Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 25631 | Total Replies: 315 | Thread Id: 102601 ]
 Pages:  1  ..  6  7  8  9  10  11
Author: Subject:  Nate's Manxter Build Ej22/Subarugears Upgrade
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 41

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: Dying to get more buggy building time..

posted on February 2nd, 2015 at 06:07 PM

Thanks guys, yeah I love them. Might get them painted on later, too many curves to put them on the rear or all the way down the bonnet. I'm stoked with how it's looking. If only the guy would hurry up with my wheels!

It will all be OK in the end, if it's not OK it's not the end!
Memberadlbeetle66
A.k.a.: Denver
Custom Title Time!
Under the car.........again!

Threads: 98

Mood: ICH BIN VW NUSS

posted on February 2nd, 2015 at 06:23 PM

I was gonna use those stickers for down my workshop wall but i'm glad they have been put to good use!!
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on February 3rd, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Thanks again mate! :tu:

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on February 22nd, 2015 at 05:10 PM

So not much has happened to my poor wheel less buggy.. still waiting to see if the guy can un-crooked weld my wonky ass wheels..
If not I have seen some 5.5 inch steelies for sale in the standard offset/backspace, just a bit unsure of what tyres to get, if I can get the 6 inchers fixed up i'd probably run some bfgs all terrains in 215/75r15s, or if I go for the 5.5 inchers I have seen some maxxis trepadors in 205/70r15 that look awesome but I am a bit unsure how ridiculous those muddies will be on the road? Which if I am honest is where they will spend most of their time.. :fakesniff:
Any ideas/recommendations?
Also big thanks you to Mr PUD who went up to his elbows in his donor car to find a dimmer module so I can tick off one of the last boxes on the engineers check list! There was a little fluffing about getting the Suby bits to talk to the vw/aftermarket gauges but I now have dimmable dash lights! How fancy!
Also got the side curtains delivered from the states from Mr Brad, Cheers! They look like they will do the job nicely, has anyone figured out a place on the car to store the windows/doors when they aren't being used?
Had to route my tank breather a little higher to as after I filled it up about ten minutes later I heard the fuel being siphoned out on to the ground! :mad:Lucky I was still in the garage! Will stick a much longer breather tube on it soon. The fuel gauge doesn't quite go all the way to full so also have to suss that out.

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 4th, 2015 at 07:21 PM

Still haven't sussed out the fuel gauge issue, the gauge was perfect while still in my old super, but this new sender doesn't go all the way up to 0 ohms when full, stops at about twelve, goes down to 75 when empty and is accurate up to 3/4 of a tank but stops there, wonder if there is a limit stop that can be adjusted?
Craig Torrens has kindly lent me some wheels so I can do my engineers test next Saturday, :tu: Can't wait! Will be going over the car with a fine tooth comb to make sure it is all sweet.
Will sort out the fuel gauge after I have used some of the full tank...!

MemberSqualo
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 0

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on March 5th, 2015 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vduboyIf not I have seen some 5.5 inch steelies for sale in the standard offset/backspace, just a bit unsure of what tyres to get, if I can get the 6 inchers fixed up i'd probably run some bfgs all terrains in 215/75r15s, or if I go for the 5.5 inchers I have seen some maxxis trepadors in 205/70r15 that look awesome but I am a bit unsure how ridiculous those muddies will be on the road? Which if I am honest is where they will spend most of their time.. :fakesniff:
Any ideas/recommendations?

Hi mate

I discovered this build today and have lost a lot of work time due to being glued to it page by page :blush:

I have been involved in 4wding for a few years and have learned a lot about AT and MT tyres. Personally I would not run AT tyres on ANYTHING - they are not great dry tarmac tyres, they are average at best offroad, and wet tarmac can be frightening.

MTs on the other hand are - these days - a totally different kettle of fish to what they used to be. Due to the 4wd boom all over the planet, most of the tyre companies money has gone into MTs, and it shows - the latest generation actually stop and turn on wet tarmac, are quieter, and are insanely good offroad.

ATs are now starting to see the development bucks so they will catch up, but for now I personally steer clear of them and run MTs fulltime on my Patrol

When I say noise levels are down, it's relative - they are still noisy compared to HT or AT, and you don't have an insulated cabin to block out the noise. So I'd be a little wary of running MTs unless you are going to be ok with a little tyre howl.

Given that the car will most likely be a weekend car only, you can probably get away with ATs as well, just be aware of the fact that they can be a bit scary on wet roads - brake earlier, slower through corners etc.

Your Manx would look insane on a set of BF Goodrich KM2s which are the best MTs I've tried, and they come in many sizes. Kumho KL71 are also at the top of the tree as far as modern MTs go.

