Author: Subject:  VW Sydney Showdown 2014
Memberrose
Veteran Volks Folk
doin it for d girls

Threads: 308

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Red
Mood: always happy

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 07:51 AM

I race my 13 sec bug and never feel out of place as everyone makes me feel that I belong. And we don't spend a heap of money and we still have heaps of fun.

I still had time to stir up the boys with some competitive banter :lol:

There's always a better atmosphere when it's more than a 1 day event as you have more time to go have a chin wag to all the other crews. But it's still a good day out.

80 odd cars is a great turn out for a VW race event.

Well done Craig bring on Warwick the 3 day VW Drag racing event.

[img][/img]
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 07:58 AM

Just combine the Drags and the VW Nationals and make one awesome VW weekend event ;)

Memberrose
Veteran Volks Folk
doin it for d girls

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 08:24 AM

Hey Craig did the dude from QLD catch up with you at the track that had some VW parts for you??

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Torrens
Just combine the Drags and the VW Nationals and make one awesome VW weekend event ;)

[img][/img]
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 08:51 AM

Quote:

Then it will rain for sure
MemberPhilm
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 08:57 AM

Rose,
I always enjoy your enthusiasm for drag racing and look forward to your pictures and posts.

I am not sure why you would mention costs as you have mentioned it doesn't cost alot to participate and have fun. I have definitely never said Craig has done a bad job, it was actually the opposite just concerned the community were not there to support it. 80 is a great number but as Craig has mention at 130 cars would be incredible.

The VW community is broad from Modern water cooled, to vintage beetles. I love them all but with anything prefer the competition type cars and that is where I thought the support was lacking. There are many reasons for this and I too should have had my car ready and competing.

I never feel out of place, and certainly everyone made you feel welcome, but that's not what I am on about.

I do take my hat off to Craig as it is not easy doing what he is doing, and for the record I am actually a sponsor so I hope you see that I support Craig and what he is doing.

Phil
Memberrose
Veteran Volks Folk
doin it for d girls

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 09:22 AM

Hi Phil

Sorry I misunderstood what you where trying to get across, yes it is a shame that a lot more people don't support these events, as it takes a lot of effort and time to organise one.

I'm just saying that anyone can enter there car you don't have to have a full on drag car to get out there and have some fun.

Anyone can get out there and have a go and do a 18sec pass, still have fun and could even win as well.

Can't wait till Warwick.

[img][/img]
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rose
Hey Craig did the dude from QLD catch up with you at the track that had some VW parts for you??

Quote:

Yes thanks Rose :kiss:

MemberHotRodMatt
Wolfsburg Elder
If it's old or rare - cut it!

Threads: 361

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rose
I'm just saying that anyone can enter there car you don't have to have a full on drag car to get out there and have some fun.

Anyone can get out there and have a go and do a 18sec pass, still have fun and could even win as well.

But also, maybe they shouldn't...
It's a fine line between encouraging enough people to enter to make an event viable and profitable and encouraging things which harm the outcome and or enjoyment of the event.

Mud tyres, axle-tramping and poor fluid containment are good examples. Every time a poorly set up car leaves the line banging the rear axles up and down it is pulling up patches of good surface from the track, likewise mud tyres doing it all the way down the length of the racing surface.

Fluid loss can happen to well built cars as well as others, but the majority of losses come from cars that have little to no preparation to run on a drag strip.

A quarter mile may only be twice the distance of an eighth, but the stresses on the car are over the distance are of a higher magnitude. A car "handling" abuse over an eighth may not hold together so well over the quarter.

