but same capacity ones

Wiring- will probably shorten the myself to maximise wire length. Will be trying to mount the ECU relays etc in the space behind the rear seats, too crowded up the front now. Can be convinced otherwise!

Cooling- Not a fan of wings but don't mind the location, might try to save the Manxter's boot/airbox cover assembly and make my own shroud with possibly using the stock radiator if suitable.

Rear cage- this must stay as the buggy is my only tow vehicle for the bikes so if the experts can let me know how Todd's rear gearbox/engine mount fits in with the Manxter's rear cage/tow point/frame horn stiffeners please chime in.

Feel free to let me know what I have forgotten/suggestions.
Cheers, Nate

It will all be OK in the end, if it's not OK it's not the end!
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on September 8th, 2016 at 09:44 PM

I have been doing a pot load of research online and in my head at night... welcome back sleepless nights!
I think I can rework the stock exhaust for the mean time to be legal etc for certifying and hopefully get Brad or Pauls S/s system on there afterwards.
The front gearbox mount will be one of the Subarugears ones, but the rear gearbox mount from them will need a massive amount of surgery to fit in with the Manxter's cage.
Not sure if it is worth buying one to hack up or using the coin to make one. Todd might cry if he sees what I do to one of his pretty mounts! :oops:
Basically the rear cages lower arms run straight into where the brackets for the engine mount rest.
I am still very unsure of where to put the radiator, there is a awesome spot for it up behind the front bar, but running the pipes will be a hassle and i'll need to put in a few bleed points. If I go this way i will be putting a header tank up high in the engine bay to make it a little easier. But it will keep some nice cool air for the intake system.
I would of liked to do some side mounts but I think these will work much better with pods I don't want to run. If I ran some vertically just infront of the side steps support bar I think they would be way to narrow to work. And i'd also need to protect them from the crap slinging of the rear tyres and possible put scoops on the front side to pick up air.
Maybe I should stop my procrastinating and poofsooks and wait until the motor and box is in to do a mock up! :roll:
I think I will modify and shorten the loom myself just so I know what is in it.
I will be doing the timing belt/pump/tensioner as a precaution and will probably throw a clutch at it too. I'm going to try something different this year and see if I don't have to pull the motor three times in a year..
Yes maybe I am still a little bitter at only getting 48k out of the VW motor! :grind:

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on September 21st, 2016 at 12:09 PM

So starting to get my head around everything I need for the conversion now.
I have ordered my gearbox and mounts off Todd at Subarugears. Very excited to get that in my hot little hands!
Also ordered a long range alloy fuel tank and the axles, reversed manifold and shortened sump from Paul at Down South Motorsports. I am thinking I will pull the Vw motor and box soon and start chopping for the gearbox, not sure If I will need to clearance the body for it yet, as I have a two inch lift already??
I might start mocking up the front mount radiator and the lines to the rear of the car while I still have a car to drive around (donor liberty) will look ridiculous dragging around 3-4m of alloy pipe hanging off the back of the road bike!
I can also fit the alloy tank and run the hard lines for fuel.
I think I have some out of the box thinking to get the Subarugears engine mount working around the cage assembly. Will have a better idea when I start mocking up. Might try and pick up a bare block for mock up.

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on October 7th, 2016 at 06:01 PM

Got a big f@#ker of a box from Paul at Steelart the master fabricator this week, full of awesome buggy goodies,
Shortened sump -a lot of hours tigging in that! Reversed manifold, correct axles for the Subarugears box, a super sexy alloy fuel tank about 55L worth, which as I got 480 k's out of 40L in the donor should make for a awesome range now.
Also got my Exedy clutch kit, Timing belt/water pump/tensioner kit and a genuine subaru slave to match the box.
Toddy said he'd drop the box off personally which is awesome and I might con him into throwing it in for a beer or two.. :D
Not long now and I can get cracking on it all and start driving my bloody car again!
I also found a cool formula online for roughly calculating sufficient radiator size and the one I have mocked up in my head (honda civic 91-00) (350x350) should fit the bill nicely.
I plan to shroud the back of it to pull out the hot air and maybe even put a scoop or the like at the bottom if room allows. My mate has a second hand MX5 one which I can dummy up as well to see if it'll fit, but i think the outlets are on the wrong side for that one.
Try and get some pics up this weekend.

