Author: Subject:  Noobie Question about battery charging
Memberjamesbond
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 12

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on April 2nd, 2015 at 10:55 PM
Noobie Question about battery charging

Hey Folks, I have a Noobie question about battery/Electrical issue I have with my 1600 VW. On the way home form my mechanic I put the headlights on as it was late afternoon, i noticed after about 30 mins the blinkers were a bit intermittent and the horn was 1/2 loud. When i got home (About a 40 Min drive) the car had no charge to start engine. The battery was flat. I had to jump start it, The battery was flat. I assume from having the headlights on???. battery is not charging - i assume? So to me (who knows nothing about 12 volt electrical system) there is a fault with the the thing that charges the battery. Regulator? Alternator? or something else????? Can you explain to me What i need fixing/servicing? I assume a visit to an Auto elec? Any advise appreciated. Central Coast NSW - Jr
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on April 2nd, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Depending on whether your Beetle has a generator or alternator, it will be easy for an Auto elec to fix, it just will vary the cost. It may be something simple like a loose connection. If it is a full reco, then it may cost a couple hundred. The Auto Elec should have the diagnostic equipment and experience to find the problem.

MemberPerezoso
Commited Dubber

Threads: 10

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on April 4th, 2015 at 04:20 PM

Where abouts on the coast? If near the entrance check out long jetty auto electrical on the main road in long jetty.

72 super beetle
74 rat panel van

Go To Top