Insano Dub Head
Yeah Buddy

Threads: 122

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: Hungry for another 676cc

posted on June 11th, 2015 at 08:50 PM
Project Peanut: Part 2 - Trailer Time

Hey guys, Just a quick heads up!

Whilst this is obviously a build thread, I'm going to attempt to make it into more of long story, rather than just 'another build thread'. I enjoy writing, so I may as well do something with that and combined two passions into one! So feel free to comment away and ask anything you want, and I'll be trying to keep it regular and entertaining along the way!

Cheers,
Ollie

----

It's pretty rare these days that anything is done for free.

Everything seems to come at a price: whether it be measured in monetary value or some sort of agreed future deal, everything seems to owe something, to someone...

I was asked about a year ago by a friend at work if I was interested in purchasing an old beetle off him.
The story went that he has inherited a beetle from a passing Uncle, who had spent some time fixing bits and pieces before his death.
I was told he knew of his fate, and as a result, all he wanted before he passed was a beetle to tinker with and restore. Unfortunately, death is a cruel mistress, and she came for him before he had the chance to see it back onto the road, so it came into the possession of my friend, who, whilst interested in it, didn't share the same passion as his uncle.

He didn't know much about the beetle, other than that it was old, and has had a new paint job back in the day, but now was sitting in his grandmother's (Nonna's) garage in pieces, awaiting further care. Was I interested? No. I already had a 1969 beetle and wasn't interested in another at that time.

A year passed, and I was in the midst of selling my '69 bug, when my friend approached me again, with the same question,
"Do you want the beetle?"
I still didn't know much about this mysterious beetle, but wasn't in any financial situation to be paying for another bug, so I explained how light my wallet was, and that I couldn't afford anything of the sort.
He laughed. "No mate, do you want it?"

Want it? Was he mad? No one gives away anything of value nowadays, so I figured perhaps it was a run of the mill beetle destined for the scrap heap. Curiosity had grabbed me though, so before I politely declined, I asked a single question, "What year is it again?"

"Not too sure, but its got one of those small round rear windows."

Oh...

Two days later, trailer in tow, I was on my way to Nonna's house to see If this treasure map through time would land me in a pot of Volkswagen gold.
Had I even seen a speck of proof that this Bug was the real deal?
Was he wrong?
Had I just hired a trailer to haul back my broken dreams, rather than a beautiful barn find?

I waited patiently whilst this lovely little lady laboured through her set of seemingly endless keys, before she found the one that slid into the garage lock with ease, unlocking all the secret questions that had been trapped in my mind for days...

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k627/OMClarke/IMG_0403_zpszfuhbwre.jpg

And there she was. In all her beauty. An Australian delivered, 1957 Oval Window Volkswagen Beetle. (Well, maybe not the pan, but hey, no one if perfect, right?)

Surrounded by the odour of fermenting grapes and a fine dusty mist, she stood just as she had been left, a little time capsule from years past.

Time to roll her out.
Wait, will it roll?
better turn the steering wheel to line her up just right.
Oh, no steering wheel.
OK then, lets just hope for the best.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k627/OMClarke/IMG_0404_zpshbq5pf8z.jpg

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k627/OMClarke/IMG_0408_zpsxwnjsmzj.jpg

Out under the bright morning sky, things were looking seriously promising. Even my father (who I'm sure by now, regrets taking me to my first motor show) was impressed. Sure, the guards were wrong, the tint seemed to hark back to Sydney's Sex-Spec Scene, and the colour wasn't my cup of tea, but all in all it looked straight!

Next Step? Trailer time.

Follow the Photo Fun:
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=95238 

- '70 1500 Beetle (The Clean One)
- '76 1300 Beetle (The In-between One)
- '69 1500 Beetle (The Mean One)
Memberbeetleboyjeff
A.k.a.: Jeff Walsh
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 40

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Drive bugs hard

posted on June 11th, 2015 at 09:12 PM

Bugger it Ollie, I hate reading long posts - it is usually late and I am trying to read them without nodding off before I go to bed.

HOWEVER, if this first little taste of this yarn continues in this vein, I can see a number of late nights ..... and loving every minute of it.

I already can't wait for the next instalment .........

From your ole' mate Jeff
Memberbugmaniaar
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 18

posted on June 11th, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Keep the words coming...need words on night shift.............
Membernewghia
A.k.a.: Noddy
Wolfsburg Wizard
stock is for people who cant think outside the square

Threads: 30

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Charcoal
Mood: nood !

posted on June 12th, 2015 at 05:45 AM

Great score
Steering wheel looks like it was on the table next to it :rolleyes:
Nath

Step up to get out !!!
Memberfish26
A.k.a.: benito
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 38

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Ken awesome

posted on June 12th, 2015 at 08:40 AM

Nice one mate, don't mind the colour with the right wheels and stance will look killer

bitten by the bug..........several times
Memberoldskoolguy
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 13

Mood: Ticking over nicely.

posted on June 12th, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Looks interesting. I don't mind the colour either, it's got bucketloads of potential.