Whatever you do, don't fit Coopers. You probably will never need to worry about delamination, punctures, and total failure in remote areas, but still... they are like Jeeps, average at best but with terrific marketing campaigns.
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 5th, 2015 at 08:05 PM

Hi mate, thanks for the kind words! Sorry about your work time...!
I decided to go with the hankook at's last week, was really close to getting their muddies, but was a bit worried about the noise.. The whining from the passengers seat when wifey comes along for a ride would drown it out though... Where's the heater? Or the windows? How come it's got no doors? :D

MemberSqualo
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 0

posted on March 5th, 2015 at 11:35 PM

LOL! Mate the only sounds from wifey will be laughter and 'I want to drive!' :)

Hancooks are a pretty decent choice. I don't think you've revealed the final rims you're going to run? (I might have missed it)

I'm a Kombi guy but read heaps of aircooled topics because there's always a little tip or two hidden away that you can apply to whatever VW you have. Glad I found your topic though, fabrication in a build is really something special. And I'm into bikes too, so this topic is all win for me.
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 6th, 2015 at 05:00 AM

Again thanks for the kinds words, I am only running stock widened vw rims, I'm not one for bling, (says the guy that built a buggy) yeah I agree I loved the fabrication side of it heaps, the skillset I have now is huge compared to before. I was just a motorbike mechanic!

MemberSmiley
A.k.a.: Daniel Stephens
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 110

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Synchro'd

posted on March 6th, 2015 at 01:23 PM

You won't be able to hear the tyres over the engine, wind noise and cheers from people as you drive along!

Smiley :)

If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 6th, 2015 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Squalo
LOL! Mate the only sounds from wifey will be laughter and 'I want to drive!' :)

Hancooks are a pretty decent choice. I don't think you've revealed the final rims you're going to run? (I might have missed it)

I'm a Kombi guy but read heaps of aircooled topics because there's always a little tip or two hidden away that you can apply to whatever VW you have. Glad I found your topic though, fabrication in a build is really something special. And I'm into bikes too, so this topic is all win for me.

I would love a nice dual cab baja bus, but it appears I missed the boat on affording one of them now.. kombis are getting silly money at the moment! What bikes are you into?
Cheers

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 6th, 2015 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
You won't be able to hear the tyres over the engine, wind noise and cheers from people as you drive along!

Smiley :)

Hahaha You didn't mention the wife... she'll drown out all that for sure! :lol::lol:
I am getting really excited to drive this thing now..!

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 8th, 2015 at 08:04 PM

So finally have some grown up shoes on the buggy! Looks awesome! The left front hangs out more than the right front does...??
Don't know what the go is there, hoping it's just slightly different offset on the two front borrowed rims.
Went out and got a label maker and labeled the fuses and relays then put the dash on for the last time I hope! My engineer is coming around on Saturday to do a check over so we can see if anything else needs to be changed.
One thing I did notice on my quick test drive on a "private road" to check the steering,brakes and speedo out was the steering feels quite slow compared to my old Superbug, this normal? It already has a smaller than standard wheel on it, the sway bar isn't installed as yet on the front, would this make a difference?

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 8th, 2015 at 08:06 PM

Some recent pics with the new Hankook 215/75r15s AT all round. Looks heaps better, raised the whole car about two inches

Error

Error

Memberadlbeetle66
Custom Title Time!

posted on March 8th, 2015 at 08:11 PM

I can't stop smiling!!
Cheers on the good work! :tu::tu:
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on March 8th, 2015 at 09:09 PM

you need a big "54"

Futue te ipsum!!!
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 15th, 2015 at 12:49 PM

So good news on the engineering, we went out for a drive, did the brake tests, pulling up from 100k's as quick as a could and pulled up well, passed the figures required.
But the backs just locked up before the fronts so will need to fit a proportioning valve.
Apart from that I just need to get my wheels on and get the car weighed after the engineer is finished writing out the report. :tu:

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 22nd, 2015 at 06:49 PM

So Wifey has been whining non stop about the roof still being in the spare room so decided to crack on and get that mounted up, got the hole saw out and made the holes for the pivots, that was heaps of fun having a hole saw so close to the windscreen! Made up a few grommets for filling in the gap around the spacers and glued them in. Mounted the light bar I had under the front of the bonnet on the roof, had to set it back further than I liked as the reflection from the light bar shined straight on the headlight shells! Started mounting the side curtains as well, I hate using pop rivets on fiberglass feels like crap when they pop! Also got some of the spare seat belt collars that have a nylon washer to use on the roof pivot, feels a lot nicer than just pivoting on the bolt.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 22nd, 2015 at 06:50 PM

Mounted the light bar on the roof, not sure if I like it yet, will have to see if they work well enough to leave it there. Only one extra hole to grommet up if I move it.
Started fitting up the side curtains, would have liked it if the rear rails for the curtains were a bit longer, the mounting holes are very close to the edge of the glass.
Will have to get some thinner padding for the rear hoop as it makes the top very tight to fit. Only done one side so far.
Stuffed up with my speedo hall sensor on the cv, mounted it too close and heard a ting ting ting SMASH! So have rewired that and moved it away from the cv ring gear. The cv adaptor has a little to much float on the splines for how close I mounted it.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 22nd, 2015 at 06:52 PM

Oh yeah also got it weighed, it's a bit of a porky! 860kgs! I guess all that barwork and heavy tyres/wheels does add up!

