Author: Subject:  Indicator wiring "Newcastle"
Membertristanm
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 29

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on September 27th, 2016 at 11:59 AM
Indicator wiring "Newcastle"

Hey guys,
Iam just having a heap of trouble getting my indicators to work on my type 3. Kept blowing fuse number 4 everytime i switched the indicators on. I took it to my mechanic and while he was having a look over the engine he said he would quickly sus it out.
He ended up putting a new turn assembly in and said sometimes there is shorts somewhere else that may burn them out. Car was fine for about 3-4 days then started blowing the number 4 fuse again.

I have checked/redone the ground points on all the headlights, the loom is stripped back all in the car... dash out ect can see anything that should be shorting(tried replacing bulbs).
I have a feeling it might be because my headlight switch doesnt match my flasher switch but iam not overly sure.

Would there be anyone in the newcastle area willing to come lend a hand for half an hour or so and help me figure it out!
Iam almost at my wits end and ready to give in and take it to the auto elec.
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: happy all the time

posted on September 27th, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tristanm
Hey guys,
Iam just having a heap of trouble getting my indicators to work on my type 3. Kept blowing fuse number 4 everytime i switched the indicators on. I took it to my mechanic and while he was having a look over the engine he said he would quickly sus it out.
He ended up putting a new turn assembly in and said sometimes there is shorts somewhere else that may burn them out. Car was fine for about 3-4 days then started blowing the number 4 fuse again.

I have checked/redone the ground points on all the headlights, the loom is stripped back all in the car... dash out ect can see anything that should be shorting(tried replacing bulbs).
I have a feeling it might be because my headlight switch doesnt match my flasher switch but iam not overly sure.

Would there be anyone in the newcastle area willing to come lend a hand for half an hour or so and help me figure it out!

The first question is -does it have a tow bar and a utilux 5 or 7 pin plug because the grub screw falls out allowing the pin block to fall back inside and short out. If no tow bar isolate the l/H wiring at the connector and if OK try the R/H connector. I am assuming that the fuse only blows when the flasher switch is operated as there are other items that may use the same fuse i.e brake lights.
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on September 27th, 2016 at 11:41 PM
SHORT CIRCUIT TO EARTH-GROUND IN BLINKER CIRCUIT..

It is pretty simple to hook up the blinkers to a generic 3 pin blinker unit.
the wire from the blinker unit goes to a terminal on the round blinker unit.
another wire goes to the blinker bulb in the speedo.... and the other wire 15 goes to another wire.
I'll explain tomorrow.. as I have just been working on my 68 Beetle...

Shame I'm not closer

what year model type 3??

You must have a short circuit somewhere in the blinker circuit.... a bare wire somewhere.... intermittantly shorting to earth [body].. could even be in a blinker lamp....
I'll check what else goes thru number 4 fuse in a type 3...
there should only be power to the circuit when the ignition is ON....

LEE

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Membertristanm
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on September 28th, 2016 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grumble
Quote:
Originally posted by tristanm
Hey guys,

The first question is -does it have a tow bar and a utilux 5 or 7 pin plug because the grub screw falls out allowing the pin block to fall back inside and short out. If no tow bar isolate the l/H wiring at the connector and if OK try the R/H connector. I am assuming that the fuse only blows when the flasher switch is operated as there are other items that may use the same fuse i.e brake lights.

Going to have another go at it today. Had a led 2 prong flasher and iam pretty sure its meant to have a 3prong or a 4prong. So ill go get a new one of those. I know how to isolate the lh and rh ill try that as well. It has issues even when the hazard light switch is pulled not only using the turn indicator.
Membertristanm
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on September 28th, 2016 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug
It is pretty simple to hook up the blinkers to a generic 3 pin blinker unit.
the wire from the blinker unit goes to a terminal on the round blinker unit.
another wire goes to the blinker bulb in the speedo.... and the other wire 15 goes to another wire.
I'll explain tomorrow.. as I have just been working on my 68 Beetle...

Shame I'm not closer

what year model type 3??

You must have a short circuit somewhere in the blinker circuit.... a bare wire somewhere.... intermittantly shorting to earth [body].. could even be in a blinker lamp....
I'll check what else goes thru number 4 fuse in a type 3...
there should only be power to the circuit when the ignition is ON....

LEE

Its a 1970 but it seems like this is the year the flasher changed from 3-4 pin so iam not sure exactly what i should have in there! Its a mission i have the whole harness pretty much stripped back now so i might just run new wirings for all the lights to be sure thats all looking good!
Membertristanm
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on September 28th, 2016 at 02:07 PM

Oh btw here is a picture of my car! :D

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Membertristanm
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on September 28th, 2016 at 06:43 PM

Ok had a quick look again today. I isolated both sides was still blowing fuses. Took both of them out entirely and it was still blowing fuses. Does this mean there is something wrong with my switches or gauge possibly ?
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on September 29th, 2016 at 06:35 PM

Apologies, I haven't looked up the type 3 wiring diagram as yet.
I know USA beetle wiring diagrams are entirely different to those in Australian Beetles, fully imported and assembled here...
and I don't know where My type 3 workshop manual is...
I'll check all My other manuals then look on the internet....

If You take out fuse number 4, what doesn't work apart from the blinkers??

LEE

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberDrewtay13
Casual Dubber

Threads: 6

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on November 28th, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Did you try a new switch?
I also had this sort of issue, and found that the lugs on the blinker switch (the part that pulls out for the hazards) and 2 of the plugs were touching. I know it seems simple, and I am sure you have checked this?

1962 Split Panel (NoName)
1964 Notch (NoName and for sale) Completely stripped
1970 Type 3 Square (Gerty)
1971 Type 3 Fasty (Molly)
1972 Kombi LowLight Panel Hi-topper (Reg)

Go To Top