Author: Subject:  Can I use '70 parts on a '71
Membertashgonewalkabout
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 26th, 2016 at 11:27 AM
Can I use '70 parts on a '71

Greetings folks, new here, fairly new to my car, but I think I'll be around a bit having found this forum.
Anyhow, I have a 1971 Notchback (chopped into a soft top ) that is an ongoing project of love. It's also my daily driver. I live in a fairly remote town ( Kalgoorlie) so accessing parts is hard.
Someone is selling a '70 Notchback, which I'm very tempted to buy for parts, mainly a couple of panels, steering wheel and tail lights. And whatever else I can pilfer.
Could someone please tell me if these models are similar/ the same to do this.
Thank you very much.
MemberACE76
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 19

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: ACE 30 FOR SALE!

posted on July 26th, 2016 at 02:29 PM

VLAD, from counrty Vic. is an/the local expert on late model Notches (1969/70/71) -- but he has gone quiet lately.
Notch's detail-features may be slightly "behind" Fastbacks and Wagons -- in The Australian marketplace, anyway... maybe because they were the slowest selling Type 3 by then, and hung-on longer to using older ( & poss. local?) parts...

All that aside, if the cars are genuine 1970 & 71, the parts should generally be very similar, if not identical (and a late '70 shoiuld be exactly identical to an early '71)... IF both cars are made/sold in Aust! ... sometimes the year claimed is wrong, or parts/chassis have been changed, or a car is even imported from elsewhere, so you must look at Specific detials!
eg. There were significant detail differences between "1970 (local content), 1971 (imported) and 1972" model Fastbacks -- wipers/dash/vents/brakes/steering wheel/seats ( but these may not all apply to the slower-selling Notch?).
The model year starts in Aug., but cars were first reg. at varying times after being built.
You really need to get specific details/photos of the parts invloved if poss. You may be able to get the exact details (Date, Chassis No.) from the compliance plate on each car. There is also a body no. inside the front boot.

ACE 30 & ACE 40 oil: specially formulated for your Air Cooled Engine...
Delivery free Outer Eastern Melb. & Dandenong Ranges.
from$19 for 2.5L (spot-on for 1 fill, re-use bottle to measure), or $29 for 5L (2 fills)
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on July 26th, 2016 at 04:25 PM

Yes I believe they are....
but make sure they have the same front guards...
and large tail lamps etc....
BUT maybe an early 70 model could be the same as a late 1969 model which are different....

I had a late 70 model type 3 squareback in the 70's and it was a late model ..... same as 1971 model etc... with the large square type bumpers ...
and large front wrap around blinkers and large tail lamps with reverse lamps in them... if Your car doesn't have any of these then You need parts from a 1969 or earlier model... I'm not sure when they changed over to 12 volts.

LEE

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Membertashgonewalkabout
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 26th, 2016 at 04:30 PM

Thank you- I'll have a crack at putting some photos up, hopefully someone has a keen eye 😆 for details.
Lucky I got the slow developer!
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 73

posted on July 26th, 2016 at 07:59 PM

The 1969 model year was the old body style. The 1970 model year (August 69) on was the late body with the square section bumpers, large tail lights, large front indicators etc on all Notch, Square and Fastback. The dash and steering wheel changed somewhere around 71/72 from memory.

Lee, Are you going to Valla? I'm thinking of taking a run up in the S this year!!

DH
Membercruiser
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 17

posted on July 26th, 2016 at 09:51 PM

I would think pretty much everything late model type 3 is pretty much the same body wise. The 72-and 73 have some changes like high back seats, steering wheel, inside door handles and dash instruments.

Id be interested in the boot lid and engine lid from the notch you found, these will fit all the earlier cars too. I am in Perth just down the road.
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on July 26th, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1500S
The 1969 model year was the old body style. The 1970 model year (August 69) on was the late body with the square section bumpers, large tail lights, large front indicators etc on all Notch, Square and Fastback. The dash and steering wheel changed somewhere around 71/72 from memory.

Lee, Are you going to Valla? I'm thinking of taking a run up in the S this year!!

DH

Hi Dallas
I hope to be going to Valla Nambucca Heads, Not in My Beetle though.
My Sister in Law & husband have just moved to Nambucca heads so We will be visiting them. Hope to see You and the "S" up there.

Lee

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 27th, 2016 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug
Quote:

DH

Hi Dallas
I hope to be going to Valla Nambucca Heads, Not in My Beetle though.
My Sister in Law & husband have just moved to Nambucca heads so We will be visiting them. Hope to see You and the "S" up there.

Lee

Will do Lee. Going up Friday. It hasn't been anywhere long distance like that for 6 years!

DH
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 27th, 2016 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cruiser
I would think pretty much everything late model type 3 is pretty much the same body wise. The 72-and 73 have some changes like high back seats, steering wheel, inside door handles and dash instruments.

Id be interested in the boot lid and engine lid from the notch you found, these will fit all the earlier cars too. I am in Perth just down the road.

I should have looked you up back in May! I was at Caversham/Whiteman Park for a couple of weeks. Was travelling with some Brits and was tied up with "other interests" at Whiteman.

DH
Membercruiser
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 17

posted on July 27th, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by cruiser

I should have looked you up back in May! I was at Caversham/Whiteman Park for a couple of weeks. Was travelling with some Brits and was tied up with "other interests" at Whiteman.

DH

Yeah you should of, I always have the energy to talk type 3.
Membertashgonewalkabout
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 28th, 2016 at 09:01 AM

Thanks folks, all your help and ideas are great. Looks like adding photos will have to wait until I access an actual computer ( resizing on my phone is beyond me).
Cruiser - if I manage to get the car, I'll let you know. I rarely go to Perth but something can always be managed 😊

Go To Top