Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on February 5th, 2015 at 09:05 PM

Gunnedah sounds like a good alternative
Memberdragvw2180
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 33

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on February 5th, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Let me see , a dead ended road , a flagger and a video camera at the finish line. An emergency vehicle just in case. As big as that country is it should exist. Just sayin , LOL Mike
Membernbturbo
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Powder

posted on February 6th, 2015 at 05:34 AM

Could you just imagine if that happened and the Coppers found out- the Court Case would go on for ever and the PC pricks would have a field day. Wonder what the PC lobby group would target from that- perhaps we should be able to buy fuel with a maximum 50 octane rating to try and prevent it happening again. A quote"PC is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,illogical minority and promoted by mainstream media- that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end" Rant over
MemberSuper1302

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on February 6th, 2015 at 07:21 AM

maybe we need to broaden the offer to an All Euro drag day, that might please them, will we get more numbers - hell knows. at least a try.
Might need to spread the word through the community to possibly have a chance, just an outside the square moment.
MemberHappyDaze
A.k.a.: Greg Mackie
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Superannuated

Threads: 141

Mood: Happy enough

posted on February 6th, 2015 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbturbo
Could you just imagine if that happened and the Coppers found out- the Court Case would go on for ever and the PC pricks would have a field day. Wonder what the PC lobby group would target from that- perhaps we should be able to buy fuel with a maximum 50 octane rating to try and prevent it happening again. A quote"PC is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,illogical minority and promoted by mainstream media- that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end" Rant over

Makes sense, Gary, except for the last bit.....my Beetle hasn't got a "clean end".

I'd rather wear a Beetle out by racing it than by polishing it!
Memberdragvw2180

Threads: 33

posted on February 6th, 2015 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbturbo

I am a bad influance, LOL The punishment here is extreme here also and they will confiscate your car if they had a bad day.
Memberhellbugged
A.k.a.: Daimo Pell
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

Threads: 116

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Couldn't care less

posted on February 6th, 2015 at 09:43 AM

Willowbank?
MemberHotRodMatt
Wolfsburg Elder
If it's old or rare - cut it!

Threads: 361

posted on February 6th, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Or race at Day Of The Drags, a small niche event still running...

http://www.sydneydragway.com.au/events/day-of-the-drags-2015/ 
Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 50

Mood: Old School Volksies!

posted on February 6th, 2015 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dragvw2180
I am a bad influance, LOL

Nup. You just remember how it used to be obviously! :lol:

The chosen mantra has been "new and shiny" for a while now.
Hotrod's idea is good though, tack onto an event already going, then ask for your own staging lane to be a part of it all.

I still like Craig's idea though, 1/8 mile country tracks (airports are fun too!), great atmosphere.
Membersander288
Custom Title Time!
"Bolt-on Master"

Threads: 183

Mood: This is my bug. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

posted on February 6th, 2015 at 01:09 PM

what about somewhere like Cootamundra? They already have the VSCCA Sprints there in September....

The town is near Canberra, and only a few hours down the hume from Sydney or Melbourne

BMW R65 LS
1967 1300 Deluxe
Swing-axles FTW :!:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x463/sander19671988/4201806984_a2d051587f_o.jpg
MemberHotRodMatt
Wolfsburg Elder
If it's old or rare - cut it!

Threads: 361

posted on February 6th, 2015 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by modnrod
Hotrod's idea is good though, tack onto an event already going, then ask for your own staging lane to be a part of it all.

No, like other VW's that have competed (some almost every year since two friends and I started the event more than a decade ago) you race with everyone else.

A tough VW beating a hemi powered rod or a muscle car is much better for VW drag racing than a beetle racing a kombi.
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on February 6th, 2015 at 01:13 PM

I will feel dirty giving them money next time I go to WSID and I will only go there for testing from now on
MemberStanley
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
I guess the reward is in the doing of it

Threads: 270

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Grey
Mood: caught a bolt of lightning cursed the day I let it go

posted on February 6th, 2015 at 08:23 PM

I heard the dude causing the issues at WSID is from Willowbank however there has always been controversy going on at WSID.
Me, I feel for Craig, He's done more for VW dragracing than anyone as far I'm aware.
At the end if the day WSID won't get any of my money now. Qld has some great tracks and great racing. Between Willowbank and the many 1/8th regional tracks within a few hours from Brisbane why would I travel to WSID now. Shame on you WSID.
Membersplitbusbay
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 17

Mood: Just happy to be here.

posted on February 7th, 2015 at 05:12 PM

I recently posted a ‘drag bug project wanted’ request on the forum, and after receiving a fabulous response … I’m a bit disillusioned, as assuming we were successful in getting a car up and running (now postponed due to a little income issue!), I was seriously looking forward to participating in a Sydney based VWMA event.

For decades NSW was without a suitable venue then final along came Sydney Dragway. Now a decade on the hierarchy is telling us that they’re doing so well as motorsport complex, they can afford to turn business away … or at least in our case, resort to extortionary tactics with a ‘take it or leave it’ ultimatum.

Craig, my heart goes out to you. As Stanley rightly states, you’ve devoted a considerable amount of time and effort to nurture and promote VW drag racing in this country, and you’ve actually achieved a phenomenal result.

Aside to the frustration and anger felt by all, there is something fundamentally wrong here. QuikBug’s comment is absolutely right … it’s more than fair to assume that within recent months a contract was signed by VWMA and SD’s management for the event in question. Obvious comment, but such a contract is a binding agreement between the motorsport facility and the event promoter that although potentially subject to minor revision or amendment, cannot be changed substantially, let alone cancelled.