MemberPAZZAN
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 113

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on October 7th, 2016 at 09:32 PM

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/part-type/radiators?SortBy=Default&am...
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on October 9th, 2016 at 08:10 AM

Cheers mate, that is a dangerous site!

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on October 16th, 2016 at 03:44 PM

Started pulling out the old vw box and cv's in preperation for the new axles I thought I needed, turns out the ones I received were wrong, but i already have the right length installed, according to Todds subarugears page! Had to have a win sometime hey?? Also cleaned and painted the shortened sump, and found my type 3 wagon torsion bars that I never got around to fitting to the old bug thankfully.
Might have the box sold to a guy who has a Baja so it'd be good to get some cash flow coming in for a change!
Anyways pics cause I know everybody likes them!

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on October 16th, 2016 at 03:46 PM

Anyone else have a Subarugears and Ej22 shaped hole in their buggy??
Luckily I have this now! Massive thanks to Todd for dropping it off personally and having a chat about it all, my seem like brown nosing but I don't care, the dude had a brilliant idea then the balls to pull it off... pardon the pun!
My buggy and I thank you!
I also got this for the front end so it wouldn't feel left out..

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on October 16th, 2016 at 03:52 PM

On a side note there is no way the box will fit with the 'vw' style rear frame horn support and I am going to have to re-make the lot of it... :rolleyes: I guess the best way forward there will be to mount the box first with Todd's engine mount and then make everything else around it. Should have a plan by next weekend.

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on October 22nd, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Ok so I am a dips#!t and can't measure for s#!t... my million dollar honda civic radiator wont fit the hole I have cut, (too tall) so it looks like I will be stuck having to make one.
So there goes my plan of having a off the shelf radiator.. I suppose in the grand scheme of things it ain't that big a deal, I mean my gear box is a custom item as is most of the other stuff of the car, so If I did hole a radiator I would just be getting it towed..
All I managed to get accomplished today is a big hole in front of the fuel tank and cleaned up the mounting hole for the big alloy tank. Yay! :grind:

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on October 29th, 2016 at 08:49 PM

So did a #%@# ton of grinding cutting and heave hoeing today... and my buggy now has a subarugears 5 speed shoehorned in! It was a tight fit and only just clears the two inch lift kit where it pokes through into the chassis. I still haven't got my subaru shifter so that isn't hooked up yet. I think I have enough cut out for it though.
The nice guys at All drive subaru in peakhurst sold me a bare block for $50 bucks which saved a lot of effort lugging around a complete motor hanging off a box to get the mock up all done.
I ended up tigging up the frame horns as well, the left hand side hadn't opened up but the right had, I needed to grind it back a fair bit more than in the pic too, almost flush on the right hand side

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on October 29th, 2016 at 08:51 PM

Took the frame horn support/brace off to fit up all the suby driveline, I will have to re make all of it. I also have to make a bracket for the rear cage/tow bar to tie into the subarugears mount.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on October 29th, 2016 at 08:55 PM

Made up a little rubber flap to cover up the hole in the frame now, Might need to make something a little more permanent later on. I really hope I never have to change that neutral switch!!
I also dummied up the extended sump to make sure it fit... lucky I did because it hit the mount on the right hand side, a little love tap with the file and it now has clearance.
I was swearing a little wondering why the hell the sump plug was on the front of the sump (next to the clutch) thinking that was a stuff up, it wasn't until later when I seen the angle the block sits at I realized why! It has a pretty decent slope downhill to the front.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on October 29th, 2016 at 08:57 PM

Now this lives here,
Not sure if I put the pic up of the fuel tank sitting in it's hole yet so here it is.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on November 15th, 2016 at 10:11 AM

I got a few hours in on the weekend between sorting out the silly pool and mowing the weeds..
I got the hole cut out for the transmission cover humpy thing, cut a bit more fiberglass out up the front for the radiator and figured out a mounting bracket for that.
I also made a connector up for the subarugears to vw shift shaft.
Similar to Brads design but the coupler is on the shaft end rather than the gearbox side.
It works O.k but the 5th gear gate seems a little heavy, might get Todd to swing around one day and have a looksee to make sure I am not loading up the shift shaft at all.
I think it is just a side effect of not having the correct alignment (straight coupling) between the gearbox and shift shaft.
Will see what the experts say. :D
I'll throw some pics up later.