So while anyone can enter and have fun, please, talk to people who race regularly and have invested heavily in the sport, or even better, have them look over your car and advise.
Memberfish26
A.k.a.: benito
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 38

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Ken awesome

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 05:36 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree 100% as much as Craig does an exellent job organizing these events its not all about the number of cars entered but the way cars are prepped for the race track.......a dirty track must be scary when you're in a sub 12sec car

bitten by the bug..........several times
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 07:14 PM

Quote:

WHY you wont attend anyway so what does it matter

Membersilver
Veteran Volks Folk
Dangerous when poked

Threads: 162

Mood: In 2 Minds

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vw54
Quote:

WHY you wont attend anyway so what does it matter

and thereby for your own good Craig don't comment

Keeping it real !
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 07:58 PM

Tugger

Membersauron
Commited Dubber

Threads: 10

Mood: Old but not always cranky

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 08:26 PM

Wow, I miss one event and you guys start ripping each others throats out. What the hell's going on, take a big breath and calm down.:lol:
Memberairkool_little_bastard
Banned

No Avatar

Threads: 6

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 09:38 PM

#! Message No Longer Available !#

When you’re racing, it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting.
Memberfish26
Fahrvergnugen

posted on February 26th, 2014 at 11:19 PM

i like how the sword on this forum only has one edge favouring certain number of people.

Having the Nationals combined with Drag and Circuit racing at THE ONE LOCATION over a weekend makes the most sense by far.

Birchill, I think you should let go of your ego and actually pay some attention especially when contributing patrons pay for the privilege of being involved in the community.

So worked up right now, i better leave before i really express myself and GET REPORTED for profanity and personal attacks.

Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on February 27th, 2014 at 05:34 AM

Hi

It would be great idea to have everything together on the one weekend.

Couple things that would chuck a spanner in the works.

One is the weather, Fairfield Show ground is completely under cover, who remembers going to soggy Nationals over the years? Club Vee Dub make a modest profit out of the VW Nationals, a rained out, outdoor event with poor attendance would put the club into such a poor financial position that future Nationals might not go ahead. That would leave Sydney apart the VW Showdown without any major VW event.

Flat Four are doing a good job running the show n shine at the VW Showdown, where would that leave them if the two events were combined.

The other is we've been trying to hire Eastern Creek for our VW Nationals Supersprint for a few years with no luck, hopefully with the new track at Luddenham becoming available soon we could move our VW Nationals Supersprint to there.

If we were able to hire Eastern Creek our club members would have to step up a notch to get flaggies etc to run the event. If we did manage to hire Eastern Creek the date is not set in concrete, if they get a better offer we would get the flick and then have no venue for the Supersprint

fish26, I'm not sure if your a Club Vee Dub member, if you are or wish to join we could always use more people wishing to make the VW Nationals a success into the future.

Steve Carter, President Club Vee Dub Sydney
Memberfish26
Fahrvergnugen

posted on February 27th, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Maybe we should start a new thread with ideas on how to turn the Nationals into a World Class Event?

And no, I won't be joining a club whose president drives a Subaru powered beetle as nice as it may be.

MemberHappyDaze
A.k.a.: Greg Mackie
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Superannuated

Threads: 141

Mood: Happy enough

posted on February 27th, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Crikey!.......How do you feel now, Steve? :rolleyes:

I'd rather wear a Beetle out by racing it than by polishing it!
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on February 27th, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Well form your own club and run your own VW show, good luck
MemberHappyDaze
A.k.a.: Greg Mackie
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Superannuated

Threads: 141

Mood: Happy enough

posted on February 27th, 2014 at 10:44 AM

He'll need a bit more than "good luck", I feel.

In my mind, cars are only 'bits of tin'.......it's the people that make a good club. Keep up the good work Steve.:tu:

I'd rather wear a Beetle out by racing it than by polishing it!
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

posted on February 27th, 2014 at 01:15 PM

Quote:

I'm with you Ben. Sh*ts me when you see 'clubs' and their hierarchy believing they are the be all and end all of the scene...

Your all welcome to join

Memberian.mezz
Wolfsburg Elder
I never said, I could write or spell

Threads: 280

Mood: Happy

posted on February 27th, 2014 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sauron
Wow, I miss one event and you guys start ripping each others throats out. What the hell's going on, take a big breath and calm down.:lol:

Hi sauron
You missed out on some good racing , Rose was disappointed that she didn’t get to race you .
It's just the usual chat that happens after a car event , some one always can do it different or better.
Dave b and Craig T are just two vw car guys that are passionate about their hobbies. :crazy:
Most of us on this forum have worked out ,just best to ignore post by female/male? user names silver
cheers ian
catch up with you at Warwick.

