Author: Subject:  Our new 73 L Beetle
MemberMWH78
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 9

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Charcoal

posted on August 4th, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Our new 73 L Beetle

Here are a few pics of our "new" 73 L Beetle that arrived today (much to the excitement of our 2 and 4 year old boys).

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
MemberMWH78
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 9

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Charcoal

posted on August 4th, 2014 at 10:22 PM

The "expert" at the wrecking yard (that bought the car as cash for scrap) tried to convince us that it had no rust at all, despite my 4 year old picking it out in various places so it will need a few rust repairs around the place however it is very straight and most of the paint is actually in pretty good condition. The wheels and roof rack were a nice bonus and the engine does start very easily (although it does die pretty much as soon as you take the foot of the accelerator and has a bit of miss). Lots of suspension and brake parts have been replaced fairly recently so hopefully it wont need too much (other than rust repairs and a general tidy up) to get it on the road.
Membercnfabo
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 140

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on August 4th, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Nice work..enjoy dak dak daking around...

Fabo....
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on August 5th, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Looks pretty tidy overall. You have to consider the age, and you can see it has held up pretty well. Find a good VW experienced mechanic, and they will be able to fix little things like not idling very easily. Every now and again when our S Beetle does not idle, I just take out the idle jet, give it a quick blow out with my breath, pop it back in and off we go. My wife was shown how to do this, and has done it herself a couple times, it just takes 2 minutes. Not saying that is the reason for why yours is not idling, but it shows how simple some fixes are. You just have to accept that attention and tolerance are important with the older cars. Our boys 5 and 7 love the Beetle, and it is our only daily driver.

Go To Top