Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 25620 | Total Replies: 315 | Thread Id: 102601 ]
 Pages:  1  ..  4  5  6  7  8  ..  11
Author: Subject:  Nate's Manxter Build Ej22/Subarugears Upgrade
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 41

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: Dying to get more buggy building time..

posted on May 18th, 2014 at 08:00 PM

Thanks mate. How are your toys coming along?

It will all be OK in the end, if it's not OK it's not the end!
Memberbaghall
Custom Title Time!
Ben Hal Outlaw Bushranger

Threads: 131

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Kids think I'm obsessed!

posted on May 19th, 2014 at 05:40 AM

It's looking good keep plugging away at it!

68 Baja - It's a growing pain!
58 Baja ute - and the pain spreads!
85 T3 Kombi - still growing
89 T3 Kombi - parts car
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on May 19th, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baghall
It's looking good keep plugging away at it!

Cheers mate getting there slowly, would be further along but my brother bought his new Liberty GT along on sunday to ticker with and had to mow the lawn...:grind:

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 1st, 2014 at 09:05 PM

Been a while since an update, been really busy with work and doing six days a week hasn't left much buggy building time..
My brother also bought a Subaru Liberty GT, that had been serviced well except for the missing timing belt service. :grind: So got stuck in and did that for him, Glad I made him wait to drive it too as there were a few idlers and rollers that were about ten minutes away from imploding! :crazy:
Not a massive fan of the car to drive though, bit dull down low until the hairdryer kicks in! Then it is out of there!
Mounted up the washer bottle and made a few brackets for the filler neck. Cleaned out the mud that was in there too. Filled it with water and test the pump, all good but the grommet leaks! Ill fix that later!
Also got a cool L.E.D light bar, don't know whether to mount it to the front bar or under the bonnet to keep it away from prying eyes.. Will pop some pics of locations later.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 1st, 2014 at 09:06 PM

Just about finished all the wiring up the front of the car too, just need to hook up the headlights when I can get a hand to put the bonnet on. Finished tidying up the wiring, not real happy with how it looks but I was going to make a cover for it anyway. Want to piss off the white conduit in the storage area too.

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 1st, 2014 at 09:08 PM

Bought a cool steering wheel online too, got the boss kit which fits the column but has no provision for what I think would have been the cruise control switch? So not quite sure where to got with that one..

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 7th, 2014 at 08:19 PM

I got the steering wheel sorted, found a Autotecnica boss kit that fits and has the hole for the cruise plug, So If any one needs a boss kit for a 94 Liberty without cruise control let me know!
Also got the bonnet mounted up and finished wiring the headlights. Still need to make a few tabs to tie the wiring too, put some plugs on there too so I can slide the whole bonnet off if need be.
There was a bit of dicking around getting the lenses in square as the headlights are mounted off to the side, was a little careful trimming with tinsnips to re notch the buckets to get them in square and not looking like some goofy cross eyed geek..

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 7th, 2014 at 08:21 PM

The head lights came with these big honky washers that wouldn't have sit flat against the bonnet, so used some of the old shock bush rubbers and some dished washers I had lying around instead, also trimmed off the 30cm of extra stud coming out the base..:crazy:
And I finally got to stick the badge on the front, I have been dying to do that! It looks tops. Not sure If I will put the 2+2 badge on the back with the Manxter one though.
Got a LED light bar to put up front too, was going to mount it to the top of the bar but the bonnet swings to far forward for that, so decided to make a mount off the inside bonnet hinge bolts and mount it under the bonnet, at least it is away from prying eyes and hands now.. And yes I know the photo looks like my buggy has a tongue...!

Error

Error

Error

Membernils
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 65

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on June 8th, 2014 at 07:26 AM

Hi Nath, won't have been the cruise control. All the switch gear on that model was in the dash..

Quit calling rust patina
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 8th, 2014 at 05:37 PM

Hey Nils, yeah it looked like a after thought hack job after having a closer look at the steering wheel, but mine is the second one I have seen with that plug, anyhow all sorted now. Finished making up my dash infills just have to try my luck at covering the dash panel now!