:lol::crazy::lol::crazy::lol:
car forums. where a lot of peoples good intentions end up taking a good old car off the road forever never ever to see the road again. :fakesniff:
MemberVWMA Editor
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 243

posted on February 27th, 2014 at 03:45 PM

Combining the VW Nationals with the VW drags is not a new idea. It was the first thing I discussed with Club VeeDub when Sydney Dragway approached me to bring the drags to NSW in 2012. A whole host of logistical issues made the union not feasible, but both parties did try.

The washout of 2013 is another good reason why Club VeeDub wisely chose to stay at Fairfield. Club VeeDub relies heavily on its annual show for revenue. The washout was unfortunate for the drags, but as the series is not designed to generate an income for VWMA (cover costs only), the event was able to eventually recover from Warwick and this years Sydney event. For Club VeeDub it would have been a total disaster.

If we all supported the shows that come to our home town, or even beyond, then there would be no need for these discussions.
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on February 27th, 2014 at 03:58 PM

Well said Craig and as for revenue its not like were making bucket loads of money, but we do give a fair amount away to charities and member benefits
MemberRodPenrose
A.k.a.: Rodney Penrose
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 330

Mood: GETTING FASTER

posted on February 27th, 2014 at 06:35 PM

Well , I am a little disappointed in my results for last weekends event . I went into the event with high expectations of my first 7 second pass after the good success on my last outing in Adelaide .

After Adelaide the engine was freshened and the same tune installed for Sydney as a start . I found the track surface to be very slippery and in turn I had no grip . I managed to get the car down the track on my first pass with a 1.37 in the 60 ft , 5.79 @ 129 1/2 track and an 8.74 @ 158 by the end .

On my 2nd pass I managed to get about 300 ft out and blew the manifold apart at the silicon joins . This was the first time that I have had an issue with the intake manifold . The tune up was modified to supply a little more power .

On the 3rd pass I got to about the same place on the track and again blew the manifold apart . This time on a closer inspection the cast IDA manifolds that bolt to the heads have cracked and broken beyond repair . I have been through the data and at this stage I will blame the tyre shake for the damage to the manifold and not the modified tune . I will now make a new inlet manifold that bolts directly to the heads and get rid of the IDA manifolds . I will also back off the clutch a little as it is a bit too harsh at the moment .

I will try to do all of this and maybe head out for a test in about a month or so .
Well done to Craig for the event , ROD.

More boost + More fuel = More power
1968 Beetle fastest run 8.96 sec @ 161 mph 4th Nov. 2001
2010 New Beetle 8.12 sec on 8th march 2014
http://www.rodpenroseracing.com.au
MemberGrey Ghost
Casual Dubber

Threads: 2

Mood: Ready to race

posted on February 27th, 2014 at 10:06 PM

We are pretty stoked about both our cars performances at Sydney despite the track being slippery in the latter part of the day but we still had some very good runs.

Steve is keen to get out again while the weather holds out here in sunny Melbourne so we might go to Calder on Friday next week for the street meet. It’s nowhere near as good as racing with our fellow VW as we have to put up with a lot idiots in street cars who just give us “shit” about our Beetles but we soon wipe the smiles of their faces when they run 14s’in their souped up “street” Commodore’s and XR Falcons and we running flat 12’s or high 11’s.

I would much rather VW only events but we can’t have them all the time. It’s always going to be a big ask to get 100 plus VW of any configuration to race on a one day event regardless of the racing discipline.

Craig dose an excellent job getting the event together and making it work with the 90 odd cars this year after last year’s two rained out dates. I have been to many bigger events with 150 plus cars and I got to say it gets rushed and you are lucky to get 4 or more passes. They wait for nobody and if your class is called up and you don’t front in the staging lane in due time, bad luck!

I will always keep going to the VW only events whenever they are organized because I much rather race against guy and girls who share the same passion as me.

I going to sound greedy but I would rather not have drag racing at the nationals over the two days because I like taking my other VW’s to the show, swapping and buying VW bits, I couldn’t do both on the same weekend successfully.

