Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1500 | Total Replies: 30 | Thread Id: 107484 ]
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject:  Driving standards at an all-time low.
MemberHappyDaze
A.k.a.: Greg Mackie
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Superannuated

Threads: 141

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Happy enough

posted on October 26th, 2014 at 08:26 AM
Driving standards at an all-time low.

I just looked at the photo of Steve's son's car, and can't believe people who drive like that are allowed on the road. Please post it here, Steve.

Every day there are news items about cars running into houses, killing innocent pedestrians, etc. What the hell is going on???? I've been driving for rearly 60 years, and have never seen such bad examples of driving as I have seen lately.

Is it too easy to get a licence? Are driving skills not regarded as important any more? Do we just accept mediocrity, or that cars will just 'run off the road' by themselves?

All motor vehicles, and roads, are much better than ever before....therefore the problem has to be drivers!

My rant for to-day....

I'd rather wear a Beetle out by racing it than by polishing it!
Memberfish26
A.k.a.: benito
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 38

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Ken awesome

posted on October 26th, 2014 at 03:11 PM

I agree, no chances one strike and watch your car being crushed.

Young punk inexperienced drivers full of bravado not yet paying tax and being fuckwits on the road with high powered vehicles.

Bring back compulsory enlistment, that'll sort most guys out, teach them about responsibility, discipline and respect.

bitten by the bug..........several times
Membervlad01
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 109

Mood: Side ways

posted on October 26th, 2014 at 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyDaze
I just looked at the photo of Steve's son's car, and can't believe people who drive like that are allowed on the road. Please post it here, Steve.

Every day there are news items about cars running into houses, killing innocent pedestrians, etc. What the hell is going on???? I've been driving for rearly 60 years, and have seen such bad examples of driving as I have seen lately.

Is it too easy to get a licence? Are driving skills not regarded as important any more? Do we just accept mediocrity, or that cars will just 'run off the road' by themselves?

All motor vehicles, and roads, are much better than ever before....therefore the problem has to be drivers!

My rant for to-day....

Not sure, sure is damn hard to get a license these days.

The shit my younger siblings had to go though to get theirs where I just missed out and was still on the old system.

Ls with no amount of logged hours required Ps for 2 years and automatically full license.

now its minimum logged 120 hours with nazi strict rules. fudge the log book any amount and you have to start again. P for 4 years now? (red green thing)

Not sure whats going on nor have I seen anything elsewhere as I don't follow any media and haven't for many years but have noticed a huge amount of careless and dangerous driving from 50+ drivers locally in the last few years but thats just my area.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/vladk01/notch04.png
71 notchback,
Past owner of, 70 NB, 73 SB and 72 FB TLE
Memberlandfall
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 36

posted on October 26th, 2014 at 04:02 PM

Gadgets and complicated vehicles.

A bit hard to concentrate on driving while checking the iPhone, GPS, iPad, finding out which damn switch does what and why is that particular noise emitting from the dash?

Add that to the 25" widescreen all in everything in the middle of the dash and you have a recipe for disaster.

Plus, just for good measure the majority of driving schools teach one thing and one thing only. HOW TO PASS THE DRIVING TEST!

Nothing to do with driving skills, just pass the test and if you survive the next six months, everything should be OK.

There you have my rant as an ex driving instructor and owner of a driving school that refused to teach people to just pass a driving test.
MemberMY68VW
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 25

Mood: fresh metal

posted on October 26th, 2014 at 04:55 PM

Everyone should have to pass an advanced drivers course to get their full license.

There's little point in teaching people how to pass a test if they're not taught how to drive.

Tuned Type IV power - shaking out the rust.
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on October 26th, 2014 at 05:14 PM

My boys will be going on driving courses before I let them drive on the road. I will also make them aware of what is around them, not what is in their lap. They will also be taught to get out of an idiot unresponsible drivers car and call me anytime and I will pick them up.

Membersilver
Veteran Volks Folk
Dangerous when poked

Threads: 162

Mood: In 2 Minds

posted on October 26th, 2014 at 05:38 PM

My Daughters both attended Ian Luffs Drive to survive course..for L drivers
2 days tuition 1 in the classroom 1 on the road cost $140 ...cant believe how cheap it was and its worth 20 hours in the book
I believe this type of course should be compulsory
my daughter passed her test 1st time, the certificate from Luffs course was duly noted by the examiner.

Keeping it real !
Membergrumble

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on October 26th, 2014 at 06:56 PM

Quote:

Every day there are news items about cars running into houses, killing innocent pedestrians, etc. What the hell is going on???? I've been driving for rearly 60 years, and have seen such bad examples of driving as I have seen lately.

My rant for to-day....

Greg unfortunately the do gooders have got us stuffed,we have writers for the underprivileged or uneducated,translators for the people who can't speak,read or write english and various others who help the people who shouldn't be driving get a licence and we also have the boneheads who just don't have a licence and still drive anyway. When I was a young bloke the police sort of knew most of the young blokes and would pull us up have a word and kick us up the dinger if they deemed it necessary,we learnt quickly and didn't do it again,these days unfortunately
they have no respect for authority.
Membervlad01

posted on October 26th, 2014 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by landfall
Gadgets and complicated vehicles.