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 8th, 2014 at 08:26 PM

Got a little more done today, folded up some alloy to fill the gaps in the dash, found some neat H section plastic joiner to make the panels disappear once they are in.
Went out to Supercheap today to check out what goodies they had for my tunes.. was going to put a amp under one of the rear seats and try and squeeze some speakers under there too and just have my phone going straight to the amp but it was getting a bit cluttered under there.
Found a really neat head unit with phone connectivity bluetooth sub/amp preouts etc that is tiny! It's about the size of a CB radio. Things have changed since I bought my last one...
Still going to make a small centre console in under the dash mainly to house the speakers.
Going to try and tackle covering the dash tomorrow and making the top and latch for the glove box and buttoning that up. My new steering wheel is just smaller than the suby one that was on there and covers up a couple of idiot lights, if it pisses me off enough ill just make a new panel.. :grind:

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 18th, 2014 at 08:30 PM

So been busy making a centre console for the buggy so I have a spot to put my front speakers, was going to put the head unit there as well but it is a little wide for my liking, so will hide it in the glove box. Also bought one of them universal pockets to pop in the glovebox next to the head unit so I can put more than a pair of gloves in there! :lol:
Been going a bit crazy on Evilbay at the moment and bought some heated seat elements, to try and get some element of warmth in a open top car! :crazy:
Also got a dock for my phone so I can link it straight to the stereo via bluetooth so I can do all the controls from there without having to open the glove box every time I want to change something. Also got some cool vw logo'd mudflaps. Would have some pics to put up but ended up giving myself a cracking black eye while making a panel to cover the centre of the console.. The bench grinder won that little fight! :grind:

Membernils
Fahrvergnugen

posted on June 19th, 2014 at 05:48 AM

Tested my seat heaters last night, have to say I am very happy.. You defiantly don't notice they are there to sit on. It takes about 4mins to realise your seat is warmer than you and at 10mins on high it's time to change to the low setting, otherwise you're getting a sweaty crack.

Quit calling rust patina
Membernils
Fahrvergnugen

posted on June 19th, 2014 at 05:59 AM

Oh, and nice head unit. Been looking for a media unit that supports an external mic for the telephone. Where did you pick that up, ebay aswell?

Quit calling rust patina
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 19th, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Cool thanks mate, I bought them anyway! But glad to hear that's how good they work. I don't think i'll need to worry about sweating in my buggy.. :lol:
Nah just Supercheap for that mate, Got the bluetooth head unit, pair of 6x9"s pair of 6"s with tweeters for $260. I cringe when I think what my last stereo install cost me..

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on June 22nd, 2014 at 09:13 PM

So had a even worse weekend than giving myself a cracker of a black eye last weekend.. crashed the wife's car... (only one we have at the moment) So fucking pissed of at myself.. she did want a new one just not quite this soon. So that has pushed my buggy fund back quite a bit and might have to wait until after my mates Texas wedding to get it on the road. At least I have just about all I need to finish it off so It's ready for rego/engineering when the wallet says yes!
Brother came around today to re-tension the belts on his Liberty today, he bought the same seat heaters as I did, so he pulled my passenger seat out and practiced fitting up the heating pads on mine first! Mine were glued to the foam underneath which made it a bit of a pain to get the elements sitting flat around the contours. got it looking pretty reasonable. Not a show car so I'm not too fussed. His seats were a nightmare has these silly hog ring things binding the leather to the foam underneath and took him ages to get them on.
Got the centre console covered today just need to make up the face/switch plate now.

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on July 13th, 2014 at 06:39 PM

Had another weekend working on Saturday so got stuff all done... and all these little niggley jobs are taking forever! Bought some Vw logo'd mud flaps, they look a little ridiculous with the cheese cutters on but that'll change later, Got the handbrake switch mounted up as well.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on July 13th, 2014 at 06:41 PM

