A.k.a.: Bronze
Custom Title Time!
Minister of Volkswagenism

Threads: 238

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Enlightened.

posted on October 8th, 2002 at 10:45 PM
\ Just a blurb /

Spent the first three days of my holidays studying the ins and outs of a 71' inner hubs braking system and axel sealing.

The symptoms were that everytime I'd run over the speed bump coming into my Stratatitle home I could heap this knocking / sorta metal on metal grinding going on in the rear left drum.

The signs were the copious amounts of oil pouring out of the trans and flowing down the inner wall of the hub, filling the rim and then pooling on the driveway.

Anyhow I had to take the Dog-O-War (71 baja) off the road as it was just becoming far too dangerious with the brakes diminishing as well.
After a week of being packed in the back of the wifes Ford Telstar with the kids I was well motivated to get it fixed. All the Bug shops quoted areound the $300+ mark and said they might be able to fit it in sometime in the next two weeks. Only one really helped me with advice, parts, tips and patience even though he was very busy himself servicing customers.

After researching the Idiots Guide, the workshop manual and picking the brains of those who have been down this road before I set forth. Bought the tools I needed (36mm socket, 1/4 " brace, borrowed pipe for a breaker bar and a harmonic balancer to pull the bearing) I jacked the dog up and proceeded to take it a part.

The axel nuts on both side were hand tight and didn't need the socket, and the reason the oil was leaking out was because the 14mm nut holding the bearing assembly and seal together were not only lose on both sides but the lower two bolts on the left had come completely undone and were rubbing on the inner hub. This was the rubbing metal noise. Forunately I had stopped driving it when I did but even though one bolt that had nearly all but fallen out had been bent from the hub itself.

The gaps where the oil wasn't noticeable because every time I had come into my driveway the swing axel would rise up with the wheel tucked in from the speed bump and close the gap.

Anyhow, to make a long story short I replaced the gaskets and seals, brake cylinders, exchanged the shoes, cleaned out all the excess oil and sealed them up super tight. I couldn't get the bearings out at all but that can be for another holiday perhaps.

For now I'm just ha[[y to be back on the road, dak daking away and kepping my oil to myself.

Thanks must go to the local VW centres who entertained me with the thought that they might be able to fit me in but I would like to give a Special thanks to Ben Durie (and his lovely lady) who would take the time to answer my questions and provide me with reasonably priced parts. He might have missed out on a $300+ job but he's certianly gained himself a long term client for the future.
Thankyou Ben.

The Bronze.

Pic 1 - Whoops!

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, NSW.
MemberThe_Bronze.
A.k.a.: Bronze
Custom Title Time!
Minister of Volkswagenism

Threads: 238

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Enlightened.