A bit hard to concentrate on driving while checking the iPhone, GPS, iPad, finding out which damn switch does what and why is that particular noise emitting from the dash?

Add that to the 25" widescreen all in everything in the middle of the dash and you have a recipe for disaster.

Plus, just for good measure the majority of driving schools teach one thing and one thing only. HOW TO PASS THE DRIVING TEST!

Nothing to do with driving skills, just pass the test and if you survive the next six months, everything should be OK.

There you have my rant as an ex driving instructor and owner of a driving school that refused to teach people to just pass a driving test.

Oh yeah, forgot about new cars and their complicated over the top controls for the most basic functions.

That wouldn't help with any driving situation.

71 notchback,
Super Administrator

Rank Avatar

posted on October 26th, 2014 at 09:20 PM

We have three cars in our stables. None of them have Accessory position on the ignition, as they have no accessories. Start, lights, wipers, horn. That's it. There is too much for some people to comprehend on modern cars.

Membercnfabo
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 140

posted on October 26th, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Quote:

Every day there are news items about cars running into houses, killing innocent pedestrians, etc. What the hell is going on???? I've been driving for rearly 60 years, and have never seen such bad examples of driving as I have seen lately.

My rant for to-day....

Where do I find the photo??
Memberbeetleboyjeff
A.k.a.: Jeff Walsh
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 40

Mood: Drive bugs hard

posted on October 27th, 2014 at 12:38 AM

There is a picture of it on here - http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=85894&page=25 

From your ole' mate Jeff
Membervlad01

posted on October 27th, 2014 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by helbus
We have three cars in our stables. None of them have Accessory position on the ignition, as they have no accessories. Start, lights, wipers, horn. That's it. There is too much for some people to comprehend on modern cars.

yeah even my most modern car has the basic plus few extras compared to classics.

start
lights
horn
indicators
hazards
wipers/washer
fan/heater

modern features

radio (cassette deck!)
cruise control
electric mirrors
A/C
and a speed alert which I can set at 195km/h lol, this is a new feature I never seen before.

then the vw is just the same as the basics list above.

I've driven many hire cars and i can say that most are confusing to work out where the basics are that were standard configuration since the 50s

There was one, can't recall what make but there wasn't a head light switch, I couldn't work out how to turn the lights on then found it was automatic when it got dark. who the f**k would want automatic headlights?

a hyundai I drove wouldn't let me steer where I wanted :crazy: the steering kept trying to override what I wanted to do. just awful and scary.

on a ford focus the wipers where bs! its had this variable speed dial that was extremely sensitive that you had to use to set the wiper speed. I spent ages are lights trying to get it to work with no avail.

These are real problems for the driver. This is what happens when you have fashion designers design cars instead of engineers.

71 notchback,
MemberAllbones

Threads: 58

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on October 27th, 2014 at 10:50 AM

My biggest gripe is that everyone drives so self righteously. It's never their fault, always someone elses. No one looks out for anyone but themselves, and the sad part is that if you do try to accomodate others, you end up nearly crashing anyway because they dont know how to merge or can't maintain speed... :grind: :grind: :grind:

Infuriating.
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 559

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on October 27th, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Hi

Saturday night some guy jumped in his car, hit 3 cars in his street, then hit my sons Skyline then drove anther 200 metres with both his front wheels hanging off the car and hit another car and then crashed into someone's front yard, all in very quiet Lugarno.

Car wasn't worth much, its just all the bits on it including the rare SSR wheels he had on that are valuable.

Steve

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error
MemberHappyDaze
Superannuated

posted on October 27th, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Thanks Steve.

"Car wasn't worth much".What if David had been getting in or out of the car at the time?..... Doesnt bear thinking about.:grind:

Memberdonn
Wolfsburg Elder

Threads: 428

Mood: LAID BACK AND CONFUSED

posted on October 27th, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Ha ha and the blue triangle to indicate the battery location, must be a riceing car, I assumme he was drunk or off his face on some drugs. Fwit :grind::grind::td:
Oops, sorry, I thouught the red car was the one driven by the perpetrator of the crime.

I dream of a day when a chicken can cross a road without being asked for it's motive!
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on October 27th, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Hi

Greg, my wife was dropped of by friends 10 minutes before this happened, this idiot could have hit her or her friends.

Donn, the car was primarily used for drifting, so its a ricer car that as made in Melbourne.

Were looking at replacements now, most likely a Nissan Cefiro, very rice.

Steve

Error
Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 50

Mood: Old School Volksies!

posted on October 27th, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Really sorry to hear about that Steve.
Some of those parts are bloody hard to find in this country (I've had a few whizz-bangs!), so I feel for your young bloke.