With the front speaker locations sorted I decided to make up a kick panel under the rear seats to hide the rear speakers, Was going to try and make this open up to get at my compressor under the seat but this was going to be too much dicking around, Ill just plumb the fittings through the panel at a later date. Ended up mounting it with rubber coated P clamps, these worked well for mounting the mud flaps too. I will also mount the front number plate with them as well so the bonnet has a nice rubber stop to rest against.
Also lined the inside of the glove box installed the head unit and got a spare pocket to put alongside the head unit and 12v power point. Makes good use of the dead space behind the glove box. I lost the switch I just bought for the light bar so haven't been able to finish the last of the wiring as yet. Still need to run the wiring for the head unit, 12v socket, heated seats and the speakers. Also been trying to cover the dash top which has been a prick of a job, all the glues I had at home were taking ages to set and the vinyl I got to cover it with is only stretchy in one direction, Just need to glue one more side then it's done.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on July 20th, 2014 at 09:17 PM

Got most of the wiring for the centre console done, the stereo is all but wired up, I think I have more wiring in the console than in the rest of the car... But I can remove it with a 3mm allen key and 27,000 plugs!
Ended up running a separate accessories fuse box as I didn't want to over load the main one and it was getting a bit busy around there. Finished covering the cock of a dash panel never going to become an upholsterer that's for sure! Had to trim a bit of the top of the glovebox lid and bevel the edge to fit under the now thicker covered dash top. It looks pretty reasonable though. Really wish I didn't have to cover it though. Bloody Adr's are a pain in the ass!

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on July 20th, 2014 at 09:18 PM

Supercheap had a sale on so got some strip LED's for the inside of the glove box and was also thinking of making a overhead console for a CB or UHF in between the T-bars of the roll cage and some map lights off that too, does any one use CB's or UHF radio's anymore? I know a few of my mates with fourby's still do..
Still couldn't find the switch I bought for the light bar so bought some more off Air on Board site, really neat looking switches too, couldn't resist taking the piss a little though..
The locker one is not used.. yet! I'd love to get a Kombi box with a locker like Manxiberty's maybe he'll sell it to me cheap!

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on July 27th, 2014 at 08:27 PM

So woke up this morning and found I'd decided to grow a pair of balls overnight and finally put my new windscreen in! It went in so easy and fits so much better than the first one did, and has a cool tint at the top of the screen now. :tu:
I'd recommend breaking their windscreen to anyone... It did make wiring a lot easier though!:crazy:

I got a electronic antennae from supercheap that is supposed to be 12 volt amplified but works fine just plugged in...? Anyone used one of these before? It does have a braided lead that looks like a earth and a extra wire coming out of it but makes no difference to the reception, I was picking up a central coast station in my garage in Sydney!

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on August 3rd, 2014 at 09:00 PM

So Wifey is back to uni for the weekend so I got some uninterrupted buggy time!
Embarrassed to say it took me the most part of saturday to get the bastard wipers sorted out..
I went to the wrecker and got some Lbug arms which were better than the Sbug ones but still crap so I went and pilfered some of the Camry down the road from work that the guy from the 4wd shop practises driving over!
These have the proper size hooks on the end that are easy to get arms for. A bit of surgery to marry them up to the Vw arms and now have wipers that cover enough of the screen to pass engineering. Needed to modify the spindle arms as well as the drivers one was just going of the edge of the screen and the passenger one wasn't travelling far enough and leaving a dead spot in the middle. Also got a Night/Day rear vision mirror out of it too. Just need to find some glue to stick it on.
Had to double check my notes about ten times.. just didn't make sense that I needed to make the spindle LONGER for the arm that was traveling too far, and SHORTEN the one that wasn't traveling enough!
Would have liked the passenger arm to sit a little lower so the bonnet covered it but too late now..

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on August 3rd, 2014 at 09:02 PM

Got some alloy welding practice in today on my dirt bikes busted ass subframe... didn't even bin it last ride and had to fix something!
Anodized alloy is a pain in the ass to weld! But got it done in the end.
My mate put some clear lens indicators on his Mx5 so I scored his original ones to stick on the side of the buggy. Cheers!
I can get the bonnet to clear the wiper arms by running a small rubber stopper so the bonnet doesn't rest down so far but it looks crappy, but the snowball effect just moves along and I don't think the rubber latches will stretch that far..
Was thinking I might be able to put a spacer in between the bonnet and hinge to move it forward a tad? Will mock something up and see how I go with that. If I do run the rubber stops, the bonnet latches will probably have to be turned around so the pin is on the bonnet side. Pics to come.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on August 3rd, 2014 at 09:07 PM

So my to do list is
-Finish covering wiring
-Make overhead console (can do this later)
-Fit compressor under rear seat
-Fit heated element to drivers seat (wiring ready to go)
-Still need to tweak steering column slightly as it is still notchy due to the uni angles.. :grind:
-Fit the dash when wiring is covered up
-Engineer it and rego!

