Author: Subject:  taken for a ride..
MemberWaterz95
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 18

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on August 21st, 2014 at 05:09 PM
taken for a ride..

Wow it is amazing how someone can do such a thing to another person, especially someone that has the same love of vw's. The idea of having a site like this is to bring people with the same interest together, and so we can help out eachother however we can whether it's just some simple advise or whatever.
Hope things work out for you and your vw.
Cheers Matt
Memberocdrbug
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 23

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple

posted on August 21st, 2014 at 06:02 PM

I don't know the person previously mentioned personally so none of this comment should be taken or misinterpreted as referrance to his reputation. what I see is a engine that has had water siting in it for a short period, other than that the rest looks in reasonable order from the pics. It looks typical of an engine that's been degressed/ washed before installing. any engine that SITS unused for any period unusd will accumulate surface corrosion in the bores unless it is pre lubed and sealed with gladwrap from my experience as a biketech. After 8 months I would of expected to take the top half off for fresh rings & head gaskets anyway before in stalling. I'D be interested to know how much you paid for it as that in itself can tell the rest of us half the story. best bet is try sorting it out privately as its unfair to ask other ppl to judge someone else with only one side of the story. :cool:

Cool is in the eye of the beholder.:punk:
Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 71

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: good

posted on August 21st, 2014 at 06:40 PM

Same thing happened to me except i paid $2500 for a imaculate type three engine. it is a shame it is nothing like the add or his discription.
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on August 21st, 2014 at 08:44 PM

what is the end play like?
What cam and crank were in it?
was the clutch new?

Did you fire up the motor when you bought it? or at least turn it over? check the end play?

a new top end thrown in and there wouldnt be much left of $1,500

P&C's..... $400??
Heads ....$400??

@ $1,500 for clutch, long block and dizzy I would have to say its a lucky dip

Whatever... that is my opinion

Futue te ipsum!!!
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on August 21st, 2014 at 09:11 PM

Seems strange to have what appears to be water in an air cooled engine? I feel your pain, as I have had things happen in my life that have turned bad, all I can do is forge ahead and focus on any good things that come along.

Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on August 21st, 2014 at 09:37 PM

Definately water is the major issue here, and an unsatisfied purchaser. Have you determined what the metal inside the cylinder is, that will be the tell tale as to what went wrong and whether the original seller had any idea of what was going wrong. Shame he hasn't come up with the promised paperwork, but sounds like a familiar story.
On a brighter note, if the end float and general condition of the bottom end seems reasonable, you could probably get away with cleaning things up, giving it a hone, some new rings and having the heads serviced. You will end up with a known engine that will give good service, mind you tho, you paid a premium price for a second hand engine, one would expect way better condition than an engine that has been full of water.:mad::mad:

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
Memberpfillery
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 160

posted on August 21st, 2014 at 09:43 PM

I'm inclined to agree with bizarre.

Was it purchased as a runner? Did you run it, check it, pull the heads off? If it was only a short motor you really are taking a punt.

No disrespect to you as the buyer but if you have had it sitting for 9 months and were uncertain of the condition at the time of purchase, what can you do? If it was degreased for sale especially if it was done minus carbs or manifold, then subsequently not run it would be likely to have gotten wet inside.

Surely finding a good running engine for an early beetle with a $1500 budget would give you a lot of options. Especially given that you weren't after originality. You can often pick up a whole donor car with running engine for less than half that. You would have been up for carbs, tinware, all the other bits too.

I can understand your frustration but see it from the sellers point of view too. It's been nearly a year.
Memberlohoon
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 67

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow

posted on August 21st, 2014 at 11:29 PM

We understand your frustration. Hope your missus is doing well. Clean the heads,lap the valves,hone the barrells, clean the pistons. Most of this stuff is a little bit of your time. It'll be fun,and you get tell everyone you freshened up the top end. The super cheap hand held sandblasting gun works a treat on heads if you've got a compressor.
Memberfish26
A.k.a.: benito
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 38

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Ken awesome

posted on August 21st, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Boomer, you definitely have your priorities right and I hope your partner is now healthy and free of that f#%$^$^& up disease.

I can offer you four used cylinders and three pistons, the fourth was kissed by a rogue valve head, your heads may clean up fine and only need a valve job and new springs.

