Author: Subject:  1970 beetle
Memberpaslow22
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 54

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on December 17th, 2015 at 09:38 PM
1970 beetle

Just returned to beetles after 25 years and purchased one from Victoria and had a well known vw company do a pre purchase check, told me all was good with some minor problems, compression a bit low but maybe due to the lumpy cam, ok I said, the car lasted about 2 hours then went bang. and then died forever.

Then it was trucked home after waiting 2 weeks. NRMA premium road service Bless em. (don't leave home without it)
So I am in the process of reconditioning the engine, 1835, engle 100 cam, reground crank, reco rods ,new barrels etc, an lots of other stuff, twin 40 mm solex carbs, plus a little body work but otherwise all is good, I start after the new year.

The last beetle I had was a 73L with a full flare kit, 2180 from the US, and I should have kept it. :mad:

Darryl
Memberwombatventures
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 44

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Orange
Mood: BUSted, BUGgered & NOTCHed

posted on December 18th, 2015 at 06:07 AM

Welcome back to the Beetle clan Darryl. Plenty of knowledge around here.
Bummer that the engine went bang so quickly but at least now you can get it built so that you know it's right.
Where are you based? Add some pics too.

[size=5]DUBS BY THE RIVER2021[/size] Morgan SA - Sept 18-19 2021

Currently suffering from delusions of sanity!
Memberpaslow22
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 54

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on December 18th, 2015 at 11:15 AM
1970bug

Quote:
Originally posted by wombatventures
Welcome back to the Beetle clan Darryl. Plenty of knowledge around here.
Bummer that the engine went bang so quickly but at least now you can get it built so that you know it's right.
Where are you based? Add some pics too. [/
Thanks for the welcome , I live on the central coast nsw, sending pictures i will have to see how i go with that,
The car is a state of mild resto, new carpet, steering wheel , procar rally seats need recovering, new front w screen,, fix a few little rest spots and throw a little paint aroundr, hopefully build the motor January.
Have two guards off ,running boards, and all the new bits on the garage floor, on my wifes side ,
I contacted the guy who built the car about 10 years ago, did it for his daughter , took him 3years to do and he painted everything and I mean everything, brake lines, starter motor,, gearbox, you name it its painted which is good for me. Looks good.
Darryl

Go To Top