Keep up the good work Craig.
Cheers

Andrew Ermel
MemberDak-A-Tak
A.k.a.: Peter Page
Custom Title Time!
Volksie Pete

Threads: 216

Mood: faster ,faster ,Done

posted on February 27th, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Hi ! all .. why was the track so shit , Graig H may fill in . Even a poor track should be able to hold most of our cars I'm glad i didn't go , if the track crew aren't looking after the racers and there safety , Thats a huge No No , only volkswagen's cars thinking . ( hope not )

How was everyone treated by track officials ? heard there was few things ,it maybe one guy . Was it true no burnouts accross start line ? No spread of rubber , No fun , is it a time issue ?
These meetings become a real chore , if the track , officials try to run the event like a huge ANDRA meet , Portland track really wanted us there , witch gives the event great feeling to attend . I feel Sydney couldn't care less , Yes i have race at Craigs Sydney event .

Maybe it would be good , for Craig to here's what guys & Girls , racers are thinking !
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on February 28th, 2014 at 05:06 AM

Hi

I found the track officials to be nothing but courteous, but then I didn't do anything to give them the shits, one even came to find me when I didn't show for the finals as I thought I had been eliminated.

I thought burnouts past the start were OK for quicker cars, maybe I miss heard that.

Steve
Memberessex
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 5

posted on February 28th, 2014 at 05:54 AM

Yep, found the track officials great.
Membertoo cranky
A.k.a.: Darren Hobson
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 4

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Blown !!!!

posted on February 28th, 2014 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dak-A-Tak
Hi ! all .. why was the track so shit , Graig H may fill in . Even a poor track should be able to hold most of our cars I'm glad i didn't go , if the track crew aren't looking after the racers and there safety , Thats a huge No No , only volkswagen's cars thinking . ( hope not )

How was everyone treated by track officials ? heard there was few things ,it maybe one guy . Was it true no burnouts accross start line ? No spread of rubber , No fun , is it a time issue ?
These meetings become a real chore , if the track , officials try to run the event like a huge ANDRA meet , Portland track really wanted us there , witch gives the event great feeling to attend . I feel Sydney couldn't care less , Yes i have race at Craigs Sydney event .

Maybe it would be good , for Craig to here's what guys & Girls , racers are thinking !

Peter the track went off due to some delays with oil downs. At events like track championships you get more cars that are faster that help develop a groove in the track that provides better traction, this doesn't occur at any vw event as we have a larger proportion of street car out there having some fun. It certainly doesnt happen at warwick and i would be more concerned about safety issues by track officials there rather than sydney.

I know that a few of us did raise the track condition with track officials and the ANDRA official. The decision was made by a few people to no longer to continue running in those conditions.

I fully support anyone who puts there hand up and says i'm not racing as its too slippery. It certainly takes more balls to say enough is enough rather than go out and risk putting yourself in to the wall or worse still hit another car.

Peter, are you able to do across the line burnouts at willowbank? Sydney doesnt allow it and frankly it isnt needed as there is a large enough area to continue your burnout after the water. Warwick is a different track and they dont have the room between the burnout area and the start line to pull up in a controlled manner. I believe the only 2 cars that in regular competition that would be allowed to do burnouts across the line would be Wayne Penrose and Rod Penrose and that would be due to the category there vehicles are tech'd in and they race in.

The Sydney track officials were great and I wasn't aware that there was any kind of issue. You can understand there frustration though when cars that do break don't get off the racing surface but continue to drive down the track to get off at the first gate after the finish line. The officials worked hard to get us back racing again.

Perhaps we need a greater introduction or driver briefing for those who aren't regular racers to understand the importance of preparation and awareness of track processes to make these days go smoother. I understand things happen that get over looked, a line not quite done up properly, blowing out a rocker cover gasket etc, but the better prepared everyone is the less wasted time we have track day.

I have no doubt after speaking with officials that they are very supportive of our event and our cars.

Thanks to Craig for organizing the event. It isn't easy coordinating these types of things particularly from interstate.

Pages:  1  2  3  4  5

Go To Top