[ Total Views: 872 | Total Replies: 7 | Thread Id: 111622 ]
Author: Subject:  Horn constantly Grounded
Membersmithy68
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 145

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on October 1st, 2016 at 06:32 PM
Horn constantly Grounded

Hi I have a 67 VW beetle, the type that the column, bearing is live but protected from ground.

My issue is I have had the column out of the car multiple times to try and resolve, I know that the column rubbers are new and insulating from body ground. The ground wire that runs down the steering shaft I have replaced twice to be sure it was not grounding inside the shaft.
The issue is I have a ground on the steering shaft piece between the steering wheel and the coupling and I should have no ground.

Is there something I have missed? I am loosing my mind trying to fix it.

If there are any suggestions or things I might have missed please do tell. Many thanks.

P.S I currently have a light globe where the horn would usually attach for testing. I have noticed when I turn the steering the globe will dim considerably in certain spots but never go out totally.

Here is a diagram of the steering/horn setups, mine is the 60-67

http://www.jbugs.com/VW-Tech-Article-Steering-Wheel-Horn-Diagrams.html 
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: happy all the time

posted on October 1st, 2016 at 07:56 PM

There is a piece screwed under the steering wheel to cancel the bllnkers,this is insulated,sometimes the insulation is missing and the horn will blow ,another issue can be the screws that hold the horn ring are also insulated if the insulation is OK the screws may be overtightened causing the problem. unfortunately there are so many possibilities that it is hard to diagnose without actually working from a starting point. i assume that the column does not contact the outer column at any stage.
Membersmithy68
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on October 1st, 2016 at 10:11 PM

Yes the column does contact the outer column as the whole thing is hot, my model the bearing is not insulated, I have the ground still with the indicator stalk and steering wheel off, I have got to be missing something really simple.
Memberpsimitar

Threads: 148

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue

posted on October 2nd, 2016 at 10:34 PM

Righto, so the outer column has the positive from the actual horn connected under the fuel tank at the base of the outer column? This makes both the outer column and steering shaft positive, yes?
With the steering wheel removed and the ground wire dangling in mid air from the hollow of the steering shaft? Hence no way for a ground short to exist in the steering wheel?

If all of this is correct then you either have a short in the wire from the horn to the column or the rubber coupler to the steering box is grounding the steering shaft. This has been known to happen due to metal mesh being sandwiched in the rubber coupler making the coupler conductive.

madness is in the eye of the beholder :yes:
Membersmithy68
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on October 4th, 2016 at 06:54 AM

I have found the fault, the steering coupling inside the bolt holes where the metal collars were removed there is a copper metal touching the collars and bolt causing an earth, I assumed they were solid rubber!! Unbelievable, Cheers for all the help guys
So the part number 251 419 417b has a metal reinforced layer, and I assume the 251 419 417 does not.
Memberpsimitar

posted on October 12th, 2016 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by smithy68
I have found the fault, the steering coupling inside the bolt holes where the metal collars were removed there is a copper metal touching the collars and bolt causing an earth, I assumed they were solid rubber!! Unbelievable, Cheers for all the help guys
So the part number 251 419 417b has a metal reinforced layer, and I assume the 251 419 417 does not.

ah ha, I win again :) Glad I could steer you towards the problem. :)

madness is in the eye of the beholder :yes:
Membersmithy68
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on October 13th, 2016 at 06:34 PM

Thanks psimitar!
Memberpsimitar

posted on October 13th, 2016 at 06:56 PM