I don't know who sold you the engine and can only offer you my help.

bitten by the bug..........several times
Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on August 22nd, 2014 at 07:39 AM

I see no care taken when the engine was in the sellers hands after he has been paid, as i stated i paid him $2500 for a type three engine with 39,000 miles on the clock,with NOS fuel injection spares which was advertised on the forum as a perfect engine , the same seller told me it was ready to install, paid him in good faith on the 28th of Feb and recieved the engine on about the 30th of July, repeated emails for him to sent it was meet with excuses, when it turned up it was dropped a three hour drive from home at a truck stop, the engine had been left open since removed from the car, type three dip stick tube, exhaust ports, the clown had broken of a rear exhaust stud removing my heater boxes then procedded to butcher the gasket face with a hack saw while still leaving the broken stud in place, replaced all the standard tin with damaged and modified tin, also forgot to tell me the case was painted red and the generator supplied is no good,, as the engine has been left in the open and i am not realy interested in spendind more money on an engine i have every right to expect to be as discribed, both by the seller verbally and in his add, i have sought legal advice, i have had an oil sample taken and have the engine with a qualified automotive engineer for accessment, i will be seaking legal redress with the individual for the return of my money and any legal costs i incurr, do not defend people like this as it is not good for our hobby, anybody interested you can email me and i will tell you who the seller is so you can avoid them in future. PS, as of today i have not received any of the parts that were supposed to come with the engine, the seller had kept them because i had not paid the truck driver, he did not know that i had sent him a bank cheque, another email promising to send them, have not arrived as of yet. will keep you posted. My ownly mistake was to be trusting,
Memberreub
Veteran Volks Folk
VWRX is gone...

No Avatar

Threads: 160

posted on August 22nd, 2014 at 09:04 AM

Sorry to read... Seems to be the way buying second hand stuff sadly unless thoroughly inspected prior.

I've been there too, buying an engine said to be one thing but being another when finally inspected (spun big end with crap through the engine).
http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/VWRXBUG/library/ej20?sort=3&page=1

Reub
Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on August 22nd, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Very sad day when you cannot trust another vdubber and a sad reflection on the person involved, just been PM'd by another victim.
MemberHappyDaze
A.k.a.: Greg Mackie
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Superannuated

Threads: 141

Mood: Happy enough

posted on August 22nd, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Although it it is starting to sound like a bad idea to be buying engines on here, I should point out it can be the opposite. Not all the apples are bad.

A while back, I bought a 2276 engine [advertised on this forum] from Ben Robinson. Ben described the engine to me, and it sounded like what I wanted for No. 8 Beetle. A quick check with Rod Penrose, and all looked good. All I had to do was fit a good ign., and smaller chokes to the 48 IDAs, and it ran [and is still running] beatifully.

Just saying not everyone is out to dud you.:no:

Hope the outcome for your good lady is a good one.:yes:

I'd rather wear a Beetle out by racing it than by polishing it!
MemberBOOMERDOG
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 25

Mood: anarchy from the U.K.

posted on August 22nd, 2014 at 12:05 PM

seller has now paid for a new piston & barrels...thanks for all replies on this subject...

admin if you want to remove this thread.. go for it..thanks..boomer

1954 street & strip oval
1967 karmann ghia
1972 type 3 fastback
1977 kombi

http://www.offdrc.co.uk/ 
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/boomeratbuffalo/skate%20shots/site_graphic-outlaw_flat_four_banne.jpg
Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on August 22nd, 2014 at 03:39 PM

I want to leave the thread open, people have a right to know, if you hasd not posted you would have not got the new barrels and pistons. happydaze iot is good you got a good buy.
MemberGovernor
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Mood: yes please

posted on August 23rd, 2014 at 06:53 AM

As above and I would not have removed all your posts either!
How does that help others who might be cosidering purchasing from that seller.
Or was it conditional that he would only buy you the parts if you removed your posts??
Memberscot70wagon
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 84

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: happy

posted on August 23rd, 2014 at 09:14 AM

No pressure has been applied to anyone. For those whose life will cease to end if they dont know all about other peoples business my number will be forwarded to them by pm after they contact me and they can discuss any issues directly with me.

ALL GOOD THINGS HAPPEN IN NEWCASTLE. JUST ASK A NOVACASTRIAN ::ninja::ninja::ninja:!!
Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on August 23rd, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Scot i am glad you replied, You are right Scot, there was no pressure to buy the engine from you, but it was bought both on you written and verbale discription. Perhaps Scot you could explain on the forum why my engine was not sent as agreed, paid on the 28th of Febuary, dropped in a truck shipping yard three hour from home on 30th of July after emailing you each time i was comming home from work, only to be given some lame excuse as to why you could not send it, type three dipstick tube not even taped up, all the exhaust ports open to the elements, broken exhaust stud with a butched gasket face, non standard tin ware, worn out gererator, my extra parts with held because you thought i did pay the freight when i did, your discription was, you will be able to fit it straight into your car with no other work and that is why i paid $2500 for engine which in reality is valued at $800.00. well it looks like i will have to disassemble the engine because the engine has been open the the elements with water ingress, please feel free to reply on this forum so no one has to contact you , as i have suggested to you , just refund my $2500 and we are all square with both of us wiser for our experence.
Memberscot70wagon
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 84

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: happy

posted on August 23rd, 2014 at 01:21 PM

Like I said you have my number. Please feel free to call me. I am more then happy to discuss it with you.

