Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 6292 | Total Replies: 75 | Thread Id: 109937 ]
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject:  buying a 1959 beetle. What to look for?
Memberadlbeetle66
A.k.a.: Denver
Custom Title Time!
Under the car.........again!

Threads: 98

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: ICH BIN VW NUSS

posted on October 23rd, 2015 at 07:58 PM

1960 beetle will be enough info. Easy enough to get most parts for Volkswagens! :tu: Unlike a lot of other makes :)

Where are you located? We can tell you the closest and best place to get parts :spin:
Memberbushed
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 66

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on October 23rd, 2015 at 08:09 PM

you have the rest of your life to learn
that car is no basket case a rare find in such condition

get it clean it out touch up rust inhibitor and use it as a rat until you have the $$ to repaint you can do bits of mechanical upgrades step by step.

want any vw bits old but like me, Made in Germany!!!
Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

posted on October 24th, 2015 at 05:41 PM

I live in Lara, suburb outside Geelong in Victoria. I imagine there should be some good places in Melbourne to get stuff from? I know there is a geelong company around, but they have just moved and not sure where to!

I stuffed up the trailer booking for today to pickup the car, so will get it tomorrow morning. In a way it worked out well as I went out and sorted through all the parts and started bringing some home! I have a motor, a full front and rear suspension/gearbox off something with 4 stud wheels and front disc brakes and a gear box with bolt in driveshafts. I will post some pictures so you can tell me if they are worth keeping and using or not.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error

Just bought a Beetle, Let the learning and Fun Begin!
Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on October 24th, 2015 at 05:47 PM

Had a fun day getting all this stuff home, but I want to only keep what I am going to use. I have another full gearbox andfront/rear suspension coming home tomorrow to, but it is the 5 stud large wheel centre pattern set. I notice the set I have home has ball joints on it, when did they change to them?

Error

Error

MemberCarl and Emily
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 38

posted on October 25th, 2015 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coletrickle
Just looked at those photos again,mate thats a spectacular bug.Check out the thread on carl and emilys 62 beetle it had a simular feel and came up a treat and is still quite orignal.

Thanks Cole, It's nice to know you remember our car.

Here is the link to our 62
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=96490&page=1
and to give you a comparison here is the link to our 68.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=97513&page=1
Which might give you some inspiration to have that damage repaired rather than cut cutting and replacing panels.
Especially since the nose crunch damage in front is/was similar.
An old panel beater once posed the question.
If you simply replace panels on a car rather than repair the originals, is it still the same car?
It's only original once and it appears that you have a fantastic mostly rust free original car.
That interior looks fantastic.
and are those the original cardboard covers in the front bonet area?
If so they also look in great condition and very hard to find.

I would encourage you to find one in worse condition if you want to go down the restoration route.

Depending on how much you bought it for you have a chance to get your money back on that in long run if you go down the preservation route.
In my opinion the classic car scene here is way behind that of the USA, Europe, and the UK. However have a look on sites such as http://www.thesamba.com/vw/ and have a look at the cars that bring the big money.
Of course it's your car to do with as you please.
But you really do appear to have great base for a 'survivor.'
Let it be proud of it's age.

I would even encourage you to find a correct year engine for that, or better yet try and find the original one.
Why is it missing???

May I suggest one important question to ask yourself if you are considering the restoration route. Because top restorations cost a bomb.
Is this the model of car that I always dreamed of to restore?

If it isn't then move this one on to someone like me:dork:, and keep searching for your dream model of car.

We would all like heaps more photo's please.
Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage VW ownership.
Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on October 25th, 2015 at 04:02 PM

Thanks Carl and Emily. I tried to find your thread from the earlier posts with no luck.

I have the car home now and have taken heaps for photos which I can post up if you like. I had a very light go at polishing a small area and was amazed to see it start to shine! Might go down the clean up route! I have always liked these cars and already looking forward to starting it.

The original engine apparently suffered a broken crank. Not sure how that happened, I have been able to get the details of the person who has it, but it was taken over 18 months again so not holding my breath!

I have a few projects around the house I have to do before I start getting the car back on the road, but my wife is now liking the car, rather than wondering if I had lost my mind now its out of the dusty shed it was in! She has also given my a time frame to have it back on the road by, its 60 birthday! haha

MemberCarl and Emily

posted on October 25th, 2015 at 05:59 PM

That's great that you have a lead on the original engine. I would definitely track it down if possible.
Even if you do nothing with it and put in another engine.
If the original stays with the car it probably would make it a more desirable car in the future if your circumstances change and you decide to sell the car.

