[ Total Views: 1815 | Total Replies: 5 | Thread Id: 107429 ]
Author: Subject:  Grey colour of steering Column, Handbrake handle
MemberPacific-Dubber
Commited Dubber

Threads: 16

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on October 19th, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Grey colour of steering Column, Handbrake handle

I have a Lotus White '67,(same as '62 shell, with a vertical spare) and am now up to painting the Handbrake and steering column.

They're a Light Grey colour, but I am after the colour name and paint code so I can get some mixed. I have read some colours on thesamba.com, but I doubt the colours are the same as here in AUS.

Also does anyone know what colour the floor pan is? (Hint: Its not black). Its a very dark grey but again, what's the name and code?

Thanks in advance.

Ian
Memberviiking
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 58

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on October 22nd, 2014 at 09:24 PM

All the year's VW are on the Glasurit website:

http://coloronline.glasurit.com/index.php.  It takes a bit of manoeuvring around to find the right colours and they are in German. Your Lotus White (Lotto Weiss) is L282.

From the Samba website it indicates that the colour of the 67 handbrake etc is L43 - a grey black (grau schwarz?). But the list is by chassis number so check it out.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php 

I too am researching the colours. Mine is a Lotus White 68. When pulling the body off the pan, the pan has lost its colour but the pan under the body gasket is a dark grey which I assume is the L43 grey black. It is definitely not black.

If you research the Glasurit site a bit more especially when you find the colour you want and then at the bottom of the page press next, you will get an exact colour mixture which I believe any good automotive paint company can match.
Memberviiking
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 58

posted on October 22nd, 2014 at 09:27 PM

So for L43 the colour mixture is:

Target for one litre
Base Amount Cumulative UNIT
M0 196.9 196.9 g
M26 726.8 923.7 g
M5 61.0 984.7 g
M60 30.5 1015.2 g
MemberGovernor
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 23

Mood: yes please

posted on October 22nd, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I am afraid the details on Thesamba and on the Glasurit site are incorrect for Australia
We used Balm/Dulux paints and so therefore the German Glasurit will not be the same for Australian painted cars.
The colours might be close but the variations in pigments used means you cannot use the German formulations
Membercoletrickle
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 34

posted on October 23rd, 2014 at 07:58 AM

i worked on a 21 deluxe resto yrs ago and the grey/green colour for the colum handbrake assy was unavaliable,we were using speis hecker and thd pigments were nla or they reassigned the code can't rembef exactly so they dropped the colour.I had to colour match it but in the end the effect was fabtastic,beige grey and sealing wax red andthe green/grey,Do n't give up chase it down get a sample ad get it matched and dont belive the paint code til you spray it out to confirm it pait codes dont change sometiimex exceppt for a year aftdr the code ie L90 and L90 74 one colour mixed local supplier looked a littoe yellow,i put that dow to fresh vs aged i thd aussie sun ,had the full amount mixed at head office and it had a digital printed label that had the 74 at the end.Went back to them llocal shop mixed the first L90 on the puter which had the year in the sub info,the hand written label jjst said L90 digital L90 74,both nice but diffrent,moral home work.It's worth it in the end causd you'll be at a show an some nerd probally me will call you on the incorrect colours.
MemberPacific-Dubber
Commited Dubber

Threads: 16

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on October 24th, 2014 at 05:50 AM

Thanks and,
You're right, you have to look. I have got some conventional enamel colour matched. No use trying colours. It turns out being a $30 mistake for 500mls these days.

Hopefully the weather will hold and I can paint the parts this weekend. 20+C and lower humidity.

Cheers,

Ian

Quote:
Originally posted by coletrickle
i worked on a 21 deluxe resto yrs ago and the grey/green colour for the colum handbrake assy was unavaliable,we were using speis hecker and thd pigments were nla or they reassigned the code can't rembef exactly so they dropped the colour.I had to colour match it but in the end the effect was fabtastic,beige grey and sealing wax red andthe green/grey,Do n't give up chase it down get a sample ad get it matched and dont belive the paint code til you spray it out to confirm it pait codes dont change sometiimex exceppt for a year aftdr the code ie L90 and L90 74 one colour mixed local supplier looked a littoe yellow,i put that dow to fresh vs aged i thd aussie sun ,had the full amount mixed at head office and it had a digital printed label that had the 74 at the end.Went back to them llocal shop mixed the first L90 on the puter which had the year in the sub info,the hand written label jjst said L90 digital L90 74,both nice but diffrent,moral home work.It's worth it in the end causd you'll be at a show an some nerd probally me will call you on the incorrect colours.

Go To Top