Memberadlbeetle66
Custom Title Time!

posted on March 22nd, 2015 at 06:53 PM

:rolleyes: Very well done.. Great work!
Membernils
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 65

posted on March 22nd, 2015 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vduboy
Oh yeah also got it weighed, it's a bit of a porky! 860kgs! I guess all that barwork and heavy tyres/wheels does add up!

Don't be too stressed, that's still well short of what my Baja weighs ;-)

Quit calling rust patina
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 23rd, 2015 at 05:09 AM

Haha so what's you Baja weigh?

Membernils
Fahrvergnugen

posted on March 25th, 2015 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vduboy
Haha so what's you Baja weigh?

Couldn't say for sure now days but was at 880kg before hanging 2 extra cylinders of the rear end.

Quit calling rust patina
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 29th, 2015 at 07:30 PM

Bit more done on the engineering side, Had a couple of hours after work measuring braking components, pad material dimensions, rear caliper bracket dimensions, reservoir diameters etc for the report the other night.
Need a few more bits of information for the engineer now, he hasn't got any figures for the seat belt mounting strength wise, so hopefully Ben/Brad can help out there!
As he is mostly talking jibberish to me with relation to 550mpa of pressure at the point of mounting. I'm hoping this can be all sorted soon as I was hoping to take the buggy away to Orange for it's first trip in two weeks!
I fit up the side curtain kit yesterday, pictures to come, it fit up pretty well, needed to move some of the padding around as it was too thick in some spots and wouldn't fit without massive stretching.
The doors needed a slight bend in the bottom to match the curve of the body, I added a button at the top to help support the weight of the door when closed. Not sure what to do when the window is open, maybe add another button down the bottom as well.
One the rails was bent the wrong way so had to carefully bend it the other direction, they had about five holes to mount with but I only used two as they are also a wedge fit in between the frame and roof support system. And I hate putting rivets in thin fiberglass!

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 31st, 2015 at 06:25 PM

Given all the measurement to the engineer to do the strength calculations, hoping like mad that it is all OK, otherwise don't know what to do!
Had to re order some approved padding, the stuff I got previously from the muppet online who said it was compliant is not, so had to spend another couple hundred bucks on approved padding... what a joke!
Anyway hopefully I get some good news tomorrow from the engineer, a little win would be nice right about now!

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on April 3rd, 2015 at 07:06 PM

So got the approved padding, expensive #%@#... and hard as concrete...! Fitted that up, ended up wrapping it in some of the the other softer stuff I had as well so I don't get a mild concussion if I bump my head. :roll:
Gave the engineer all the measurements for the cage, hasn't said anything yet so I'm guessing no news is good news, he is ticking his way through all the bull#%@# at the moment. Cutting it fine for my Orange trip with the wife.. We leave on Friday.
Feels like a Brad timeline...!! It's getting to me a bit, the car has been drivable for over six months now. Have done a total of 19 k's in it so far!
Really hoping it's done soon so I can at least drive it to work and back a couple of times first, that's a 90 odd k round trip.

Membernils
Fahrvergnugen

posted on April 4th, 2015 at 08:32 AM

Ah bureaucracy......... I can see why so many hot rodders ect are now headed over seas. It is actually easier to get a TUV recognition than deal with any of the Australian transport sectors. Things have changed In Europe and things like common sense are now allowed to be used to make decisions. Give it another 20years and we might. Catch up.

Quit calling rust patina
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on April 5th, 2015 at 06:37 PM

Sealed up the gap between the lower dash tub and the windscreen frame and down the edge of the door channels, lets just say we can cross tiler of my list of future professions!
I also dicked around trying to figure out a way of making a real wheel carrier, but all the new standards in vsb14 make it all but impossible, you have to be able to see the taillights and blinkers from 45 degrees inside angle and 80 degrees outside, the only place I could do that was sitting on top of the rear bar but i'd have to pull that off and weld/paint it again and I couldn't be bothered really! Or I could hang it off the tow hitch but it hangs so low it's ridiculous.

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on April 5th, 2015 at 06:38 PM

Also stuck another button on the lower edge of the door so in can stay secured while the top of the door is folded down. It sits much better now.
Still waiting for some good news from the engineer, have my blue slip and green slips lined up just need to call Shannons when that is done to pay through the nose for insurance!

Error

Error

Pages:  1  ..  6  7  8  9  10  11

Go To Top