Yes, definitately post more pics when you can. We all like to see them.

I noticed it still has a dealer service sticker on the drivers door jamb. That's very cool. Our's has one that looks the same. I would leave that there when you clean it, adds to the history of it.

Your dash is very cool. Nice and clean. YOu even still have the horn ring. Usually they are snapped off.
I would urge you not to cut the dash for a modern radio like so many have been.
and as previously said that probably dealer fitted fuel gauge is super cool, and the fact being your model you also have the benefit of a reserve tap. That was deleted for 62.5 model. and the more common fuel gauge became standard. (unless you bought a 'standard' model car)
Here is a post about standards.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=99135&page=1

It's great news when our better halves support funds being spent on these little cars. I'm sure you both will have a great time buggin' about when you get it on the road, but enjoy the journey getting it there.

It'll be great to see another one back on the road.

You really do have a great little 'diamond in the rough' there , fantastic find and save.

Carl
Memberlou0060
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 30

posted on October 26th, 2015 at 04:59 PM

just to add to the allure....

August 59 chassis no started at 2528668 as has been mentioned earlier
December 59 chassis no were 2801613 (as per my VW factory workshop book, blue folder)

so late 59 chassis at least......

Hey Phil, I don't normally argue with your facts as you are the MASTER ;);)

1971 karmann ghia Cabrio - Cruising :yes:
1963 beetle Sunroof - gathering dust :fakesniff:
1968 race beetle - twin turbo Subaru - stress relief :smilegrin:
1960 beetle - old school low & slow :smirk:
Memberlou0060
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on October 26th, 2015 at 05:04 PM

oh, forgot to say that the Geelong business you were refering to is Gary at Wolfsburg Automotive ph 03 9988 0799. Good guy and knows heaps about old VW's, in fact was there today.

Also try Boris at VWDS in Sydney 02 97891777

and I'm sure there are some others in Melb as well.

Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on October 26th, 2015 at 08:51 PM

The back of the speedometer has 5.60 stamped on the back, among other numbers. So may 1960 build? I have put the car in the garage and rearranging the rest of the space to work around the new toy! Looking forward to working on it, so I better hurry up and get the other jobs done! Will post some more photos soon. I need to know what some levers are on the floor at the front and stuff like that, hope you guys can help with that!

Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 1st, 2015 at 04:37 PM

Some more photos as requested! This is an awesome little car, everytime I am in the garage, my 11 year old son comes out and sits in the car, playing around! When I stir him about it all he says is "What? I can't help it, I have loved Herbies for as long as I can remember!" How cool is that! Can wait to get started on it!

Error

Error

Error

Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 1st, 2015 at 04:41 PM

Can any of you guys tell me what these levers/knobs are please? The rubber floor mat is in fine condition except someone has fitted speakers in the rear and cut the matt to run the wires. ggrrr!!!!

Error

Error

Error

Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 1st, 2015 at 04:44 PM

Seats are in okay condition, considering the age. Are the taillights the correct ones for this car? I have all the service books and I think almost every recept for anything done to the car, heads reconditioned, seat belts fitted and all that sort of stuff!

Error

Error

Memberadlbeetle66
Custom Title Time!

posted on November 1st, 2015 at 06:42 PM

On the floor the lever is for the reserve fuel tank and the button is for high beam :) Push on, Push off.

Think you're meant to have different tail lights to that? Someone else will confirm...
Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 1st, 2015 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by adlbeetle66
On the floor the lever is for the reserve fuel tank and the button is for high beam :) Push on, Push off.

Think you're meant to have different tail lights to that? Someone else will confirm...

So the lever, which I first thought was just a hook on the firewall for the carpet is for the fuel reserve? I had seen the headlight switch on the floor. What is the knob next to the seats then?

I have the same faded light for the right tail light, so not sure if they are original or not. It is not meant to have the front guard indicators, so am not sure if they changed the tail lights too!

MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on November 2nd, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Those taillights are correct. They are the taillights fitted to Australian cars when the front blinkers were also fitted in 1960 Australian VWs had these until halfway through 1962. The Australian factory had some 'crossover' and often fitted older parts to newer cars until they were used up. Dealers of the time also updated older cars with newer parts as required or requested.