I've used this bloke for some decent parts, excellent quality of service, although your son may have his own contacts.
http://jessestreeter.com/ 
I've actually got old VW bits ex-Japan from him too in the past. Just saying.........
:smilegrin:
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on October 27th, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Hi

He bought all his wheels through jessestreeter.com via Yahoo Japan, great guy to deal with

Steve
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on October 27th, 2014 at 01:25 PM

sorry to hear steve,
hopefully it ends well

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
Membervlad01

posted on October 27th, 2014 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allbones
My biggest gripe is that everyone drives so self righteously. It's never their fault, always someone elses. No one looks out for anyone but themselves, and the sad part is that if you do try to accomodate others, you end up nearly crashing anyway because they dont know how to merge or can't maintain speed... :grind: :grind: :grind:

Infuriating.

oh dont get me started on merging!!!

Sometime i wish I'd just t bone people to teach them a lesson but that would make me a bad as them and i'd wreck my car.

71 notchback,
MemberAA003
A.k.a.: Phill
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 39

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2

posted on October 28th, 2014 at 06:51 PM

You should see the drivers here in Bowral. Old farts in Volkswagens everywhere!:lol:

I read it on samba, so it must be correct.

Sometimes Volkswagen dealers sell spare parts. Amazing isn't it!:lol:
MemberHappyDaze
Superannuated

posted on October 28th, 2014 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AA003
You should see the drivers here in Bowral. Old farts in Volkswagens everywhere!:lol:

That's why I avoid the area. :yes:

Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on October 30th, 2014 at 09:10 PM

Hi

Well the good news is a family friend of the guy who ran into my sons car has paid him out, $2000 for the car and $2000 for the wheels and he gets to strip the wreck.

Steve
MemberHappyDaze
Superannuated

posted on October 31st, 2014 at 06:52 AM

That's a help, Steve.......but the idiot will still be out there.

Perhaps his "family friend" will also shout him some proper driving lessons :?:

Memberlandfall

No Avatar

Threads: 36

posted on October 31st, 2014 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
That's a help, Steve.......but the idiot will still be out there.

Perhaps his "family friend" will also shout him some proper driving lessons :?:

Wouldn't necessarily help!

Trust me, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I had a few students over the years that in the end I told their parents that they where wasting their money and I would know longer teach.
Super Administrator

Rank Avatar

posted on November 1st, 2014 at 05:38 PM

Simple things like. Actually stopping at a stop sign, and stopping before the White line (not half way over it) are not something a lot of drivers care about these days.

I pose something to all AVD forum members who care to look.

Check out the following link and videos and think about whether you think about the road rules. It is Vic oriented, however much of it is relevant to all of the country.

Vic Road rules videos

Super Administrator

Rank Avatar

posted on November 1st, 2014 at 05:55 PM

I dont think the Hook turn and Tram video's will help anyone not in inner Melbourne.

Still simple things that I was taught and still adhere to like making sure I allow 3 clicks of the indicator before moving, and a turn of my actual physical head and eyeballs to do a head check, before changing lanes.

Using my eyeballs to check before and double check while reversing. Yep never reversed into anyone.

2 seconds rule following behind other cars. Worked well, as I have been driving 23 years and never run into the back of anyone. Trust me, there has been a number of hard braking episodes, and my distance has saved me.

Membervlad01

posted on November 1st, 2014 at 07:10 PM

here is 3 tips I leaned myself that no one taught me.

1. when pulling out of a parallel park nearest to an intersection thats behind you. do a head check of the left rear of your car as you can't see drivers turning left out of that intersection while you pull out.

I have found cars appear out of no where even though a head check of the rear right and all mirrors were used. They came from the intersection.

2. depending on your car blind spots. When changing lanes from right to left in urban areas with street lights. Watch out for black cars sitting left and slightly behind you. Impossible to see in those lighting conditions even if you are doing a headcheck whilst moving across. I advise move slowly across and play by ear even if you are sure there is no one there. I have had this happen and lucky i moved slow across and heard them beep but still couldn't see where they were until they dropped back til the headlights appeared in the rear mirror. The street lights scattering on my cars glass is brighter than black cars in the street light. So they are not visible at all even though I am literally looking at the car. The head lights were mounted low on this old car so they were under my mirror view, low beam as well.

Something like that really makes you think.

3. face door mirrors out until passing cars appear to as one vehicle across any mirror at any given time. Basically as hald the car is in the rear view mirror, the other half should be in the door mirror, should be like this for either left or right door mirrors. There should be absolute minimum image overlap on 2 mirrors.

So when a car passes you you see it move from rear to side mirror, to peripheral vision without gaps. basically 360º surround vision without needing to do heach check, but doesn't mean you should not do them as you still can miss cars and bikes.

This setup eliminates blind spots from (car dependent, doesn't work on new cars with tiny windows and cathedrals pillars) lane distance onward but still has some blind spots within your own lane, so motorbike rider?

Anyway I have never not seen motor bike riders and cars during day time with this setup. its fantastic. unlike the conventional "door mirrors to the back quarters view " that gets taught to everyone. Someone on thesamba told me this and its fantastic! highly recommend it.

71 notchback,
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top