MemberHappyDaze
A.k.a.: Greg Mackie
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Superannuated

Threads: 141

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Happy enough

posted on October 14th, 2014 at 06:40 AM

On suspension set-up....I'm running a 'spool' [swing-axle box], with 4 deg. neg. on the front [trailing arms]. Also 3mm toe-out. My patented :lol: 'strut' stops the lower trailing arm from flexing, to mainain negative camber. A 25mm [2mm tube] anti-roll bar on the front, with comp. spring on the rear. Old No. 8 has never been quicker !

Cheers, Greg

P.S. Keep up the good work.....I love what you're doing. :tu:

I'd rather wear a Beetle out by racing it than by polishing it!
Memberpompom
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 8

posted on October 15th, 2014 at 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyDaze
On suspension set-up....I'm running a 'spool' [swing-axle box], with 4 deg. neg. on the front [trailing arms]. Also 3mm toe-out. My patented :lol: 'strut' stops the lower trailing arm from flexing, to mainain negative camber. A 25mm [2mm tube] anti-roll bar on the front, with comp. spring on the rear. Old No. 8 has never been quicker !

What tyres are you running with that combination?...I have to run on skinny historic tyres which have no grip, so I can get away with lots of body roll...My front ride height is so high you can get your head between the front tyre and the wing and yet it still smokes the front tyres on the bodywork when i'm giving it the beans.
MemberHappyDaze
Superannuated

posted on October 15th, 2014 at 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pompom
Quote:

What tyres are you running with that combination?...I have to run on skinny historic tyres which have no grip, so I can get away with lots of body roll...My front ride height is so high you can get your head between the front tyre and the wing and yet it still smokes the front tyres on the bodywork when i'm giving it the beans.

Good point re. tyres...currently they are Advan A050, although I have run on "skinny" tyres in the past.

Advans:-
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/happydaze8/Race%20cars/cf7fca72-d259-448c-b17f-c06a8b9a5f8c_zps369335a6.jpg
S/H Vee Tyres [2011]:-
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/happydaze8/Race%20cars/d8a200b1-f422-4f6f-a976-8d3141af7f65_zps0395a04b.jpg
Michelin 'X', [1963]:-
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/happydaze8/Race%20cars/volkswagen001_zps703c3f17.jpg

Memberpompom
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on October 15th, 2014 at 07:58 AM

I'm quite tempted to try the zero-roll rear end one day (my engine builder uses it to good effect on their Formula Vees, they use 3 dampers in total, 1 on each wheel and 1 in the centre above the gearbox linking the 2 rear wheels)

The only problem is my rules say I must use the original spring type (torsion bar) so i'll have to get inventive like binning the original torsion bars and suspending the rear end solely on a giant z-bar or something!
MemberHappyDaze
Superannuated

posted on October 15th, 2014 at 08:21 AM

Tried the 'zero-roll' a while back....scared the hell out of me. With its roll cage, etc., the Beetle is too top-heavy, compared to a Vee.

Back in 1962 I machined the rear torsion bars down by 2mm, and used a 2-leaf comp. spring...I prefer the leaf spring to the Z-bar, as it's easier to change rates [and has a lower C of G].

The Appendix J rules back then were probably even more strict than yours.:rolleyes: My rims were 5" rear [1.65x15 Michelin X], and 4" front [1.55x15].

Memberpompom
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on October 16th, 2014 at 02:03 AM

I'm sure you've probably seen this movie already...O.K. not technically zero roll but awesome just the same. (best stuff is a minute in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYQKKlir6sY 
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on October 17th, 2014 at 06:55 AM

Quote:

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/happydaze8/Race%20cars/volkswagen001_zps703c3f17.jpg

That's a pretty serious oil cooler you've got on that Greg.

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
Memberpompom
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 4th, 2014 at 04:57 AM

Here we go....end of season fun race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loDjQb3DYV8 
Membercnfabo
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 140

posted on November 4th, 2014 at 09:34 AM

Quote:

Damn man,you had some speed coming into that corner before your spin....those bloody cheese cutter tyres look like fun,he he.....would love to see some close up car pics and a pic of your Porsche fan housing.....have you run it in a once in a blue moon 30 deg heat day yet??

Fabo...

Memberpompom
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 4th, 2014 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cnfabo
Quote:

Damn man,you had some speed coming into that corner before your spin....those bloody cheese cutter tyres look like fun,he he.....would love to see some close up car pics and a pic of your Porsche fan housing.....have you run it in a once in a blue moon 30 deg heat day yet??

Fabo...

I think it was cold tyres that had me off as it's unusual for me to not be able to save a slide. One lap on the short circuit I guess isn't enough to get them warm as its basically 3 long straights.

We had to change the pulleys on the Porsche fan system after 4 races we're ruined by fanbelt issues. There wasn't time to devise a serpentine system so we fitted a 130mm bottom pulley to slow the fan down and welded a 5mm lip onto the top pulley to keep the belt on and it worked.

Not 30 degrees but 21 degrees on the day and the oil temp was fine with the slower fan. I'll take some pictures during the winter rebuild.

Do you think you'll be back out in the next 12 months??
Membercnfabo
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 140

posted on November 4th, 2014 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by cnfabo
Quote:

Fabo...

I think it was cold tyres that had me off as it's unusual for me to not be able to save a slide. One lap on the short circuit I guess isn't enough to get them warm as its basically 3 long straights.

We had to change the pulleys on the Porsche fan system after 4 races we're ruined by fanbelt issues. There wasn't time to devise a serpentine system so we fitted a 130mm bottom pulley to slow the fan down and welded a 5mm lip onto the top pulley to keep the belt on and it worked.

Not 30 degrees but 21 degrees on the day and the oil temp was fine with the slower fan. I'll take some pictures during the winter rebuild.

Yeah for sure,I only have two cruisy days left of things to do not including wet sanding and polishing and I'm booked on the 18th for a arvo tuning day at our local circuit....only 4 cars on the track at one time and can do as many laps as I want and can take my time...so fingers crossed no gremlins!!!! I won't start competing till start of next year as I need new AO50's and want to build myself a car trailer...

Fabo...
Memberpompom
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 4th, 2014 at 10:22 PM

I may do a track day (with some semi-slicks on the car) just for fun, then i'm going to strip the car down and spend next year rebuilding and testing the car.

I may enter a couple of races next year.

ian
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on November 6th, 2014 at 05:17 PM

Quote:

I guess the porsche fan suffers cavitation issues if you overspeed them just like VW fans, right?

P.s. I reckon your driving style is pretty impressive as is. Would be a much greater man than any of us that could catch that spin on cold tures. :crazy: You kept it out of wall so don't be too hard on yourself. ;)

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
Memberpompom
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 7th, 2014 at 06:23 AM

Quote:
I guess the porsche fan suffers cavitation issues if you overspeed them just like VW fans, right?

P.s. I reckon your driving style is pretty impressive as is. Would be a much greater man than any of us that could catch that spin on cold tures. :crazy: You kept it out of wall so don't be too hard on yourself. ;)

No cavitation problems as it only has 77mm barrels (lots of space between the cylinders) its just that the 911 fan/alternator combination is SO heavy that the fan cannot rev as quickly as the engine and the belt flops off. Reducing the fan speed helps a little.

Still have a lot to learn on the driving, there are still guys ahead of me with slower cars:fakesniff:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top