Those taillights were unique to Australia and Italy, so they are almost impossible to find NOS now. They were never fitted to US-spec or UK-spec cars so the American/UK VW parts places don't have them.

http://www.clubvw.org.au/austvw001 

The knob under the seat is the position control. Lift the knob (to rotate the shaft) and the seat can slide forward or back. The larger knob on the tunnel, just next to the gearstick, is the heater control. You turn the knob and it pulls the heater cables, which open the flaps in the heat exchangers and the fan pushes the hot air into the cabin through the footwell vents and the windscreen bottom corners. The mid-1962 model added sliding covers for the front floor vents, and also rear outlets under the back seat.

You should buy a glovebox VW Owners' Guide ('Instruction Manual)' , which covers all the issues faced by new VW owners. They usually come up on Ebay. Keep it in its grey vinyl folder, with your service booklet, dealer folder and accessory booklet, in the glovebox.

Error
MemberCarl and Emily

posted on November 2nd, 2015 at 08:31 PM

Does this car have semaphores?
It's a bit hard to see in the pics.

If it does then the tail lights are not correct.

If it doesn't then like phil says they are correct and rare.

I notice that the front indicators appear to be in different positions on each side.
So there is a chance you have a replacement guard on there.

and in the front guard I notice its painted black. This should be body colour from factory.
So check for rust repair patches most commonly down near the heater channel.
This is a common repair.

Atleast they didn't cut your door cards for speakers. Install of speakers like that is part of it's history, common for the era.

Still a lovely original 'time capsule' bug.
Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 2nd, 2015 at 08:32 PM

I think I already have that book in the glovebox with the car! I will have to sort something out with the taillights as wont pass roadworthy faded! I have been spending heaps of time on the net researching everything I have, need to separate the 2 sets of driveshafts from the gearboxes so they are easier to store and things like that! All fun! Turns out the engine I have is a 1200, so atleast that will be easy to register the car with! This is all fun!

Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 2nd, 2015 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl and Emily
Does this car have semaphores?
It's a bit hard to see in the pics.

If it does then the tail lights are not correct.

If it doesn't then like phil says they are correct and rare.

I notice that the front indicators appear to be in different positions on each side.
So there is a chance you have a replacement guard on there.

and in the front guard I notice its painted black. This should be body colour from factory.
So check for rust repair patches most commonly down near the heater channel.
This is common repair.

Atleast they didn't cut your door cards for speakers.

Still a lovely original bug.

The car does have the semaphores in the pillars, so what lights should it have. I know the right front guard was replaced previous to the hit in the front. I was also told it did not have the front guard indicators, that they put them on, that's why one is in wrong spot too! Its a good little car. Looking forward to working on it too. Are there any good vw clubs/shows I should attend/look at? I am in Geelong, Victoria

MemberCarl and Emily

posted on November 2nd, 2015 at 08:46 PM

Ahh,. if it has semaphores then it would have had plain red taillights. and nothing on the front guards as you say.
What gave it away for me without being able to see the semaphores was the position of the lights themselves.
Somewhat lower than on my '62.5
I'm not up on the different types of red only tail lights, I'm sure someone on here will know and chime in.
Installation of indicators was a common 'upgrade' and might have happened early on in its life if they used 50/50 tail lights. (that's what yours are incidentally.)
You could possibly look at fitting the common tail lights like on mine to get you through road worthy, then keep an eye out for some 50/50's if you are going to retain the indicators.
I would, but maybe get the semaphores working also.
All part of it's history.
Very cool.
Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 2nd, 2015 at 09:11 PM

wow there are so many changes from year to year, makes it hard to work it all out. I will be getting the semaphores working for sure, I was very happy when I saw this car had them, always wanted them for some reason, lucky last model to have them by the sounds of it. So should the rear lights be like the flat lights on an oval window? Need a picture! haha! Then I know what to look for.

I will have to start going to swap meets and stuff like that for some of this stuff. I have a trip planned to America in feb/march next year, so might be able to find some interesting things over there! Already seem a rear view mirror and twin sunvisor kit for it.

Memberlou0060
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on November 3rd, 2015 at 06:40 PM

yep, the rear lights should be the same as mid 55 to 59 Beetle so what is usually referred to as 'oval taillights, not to be confused with the 53-54-early 55 lights which are usually called..... opps brain freeze.....

So also shouldn't have the front indicators on the guards....

also. what do the door handles look like? push button or pick handle??

now looking at the photos of all the other bits, the front end is later as it has disc brakes and probably 4 stud

the gearbox without axles is an IRS also later so won't be of use to you, best to sell at a swap meet or via the parts selling forum here, ditto the front end.

When you get the bonnet fixed whatever you do don't let them swap it as that bonnet is very hard to find......

Are you going to DoVW next weekend?

Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 3rd, 2015 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lou0060
yep, the rear lights should be the same as mid 55 to 59 Beetle so what is usually referred to as 'oval taillights, not to be confused with the 53-54-early 55 lights which are usually called..... opps brain freeze.....

So also shouldn't have the front indicators on the guards....

also. what do the door handles look like? push button or pick handle??

now looking at the photos of all the other bits, the front end is later as it has disc brakes and probably 4 stud

the gearbox without axles is an IRS also later so won't be of use to you, best to sell at a swap meet or via the parts selling forum here, ditto the front end.

When you get the bonnet fixed whatever you do don't let them swap it as that bonnet is very hard to find......

Are you going to DoVW next weekend?

The door handles are push buttons I believe, Put the key in the lock and then push in that area to open the door.

I was wondering if the ball joint front end could be used as would be better for handling etc and also put disc brakes on it, but I want to keep the original 5 stud wheel size. Is that possible easily?

I had worked out the gearbox was of no use as mine is swing axle, are the gears etc better and can be swapped into the other cases if needed? Is that a full syncro gearbox where the early boxes are not?

What is the differences in the bonnet that I need to look for? Better get a good panelshop on side! Lucky I have contacts in the trade!

I just discovered the Day of the VW event, Am trying to organise it as we speak! Is it a good day?

Thanks for the info!

Memberadlbeetle66
Custom Title Time!

posted on November 3rd, 2015 at 07:11 PM

So you should have the snowflakes?

The earlier ones are referred to the heart-shaped?!

Cheers
Memberlou0060
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on November 3rd, 2015 at 07:20 PM

should be a good day. i am coming down from Brissy on business so will combine, lucky me!

so, yes push button handles which is okay.

front end won't fit. You can use the discs on a link pin FE but requires machining etc and not generally done. If you are staying with the original engine then brakes should be okay as long as you rebuild them.. I'd change the wheel cylinders, hoses and maybe even the master cylinder and maybe get the drum machined if they are not too worn.

You can get after market 5 stud disc brake kits, Boris and all the other shops have them now. $500 to $600 from memory...

no gears are interchangeable between those two that I know of, but I'm no gearbox whiz.....

with the bonnet the thing to look for is the little black badge and how it connects to the bonnet. Someone might correct me but I think the black badge has 3 tabs whereas the earlier oval blueish badge has only 2 and obviously from late 62 early 63 no badge hence no holes in the bonnet.... And the VW emblem up top is different as well...

I know you're watching Phil, so can you confirm, should this have a 36HP engine or early 40HP? being it was Australian made and not CKD, ( I think) it would be the first of the 1200 'fresh air' 40's????

We'll have to catch up next Sunday if you make the show.....

Memberlou0060
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on November 3rd, 2015 at 07:22 PM

thanks Denver, heart shape was what I was after.....

Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 3rd, 2015 at 07:36 PM

So I will chase down a set of snow flakes for the rear and keep the panels as original as possible.

In what way does the front suspension not fit?

As I don't have the original engine and I don't think I could cope with the slow pace of the 36/40hp engines, I was intending to put a bigger, faster engine in it, but keep everything else as original as practical. Was thinking disc brakes on the front to be safe, and also use the ball joint style front suspension. Sounds like that wont work?

Just organised the doVW day, so will be there! Looking forward to our 1st VW show as an owner. Shame I can't drive my car there! Will bring my son with me! Are you bring the Karman ghia down for a run as its your cruiser?! haha!

Memberpyoties bro
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 28

posted on November 3rd, 2015 at 09:50 PM

I thought the 50/50 tail lights were only for the 1961 year beetles?
Memberharasn
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 4th, 2015 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pyoties bro
I thought the 50/50 tail lights were only for the 1961 year beetles?

I know this car had the front guard lights added and suspected the rear lights had been changed at the same time to put the indicators on. Car is a 1960 Australian build for sure!

I have just worked out why I can not use the ball joint front suspension beam as the parallel bars of the beam, are different distances apart compared to the king pin front beam. Interesting! Seems I am learning something new everyday at the moment! haha

Memberlou0060
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on November 4th, 2015 at 06:36 PM

haha getting too old to drive that far in the old girl, plus my other old girl is coming with me so she insists on flying....

funny enough my Ghia has been to DOVW in 88, 89, 90 and 91 before we moved back to Sydney..

will have owned her for 30 years in January 2016.....

I'll be hanging around the VWDub stand with Boris and Michael just ask for me there..... or around the swap area.....

Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top