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on November 21st, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Got my transmission cage/frame horn support all made up on the weekend. One day I would like to make some bar work up that doesn't have odd ball angles and cuts to make my life a little easier!
I think I figured out a good solution for mounting the rear cage to Todd's Subarugears engine mount. Of course that has silly angled mounting face as well! :roll:
The riv nuts I put in for the humpy cover hit the tranny bar.. (i'm sure there is a joke I there somewhere) so I have to make something else for the top two bolts there..
Just once I want to bolt something on without having to redesign something else..!
I got the radiators rubber cushioned and rubber mounted lower brace done too. Ill sort out the top mount after the bonnet hinge is attached to something again.
Pics to come.

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on November 27th, 2016 at 05:57 PM

Made a few bits and pieces today and yesterday, got the lower radiator mount made up, bolted a bit of flat plate to it glued down some rubber and also rubber mounted the radiator mount as well.
Also took the radiator in to work to hole saw the fitting in and get my mate to tig in the outlets I had put a bead on with my home made bead roller.
It works pretty well, just have to take it slow to keep the bead nice and square until it runs true itself.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on November 27th, 2016 at 05:59 PM

Got the radiator sitting on the lower mount while I figure out a way to re mount the bonnet to the non existent fibreglass. Most of the radiator is out in good airflow so I think it'll cool ok. I will probably change to those thinner plates so the sail at the front doesn't block it off.
I think I will also get some of that heavy style expanded alloy mesh to stop rocks and what not hitting the radiator like bikes have.
I started making the rear cage and tow bar assembly fit the subarugears engine mount and its honky angled mounting face! I also made the transmission/frame horn brace and got that all cut up made and painted in a day with the worst case of man-flu ever... I nearly died!
There were a few casualties though as bitey the grinder tried to make its way through my fingers a couple of times. Luckily the garage first aid kit is well stocked!!

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on November 27th, 2016 at 06:01 PM

Here's a pic of a couple of practice beads. The first one is way too small and the other one is maxed out, you can see where the pipe has started to flare out at the end, so somewhere in the middle is a good compromise.
I took my time with getting the angles right on the plate for the rear bar/cage. It was a fair bit of dicking around to get the angles cut so there was minimum gap. but it turned out pretty good I think. I think I have enough clearances around the vital components but wont know until I have the actual motor in. The dummy block is actually a ej20 but the sump/engine mounts etc all bolt on so it should be good I hope!

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on November 27th, 2016 at 06:03 PM

Shortened the cages lower legs to mount to the old transmission mount bracket. Got it precariously balancing on the bench while I tack it for welding.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on December 4th, 2016 at 08:29 PM

Had a good weekend ripping into suby, got its heart and nerves out in a box for a lot of man hours of love turning into something useful for the buggy.
Pulled out everything else I needed as well, fuel pump, tank straps, interior lights, I really wanted to use the heater and blower out of the suby too but it was bloody huge! There was no way I could make it fit in my buggy. I guess I'll be getting one of those aftermarket heater core blower things instead.

Memberbaghall
Custom Title Time!
Ben Hal Outlaw Bushranger

Threads: 131

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Kids think I'm obsessed!

posted on December 6th, 2016 at 03:29 PM

Keep up the good work.

68 Baja - It's a growing pain!
58 Baja ute - and the pain spreads!
85 T3 Kombi - still growing
89 T3 Kombi - parts car
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on December 6th, 2016 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baghall
Keep up the good work.

Thanks bud!
Bought a vintage air heater/demister to go in the buggy, had to do a little thinking to get it to work in with my designed cooling system.
Subaru runs a full flow heater core as part of the thermostat loop and without it would soon overheat. And controls the heat by altering the flow of air through the core.
The vintage air unit throttles the coolant through the core to control heat so if id had the heater off the thermostat would never open and the motor would cook.
So I figured out a quick solution where I can use two tee pieces hooked up in a H fashion as a heater core bypass.
This won't be ideal for the heater when the motor is cold but should still work ok.
Eventually I want to use possibly two of the variable water taps but operating opposite each other so as I open flow to the heater core the bypass is closed and vice versa.
Will think about that more later.