ALL GOOD THINGS HAPPEN IN NEWCASTLE. JUST ASK A NOVACASTRIAN ::ninja::ninja::ninja:!!
Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on August 25th, 2014 at 06:42 AM

I would be wasting my time as you have already stated that it was just a second hand engine and you would not give me my money back, answer the questions i posted above on an open forum and also answer how you would feel if it happened to you in your reply, thanks for replying so at least people know who i was refering to.
Memberesevwbits
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 143

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: alive!!

posted on August 28th, 2014 at 09:24 AM

i've bought plenty of parts of Scot in the past, never had an issue. buying second hand is never guaranteed! i know i'd trust scotty and if it was a dud, it wouldn't be intentional.
Memberkaiisons
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 11

Mood: Dubbin

posted on August 28th, 2014 at 04:58 PM

touch wood, I have an engine from scot - secondhand and it went up to valla and back. i know my mate has two s/h engines off scot and they are running well too.
MemberBOOMERDOG

posted on October 17th, 2014 at 09:24 AM

yeah well...update on this..the block was totally stripped by a professional engine builder,the so called '1835cc' turned out to be a 1641cc,top end was shot..including heads, bottom end revealed totally stock, no performance cam as proclaimed, oil pump drive was on the end of the cam was virtually sheared including the end of the oil pump, the crankshaft bearings were shot, the case had been lined bored once..& definitely needed doing again... the other bearings were all done, either high miles or driven really hard..plus the oil pick up tube in the sump was actually floating around loose in the sump!..wtf!
so all in I think I have got about $200 in salvageable parts from
the engine...even thought the seller paid for new pistons & barrels after all this was brought up I needed to check the bottom end of the engine as well... I am stil $1050 out of pocket.. contacted the seller..he is pretending it aint happening..i am very fucking pissed off..

let this be a warning to all potential buyers....I will not be so trusting to buy second hand... ...vw owners should not do this sort of thing to other long term enthusiasts..

wrong on all levels...

1954 street & strip oval
1967 karmann ghia
1972 type 3 fastback
1977 kombi

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/boomeratbuffalo/skate%20shots/site_graphic-outlaw_flat_four_banne.jpg
Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on October 17th, 2014 at 03:37 PM

The seller decieded to deposit $500 into my bank account withuot my concent for the parts that i had paid for, his valuation, seeing i owned them and paid for them in Febuary this made me rather angry, another email with the threat of legal action which i was prepaired to carry out resalted in another $1200 in my bank with the condition the the balance would be forth coming when he received the engine back, fat chance of that, untrustworthy to the extreme and would advise all concerned to steer well away from the individual, I still have the engine and it has cost me $800 and is probably worth it, nothing like being guilty by admittion.
MemberBOOMERDOG

posted on October 17th, 2014 at 05:17 PM

Probably the worst mistake I ever made on this forum.

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=104348&page=1 

1954 street & strip oval
1967 karmann ghia
1972 type 3 fastback
1977 kombi

Membervwo60
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on November 8th, 2014 at 06:59 PM

Just a bit of an update, finally got around to starting work on the engine today and drain the oil, remember this engine was sold to me with 43000 KLM on the clock and ready to fit to my car with no further work required, make your own mind up. lucky I have it down to $800 as I am going to have to overhaul it .

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error
Memberkarmann141
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 48

posted on November 9th, 2014 at 07:10 AM

NASTY!!!

Luckily you got some $ back from the initial price of $2,500.
Hopefully the engine is still OK - $800 is still too much if it's a dud.

Hopefully a valuable lesson learned buying a second hand engine from this individual.:no:

1961 K Ghia - Porsche 5 sp, EJ20T, Brembo's, Dble A arm susp
1974 L Bug - Porsche 944 brakes, Boxster 16's
1974 Bay Camper - EJ20, twin radiators, Boxster 16x7's
Half Beetle trailer with Boxster 16x7's
2011 Tiguan TDI 4Motion
2010 LR Discovery 4 TDV
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on November 9th, 2014 at 08:39 AM

So sad.....What about new engine suppliers that offer no warranty. Now there's another can-O-worms right there!!!!

Error

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberGovernor
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Mood: yes please

posted on November 9th, 2014 at 02:52 PM

Matt I can recommend a good engine builder. lol😜
MemberBOOMERDOG

posted on November 10th, 2014 at 09:12 AM

if I posted the pics of the inside of the bottom end of the block I got you would wince..seriously

...its that bad..it's that worn & its totally stock which was not what is was advertised as....pfft!!..it's beyond bull shit!

1954 street & strip oval
1967 karmann ghia
1972 type 3 fastback
1977 kombi

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top