Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Forum Rules
Effective 14/01/2014, the forum rules are here:

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=104671 

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1064 | Total Replies: 2 | Thread Id: 104642 ]
Author: Subject: [SOLD] [FS - QLD] 1968 Autostick Beetle, OG paint, almost no rust, loads of...
Memberpfillery
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 160

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on January 8th, 2014 at 02:01 PM
[SOLD] [FS - QLD] 1968 Autostick Beetle, OG paint, almost no rust, loads of spares, trades considered

Up for sale now and available for collection very soon (as soon as my Kombi is ready to roll) is my 68 Autostick Beetle named Zena. So this is not an EOI, the car is for sale with availability some time in the next few weeks by negotiation (if you need it sooner we can talk).

Zena is not a show car but she is also far from ratty. You could work some magic and go either way or leave her in between and just enjoy. If you know anything about VWs you will know semi auto beetles are rare. I think that scares some people away but they are fantastic to drive. They also have the best factory combo for handling and driveability (beam front with IRS rear) only available on the autosticks. Sadly this is why many have been lost to baja and buggy builders. Parts are not an issue as they were, and still are, very popular in the USA. You can convert them to manual with minimal effort but why would you. Once you master driving them they perform as well as any Beetle but a lot more fun.

Paint is OG. Paintwork is 80 to 90% good, as you would expect from a 45 year old car there are parts where it has been touched up, a little on the drivers side roof, around the vents below the rear window and the bootlid. Paint is thin just below the side rear window. The car presents very well and as an unrestored example will be a better prospect for many people than a car which has been resprayed. As a daily drive, which has been my usage, it is ideal. Under the guards and in the wheel wells remains white as it was when it was made.

The rear apron has crazed paintwork which has not been touched up and the passenger side guard has a small metal tear at the very bottom (been like that since I've had it), would not need repairing unless you are finicky, plus there is a tiny hole in the middle of the passenger side door skin (what from or why its there I don't know) and a sticker that covers an old antenna hole on the drivers side. Apart from these minor bits the car is exceptionally straight. Additionally, and this is the big plus, there is ALMOST NO RUST!!! The A pillar base on the passenger side has a tiny amount and thats it. Floorpan is rust free, straight and clean, one of the best I've seen, body has no dings or dents except for a couple of small stone impact marks under one rear guard. I've not found any bog in it either so if you did want to rat it you would have no trouble.

Rims (including the spare) are the OG black and white 2 tone German style with chrome hubcaps. Tyres are all very good. Engine and gearbox are perfect. Engine has a few minor oil drips (don't they all) so would benefit from a couple of the usual gaskets being changed. Starts first time every time, battery is not too old and ticks over nicely as it was rebuilt and upgraded to 1600 (new heads etc) by one of the previous owners in the not too distant past. Gearbox is good, changes nicely and works the way it should. Windscreen has a crack and will need replacing but a spare is included. Dual circuit braking system and disc brakes on the front work well, fronts are a little squeaky (pads and rotors good just an annoying non asbestos pad symptom - I do have some NOS 70s Bendix pads available)

Interior is mostly good, original headliner with a couple of minor tears, original rear carpet, rear seat is great, fronts need covers, not much to replace, front carpet has been removed but deadener is still there. Carpet kits are also easy to do. Original door cards. all the special 68 only stuff like speedo and winders are there. Dash is uncut, blanking panel still intact, radio is mounted in glovebox in a custom mounting and original glovebox insert is available with the car. Underbonnet mat is original cardboard as is the dash cover.

I have a stack of auto specific spares by negotiation with the car, 3 spare gearboxes, flex plates, torque convertor, starter, NOS clutch actuator, spare control boxes, oil tanks, vacuum tanks, oil pump and lines, shifters, NOS mudflaps (special ones to cover the tanks under the rear guards) and more. Also have workshop manual, a stack of beetle spares, glass, bonnet, etc and other stuff available. Personalised plates are not included (but are available for sale for Qld buyers) and the roofrack pictured is gone already and doesn't come with it. Does have a towbar.

The car will come with the glovebox manual and all logbooks and receipts of work done over the years which is a very comprehensive history. Included are the fitted accessories like the parcel shelf and the vintage rain deflectors, both OG and hard to find). Has original and spare key.

I have probably missed stuff but if you want more info, more detailed photos of any areas or to do a deal, feel free to contact me. Contact Paul by PM or via email pfillery@yahoo.com.au or call/text 0418871950.

For the Beetle with fitted accessories and inclusions specifically mentioned I'm chasing $3750 negotiable. It is insured/valued a lot higher than this. Spares and extras can be discussed. Car will be sold without any rego as this will be allowed to lapse once the Kombi is ready. Happy to transport to a depot for interstate buyers or can help with organising permits if you want to drive it home. Located Caboolture area of Brisbane. Also open to consider part trade for VW project car, rat project or something interesting or different. Got something - let's talk.

This is a great daily drive as its a little different. There is no big long list of work done because not much has been needed in the time I've had it. I've only had to replace the shift bush and the flasher relay in the last year.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd508/pfillery/image_zps9271c88a.jpg
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd508/pfillery/image_zpsfd518230.jpg
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd508/pfillery/image_zps79c691f9.jpg
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd508/pfillery/image_zps5807023b.jpg
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

info.gif posted on January 10th, 2014 at 03:40 PM

[size=5]I hope it goes to a good home Paul

Original semi auto

hard to find in good condition..

$3750 a Bargain

LEE[/size]

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Memberbugmatic
Learner Dubber

Threads: 3

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on January 11th, 2014 at 06:35 PM

Good luck with the sale. I've just sold my '69 Sticky, though it was pretty rough compared to yours. I second that these cars are great to drive. Mine was a daily for years and never missed a beat. Transmission is very relaxed and it corners/stops much better than people expect. Great to see there's another one out there that hasn't had an oval body dropped onto it!

:tu:

I'd rather travel by AIR than by water.

Go To Top