Considering the event is/was scheduled to run a fortnight from today, they’ve got a bloody hide. Admittedly there is probably more to this than meets the eye, but I would have seriously considered legal intervention before walking away.

During the early ‘90s I was directly involved in the running of Oran Park Motorsport, initially in a media role, then as Motorsport & Media Director. The annual events calendar featured Gp. A and 2 Litre touring cars, truck racing, restricted club meetings, various drive days, test and tune days and driver training conducted by performance driving schools … and was completely locked in before the end of the first quarter.

It goes without saying that in regard to open and restricted meetings … eleventh hour changes, hikes in entry fees and/or related costs or outright cancellation of events simply didn’t happen.

To add insult to injury, if you go to Events on the SD site, the greedy, albeit incompetent bastards still have the VWMA February 21 event featured in the banner atop the page. I appreciate that the VW community is fairly tightknit, but it’s inevitable there’ll be punters lined up at the gates on the 21st, chasing a little VW action. Not a good result.

Regarding NSW alternatives, having had a little to do with it, Cassar Park is still a way off yet … but I sincerely hope it becomes THE venue for the NSW drag racing fraternity, in time to come.

Bring back Brickies!!!

Chris.
MemberVWMA Editor
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 243

posted on February 7th, 2015 at 06:26 PM

Ultimately, legal action or otherwise, a successful outcome would still result in me having to work with the new Sydney Dragway management team, which I would rather not do at this stage. This comical exercise has renewed my efforts to support the small drag clubs who will always put the sport of drag racing first. It's also spurred me on to finish my dragster and get back to enjoying racing and competing, rather than being dragged (excuse the pun) through boardrooms and useless red tape.
Membersplitbusbay
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 17

Mood: Just happy to be here.

posted on February 7th, 2015 at 07:50 PM

I’m hearing you Craig … and I agree wholeheartedly.

Even if they responded favourably to any form of pressure and the meeting went ahead as per the original agreement, you’d still have to work with them, which wouldn’t have been pleasant at all.

To do what they’ve done at this late stage is extremely unprofessional, with nil regard to the promoter and/or competitors alike. I’d be interested to hear ANDRA’s take on this.

They obviously couldn’t give a toss about the time and money spent by you to organise, manage and promote the event, or by the numerous competitors in preparing their cars, arranging leave to travel, the booking of accommodation by intra and interstaters and so on.

I’m somewhat of an outsider to all this, but being mindful of the impact this type of arrogant, pigheaded decision has, I felt compelled to vent my spleen. What goes ‘round, comes ‘round … we’ll wait and see.

The strategy moving forward sounds good. Support the likes of Warwick and Portland and get back to your own projects and enjoy the racing.

I hope to be part of it in time to come.

Cheers,

Chris.
Memberdavidoconnor
Commited Dubber

Threads: 7

posted on February 7th, 2015 at 09:25 PM

Hi Craig,
Was a contract actually signed regarding the conditions of securing the track for this event? Were any conditions for cancellation outlined in that document?
MemberQuikBug
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 0

posted on February 8th, 2015 at 06:13 PM

I'm with you Dave re the contract.

I can not believe that the management of a professional track as is WSID would attempt to dishonour a contract.

I think this is a classic example of everyone just taking one persons version of a story and running with it with out stoping for one second to think that perhaps there is more to the story.

Come on Craig was there a contact for the hire of the track to run the VWMA event in the Sydney as advertised or not ?

What were these compromises you talk about ?
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on February 8th, 2015 at 06:36 PM

Management changed

the contract goes out the window

MemberQuikBug
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on February 8th, 2015 at 07:28 PM

Dave a new employee does not negate a contract.

Anyhow I would really like to have Craig answer the question !
MemberVWMA Editor
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 243

posted on February 8th, 2015 at 07:38 PM

It would be unprofessional for either I or Sydney Dragway to discuss details of a business contract on a public forum. I also find the suggestion that I may not be giving a full and frank account of proceedings as ludicrous. Such comments could only be made by someone who has not spent the last 10 years developing a one make series for the VW drag racing community in this country. Step up to the plate sometime and see what it takes to keep it all running.
MemberQuikBug
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on February 8th, 2015 at 08:24 PM

Craig I simply asked if you signed a contract with WSID for the VWMA drag series as advertised by you for 2015.

I did not ask for specific details of the contract.

A simple yes or no answer would suffice. I believe you could not have had a contract as I have stated I do not believe the track would be able to renege on a contract.

I think Rose is more on the money with the numbers thing she spoke about earlier in the post, there simply was not the numbers for you to run the event and make money.

This is just my opinion and you can correct me if you like.

It would be great to get a representative of WSID to comment on this topic !
MemberPerformance Upholstery

Threads: 10

posted on February 8th, 2015 at 08:32 PM

Hey quickbug, who the hell are you to call Craig a liar?? If people like you are going to come down like this on Craig after everything he has done for the vw racing scene in Australia he might just pack it up and stop doing it completely... If he wasn't serious about this event do you think he would have driven the 24hr round trip to get shafted by these guys??? Lets just hope there isn't too many more people like you around to question Craig's integrity and dedication to the sport... We still have at least one event for now. Dont be the one to lose that for us... At the end of the day, No Craig, no vw warwick. Give him a break.

Performance Upholstery
Cars, boat seats, furniture and more!
performanceupholstery@live.com.au
Mt Gravatt east Qld.
Memberwhathaveidone
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 98

Mood: Heading for 10.99

posted on February 8th, 2015 at 08:45 PM

So mr Quikbug, do you have a real name??? Do you race??

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z443/whathaveidone1/GetAttachment.jpg
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top