Membernils
Fahrvergnugen

posted on August 3rd, 2014 at 09:14 PM

Ah....... details,details and yet more details. All in the name of road legal.

What ever happened to the days of rolling the beetle body off one weekend and driving a Manx the next?

Quit calling rust patina
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on August 3rd, 2014 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nils
Ah....... details,details and yet more details. All in the name of road legal.

What ever happened to the days of rolling the beetle body off one weekend and driving a Manx the next?

Pfft! Haha I wish! Although it does say that in the "instructions" :crazy: it's just all the fiddley shit that takes the time as I'm sure you are aware off..
The to do list is getting small though, I'm actually getting a bit nervous!
Any news on the bus?

Membernils
Fahrvergnugen

posted on August 4th, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I heard it went into highfill on Saturday morning, so its on it's way. Might drop by again when I pass by again on Saturday. Maybe the week after that? Parts permitting

Quit calling rust patina
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on August 24th, 2014 at 09:40 PM

Got a bit more fiddly shit done today, The bonnet latches are on and the wipers clear the bonnet. :D
Ended up putting a 5mm spacer in between the hinge and the bonnet to move it forward, and putting in some rubber stops as well so it has a nice cushioned landing, mocked up the hinges and they wouldn't work the way the manual says to install them as the pin would be sitting on a angle, possibly due to moving the bonnet forward, so flipped them around and they work great.
Finished covering up the wiring, need to try and find some self fusing tape to cover the last bit as the expensive wurth fabric tape I bought is crap and has just unravelled itself. :grind:
Installed the top dash cover man is it tight now with the covering and padding over the top, it doesn't even need screw to hold it in! That was after I nearly ran over it moving the buggy out while it was still sitting on the cage... :no: It only rolled a few times down the driveway! Lucky I'm a fan of character scratches! Also finally got the balls to glue the little metal tab in place for the rear vision mirror, only been putting that off for a month or so! I think it's on straight...
Mocked up the widened steelies I got from the Vw nationals a couple of months ago, the offset is very wide and looks great on the rear but they hang out over the front guard quite a fair bit. So back to square one there, considering just getting two modified up front to legal specs (no more than 1 inch track increase) And leaving the wider ones for after engineer time! Thoughts?

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on August 24th, 2014 at 09:45 PM

The dash cover turned out quite well, (for a motorbike mechanic!)
Pulled the drivers seat out and started stripping it to put the heater elements in, glad I did too, pulled the rubber mats I had on the floor to protect it while I was throwing tools around and found a nice pile of drill shavings that had gone all rusty.. :shock:
So after I cleaned the poo out of my pants I gave the car a very good vacuum, lucky I found that before it made its way through the raptor lining..
Not sure if I posted any pics of the subaru seats all naked, not much to them but #%@# they weigh alot! So does the rubber matting I bought to put down before the floor mats.
Also got some water resistant canvas seat covers, figured it wouldn't hurt, and I liked the fact that there is another layer between the element and my ass as they got quite hot through the mesh seat during testing.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on August 24th, 2014 at 09:47 PM

Got some rubber matting, like what Paul said to let the mud and sand fall to the bottom, and some floor mats that'll sit on top to keep wifey happy, trimmed the drivers around the pedal, then flipped it over and use it as a template to cut the passengers forgetting the little difference the passenger side has no pedals and the floor mat is longer. What a dipshit. :rolleyes:
So I glued that bit back on lucky it is hidden by the seat!
Took the buggy outside to bake in the sun for the few minutes it decided not to rain while I get the garage a quick sweep. I like the white it is really growing on me. Just need to get some nice black wheels on it now!

Error

Error

Error

Pages:  1  ..  4  5  6  7  8  ..  11

Go To Top