"The best trophies are stone chips"
1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on June 12th, 2015 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fish26
Nice one mate, don't mind the colour with the right wheels and stance will look killer

Stance? Already looks tail up nose down to me. :lol:

Love the story... did you end up getting it for nics?

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on June 12th, 2015 at 08:05 PM

What great find, I hope somehow the old owner can share your joy when it hits the road
Memberwombatventures
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 44

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Orange
Mood: BUSted, BUGgered & NOTCHed

posted on June 13th, 2015 at 06:26 PM

You lucky B........!
Na, Congrats mate.
Lovin the colour too.

[size=5]DUBS BY THE RIVER2021[/size] Morgan SA - Sept 18-19 2021

Currently suffering from delusions of sanity!
Memberpetemart
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 18

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Charcoal

posted on June 13th, 2015 at 07:45 PM

Top score!
Get some chrome back into the window rubbers, sort the height issue out, knock an inch either end off the ball joint beam, fit a set of 4 stud Sprints and roll that bad boy!
MemberFlintstones
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 69

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on June 13th, 2015 at 08:49 PM

:tu: Congrats to you!
Can't wait for the chapters to begin....
MemberOllie
A.k.a.: Ollie Clarke
Insano Dub Head
Yeah Buddy

Threads: 122

Mood: Hungry for another 676cc

posted on June 14th, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Thanks for all the kind words! I'm still not too sure of the colour myself, but who knows, perhaps it'll rub off on me and I'll end up keeping it. Steve, I've promised the owner he will be part of the process, and happy to incorporate some of his late uncle's ideas into the finished product :) As for now, part Two...

Trailer Time.

----

I'll be honest. I'm pretty useless when it comes to fixing things myself. I'm not what you call, 'mechanically minded'.

So much so that I make my a living shooting video and making pretty pictures for people to enjoy.
The only grease my fingernails have covered have come from a tripod or light stand.
And I'm as well equipped to pass you the correct spanner in a time of need, as I am to sing a duet with Cher on a packed Vegas evening.

However, I've promised myself that I would change all that. No more would I be passing over my hard earned currency for simple jobs that could be done at home. It was time for me to become a man.

And my first test? Putting my newly acquired Bug on a car trailer.

With no Steering wheel to turn my Beetle-shaped-shell of luck, I quickly discovered that without a motor, petrol tank or interior to speak off, pivoting the tires by themselves was rather easy, and before long I had it out the drive way, across the street and lined up easily with the trailer that would take her home.
Winch? Check!
My father, brother and I made slow pace as we slowly pulled little Peanut up the precariously placed ramps, constantly checking to make sure all the wheels were on, and it wasn't going to slip off at any moment. "Yup! You're fine on this si... Oh, Wait! Ok No you're fine. Little more. Little more. Little more..."

We sounded like a poorly oiled machine. Anyone that tells you it's a piece of cake loading up a car is a liar. I don't care how many times it's done, if you care about what you're loading, there will always be moments of stress and worry.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k627/OMClarke/IMG_0417_zpsytxrew5o.jpg

After more profanities than a Hell's Kitchen Marathon, Dad, my brother and I managed to ratchet the car down (best we could!) and, much like a pilot doing his pre flight checks, we stood back to admire our handiwork.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k627/OMClarke/IMG_0414_zpsv7dbrfh4.jpg

Marvelous.

We took off, taking the M2 back toward home base.
Now, I've seen enough Michael Bay movies to know what happens when things go awry, and my mind was racing overtime with all the death and destruction that we could have caused everything went wrong. We stopped to check. And Stopped again. And again. And again.

I knew taking the plunge of picking up this mystery shell had paid off when, cruising along slowly in the left lane, a biker shot past at break neck speed. His tail light lit up like a Christmas tree, and before I knew it he had slowed down to our pace. He saddled up next to us, looking as closely as his bike would allow him to the shell. The inquisitive rider sped up slowly, gave us all a big thumbs up of appreciation before bolting for the horizon, leaving a grin plastered across all our faces.
Completely Worth it.

Next chapter?
Sorting out the prize...

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k627/OMClarke/IMG_0426_zpsm6jvk5xc.jpg

Follow the Photo Fun:
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=95238 

- '70 1500 Beetle (The Clean One)
- '76 1300 Beetle (The In-between One)
- '69 1500 Beetle (The Mean One)
Memberadlbeetle66
A.k.a.: Denver
Custom Title Time!
Under the car.........again!

Threads: 98

Mood: ICH BIN VW NUSS

posted on June 15th, 2015 at 07:59 PM

Nice :tu:
Loving the little story here...

BTW, you need to update your signature

- '57 1100 Beetle (The Prize One) :lol:
Memberretroresto
Wolfsburg Wizard
A.K.A Paul

Threads: 147

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Green
Mood: Depends on how my VW is running

posted on June 16th, 2015 at 01:27 PM

Nice score Ollie. You Lucky Boy!

Shouldnt take much to get it back on the road.

:tu:

Go To Top