Memberbevoracing
A.k.a.: Tony Beven
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 35

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage
Mood: Leaning against the shed wall !.

posted on December 6th, 2016 at 06:50 PM

Check the heater tap on a VY V8 Commodore. They have 4 hose conceptions and shut off the heater and run the flow back around. Might be what you want.
Cheers
Tony

Country Buggy King & Link Pin Overhauls, Type 1 & 2 King Pins, General Machining.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=74138 
My car is KO813
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on December 6th, 2016 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bevoracing
Check the heater tap on a VY V8 Commodore. They have 4 hose conceptions and shut off the heater and run the flow back around. Might be what you want.
Cheers
Tony

Cheers mate I'll have a look into it. Thanks!

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on December 15th, 2016 at 07:53 PM

Been cleaning up the motor and resealing any minor leaks it had, quite amazing how little there was actually, considering the motor has 190k on it!
I did the timing belt and tensioners, waterpump, rocker gaskets and filler o'ring. One thing I did find is the whoever did the last timing belt almost killed the motor by installing the tensioner roller with the plastic washer under the bolt head the it comes with to keep it all together in the box. The bolt was finger tight ready to wind its way out! :no:
Bought some intake and coolant manifold gaskets for piece of mind too.
Got a new clutch kit to go in as soon as I get the motor back on the engine crane. Tested the TPS as well and think I found my hunting throttle issue. I have ordered a replacement and waiting on a reply from the suby guy. Also ordered the metal version of the oil/air separator plate as the plastic ones are known to crack. I am waiting on Paul to get back from the states so I can swap the axles I got incorrectly for some exhaust bits to make up a decent stainless system.

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on December 27th, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Finished off the harness today, spent all day yesterday and till lunchtime today stripping off kilo's of plastic conduit, electrical tape, cable ties etc, removed all the unnecessary stuff, pulled all the plugs out of their respective pins so I could cover the harness in some nice pvc tubing. Buttoned it all back up so it is ready for when I get back from holidays! Really looking forward to driving this thing and now it will go like it should have from the start!

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on January 23rd, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Back from the desert holiday and straight into the buggy, after I got over the nasty chest infection from the disgusting people on the plane..
It seems like it is one step forward five backwards with this buggy every time I spin a spanner on it.
Got the motor in after I'd fit the new oil/air separator plate, new clutch, coolant manifold seals, intake gaskets, timing belt, pulleys and water pump.
After I took the flywheel off again to fit the silly tin cover that won't go on after due to the shortened sump :rolleyes:
After all that bloody reversed throttle body hits the f@#king cage...! :evil: So that was a waste of money.
Ill stick it up soon to see if anyone needs one.
I have sorted out what to do to rectify the situation, need to cut a hole in the transmission hump cover and fibreglass it up when I have some clearance.
I have FINALLY got a complete air box in my buggy mounted up as well. It is a very tight fit but at least I have a waterproof intake system now.
I am not able to run the coolant lines as high as I wanted too but they will still be out of harms way.
Slowly moving forward I think! Getting edgy now I want to drive the bloody thing. :grind:

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on January 29th, 2017 at 08:36 PM

Motor is in, found a spot for the over flow bottle, I have hidden the charcoal canister up high behind the air box,
I had to cut a big hole in the transmission cover so the intake tube had some clearance. Will seal it up soon.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on January 29th, 2017 at 08:38 PM

Been finalising placements for all the things I have to jam in the engine bay, running out of room really quickly.
I have mocked up all the alloy cooling lines down the side of the buggy, waiting on a mate coming round to help with the alloy welding. Not to confident on something that has to hold the engines life blood just yet.
Also started making the mount for the bonnet to swing off since I had to cut that part off to fit the radiator. I had a look at where I am fitting the heater from vintage air too. That will be bloody tight too! I kinda wish my car was about 30% bigger. I wasn't paying the $600 some people wanted for a bead roller so I made my own. Will do the job I think.

Error

Error

Error

Pages:  1  ..  8  9  10  11

Go To Top