Membermikamika
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 13th, 2016 at 07:29 AM
Generator

Hi all,
This is my first attempt to bring a tired 1967 beetle back to life for my 16 yo daughter who is on her learners. Hopefully, by the time she gets her license the car will be ready.
Along with many things that need attention, I have found out the 12V generator requires replacing. As this bug is original, well to the best of my knowledge, and apart from the fact it has a 1600 instead of the original 1300, it looks relatively untouched. So I am leaning towards keeping the generator, unless I'm talked into an alternator.
Now this is the catch, my daughter is paying for all repairs and fix ups, therefore budget is the first priority because she only has a casual job as a waitress.
We hope to do many things, such as, remove small portions of rust, re-paint, new interior etc.

So.....to start off with, if anyone knows where I can get my generator repaired, an exchange or new one, please let me know.

I am located at Birkdale, Brisbane area. I can travel metro Brisbane and happy for people to contact me on email....japt1421@gmail.com.

Happy restoration...:)
MemberAA003
A.k.a.: Phill
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 39

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2

posted on September 13th, 2016 at 05:11 PM

Check the brushes first. 5 minute job to replace.

I read it on samba, so it must be correct.

Sometimes Volkswagen dealers sell spare parts. Amazing isn't it!:lol:
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on September 13th, 2016 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikamika
Hi all,
This is my first attempt to bring a tired 1967 beetle back to life for my 16 yo daughter who is on her learners. Hopefully, by the time she gets her license the car will be ready.
Along with many things that need attention, I have found out the 12V generator requires replacing. As this bug is original, well to the best of my knowledge, and apart from the fact it has a 1600 instead of the original 1300, it looks relatively untouched. So I am leaning towards keeping the generator, unless I'm talked into an alternator.
Now this is the catch, my daughter is paying for all repairs and fix ups, therefore budget is the first priority because she only has a casual job as a waitress.
We hope to do many things, such as, remove small portions of rust, re-paint, new interior etc.

So.....to start off with, if anyone knows where I can get my generator repaired, an exchange or new one, please let me know.

I am located at Birkdale, Brisbane area. I can travel metro Brisbane and happy for people to contact me on email....japt1421@gmail.com.

Happy restoration...:)

Yes, it may be the brushes need replacing, very inexpensive, or the voltage regulator needs replacing....
Major problem with the generator is the weight, so it would be great to be able to pick one up in Your own area...
To keep expenses down, no need to go to an alternator.... at least at this stage...
Now there should be heaps of good generators and regulators out there that have been exchanged for an alternator.
As most VW owners don't throw anything away..... :lol::lol:

Have you looked at the website : http://www.vw-resource.com 
this is an excellent website for beetle owners and restorers.

Lee

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]

Go To Top